Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defending was horrid. Swansea went from being in the game to giving up real quick.

I've always been a Lukaku fan. Hate seeming him at United.

2. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The scoreline flatters United though of course, Martial is a joy to watch when he gets on.

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Putin would kill Abramovich with zero issue.

4. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the premier league "extra time" channels just don't exist anymore?

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nope. Need to buy an additional online streaming package.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Salah looks like he's really good. Between him and Mane, it's possible that Liverpool are no longer idiots at transfers. What is the world coming to?

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    898926583792062464 is not a valid tweet id

Blueallthru, cantona94 and thebigman repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Teams marching out to duel of the fates, but it's really Darth Maul vs Count Dooku today.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pay extra for the extra time channels, but not for the streaming service. The extra time was awesome for watching multiple games at once. Can't flip between streams with ease . . . all good things must come to and end I guess.

NorthBank and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Same. I pay for MLS Live so I can watch Red Bulls games while living in Chicago, but other than that, I'll never drop a dime on sports streaming services. I hate watching sports on the computer; it's 100x better through a TV.

NorthBank repped this.
  12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You have your current Russian history quite wrong.

cantona94 repped this.
  13. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple TV lets me steam to my TV. I could never go back to having cable or sat for regular TV.

14. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    899168554767056896 is not a valid tweet id

AEAAFC96, cantona94 and Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing beats being able to flip between matches, though.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Explain

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I'll assume you forgot the polite please. But, very well:

Abramovich had nothing to do with Putin's political rise. That was Berezovsky, who was very close to Yeltsin's daughter, and was a huge power broker. At the time, Berezovsky was arguably the most visible of the oligarchs who helped Yeltsin retain power in his re-election and got richer via the loans for shares scheme (via which Roman acquired Sibneft).

Shortly after coming into power, Putin began liquidating oligarch foes, beginning with Gusinsky, who owned an independent tv channel*. Berezovsky asked Putin to ease off...at which point Putin liquidated him too. Berezovsky fled to the U.K., where he died.**

Several years later, likely due to his interest in politics, which Putin was monopolizing, Khodorkovsky (probably the biggest beneficiary of loans for shares) was liquidated by Putin and imprisoned. Yukos (Khodorkovsky's company) had just acquired Sibneft (Abramovich's company), but after Yukos was taken apart by the state, the sale was voided....although Roman didn't have to return the funds.

During this period Roman had a very low key public profile. He had a mostly symbolic governorship of Chukotka (a place so remote its residents are historic butts of Russian jokes as unwashed savages). He was almost never there. When he was, he'd occasionally unobtrusively join meetings with tourists on cruises (true story). He also kept up good relationships with the Russian government - he donated to the Russian FA, partially paid for the national team's coach. He also made zero political moves - even fewer than someone like Prokhorov.***

The point of course, isn't that it makes Roman a good person, but that he has made sure to be on good terms with Putin, but quietly. He has no reason to use Chelsea as a shield of any kind - it's useless. Putin has shown he can get to people he wants to kill in England. And part of Roman's wealth is still in Russia - Putin can take it away in a day. Nor did Abramovich have anything to do with Putin's rise to power - he had nearly no political clout at the time. He was barely known - almost a cypher. Buying Chelsea didn't help him politically in any way.

*Gusinsky fled to Israel. Russia later attempted to extradite him from Greece, but the Greek courts ruled the prosecution was politically motivated.

**Berezovsky later sued Roman in the U.K., arguing that he was owed a large part of Roman's fortune due to a promise made between them and a now dead third partner. Roman won, with the judge declaring that Berezovsky was a notably unreliable witness. Shortly afterwards Berezovsky committed suicide - or was murdered, if you prefer.

***Interestingly, Prokhorov has faced no accusations that he's bought the Nets for either money laundering purposes or to protect himself from Putin politically. This despite Prokhorov being a complete absentee owner. Roman meanwhile goes to most matches. Perhaps he enjoys owning a football club.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Posting on smartphone and tired :)

Interestingly, Chukotka includes Big Diomede Island, from where you can see Sarah Palin's house. :p

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I was kidding with the snark. And yeah, Chukotka is huge.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15996 NorthBank, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    This!!

P. S. The extra time channels were rocksolid reliable although only one of them was in HD from my provider. But for me the ability to record them on my DVR was also HUGE. R.I.P.

Blueallthru repped this.
  22. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spurs v. Chelsea was a thoroughly entertaining spectacle. Really had a good time watching that match. Hope Man City v. Everton today is as good.

23. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I also enjoyed it.

[emoji1]

24. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta feeling we'll be seeing a changing of the board at Barca sooner rather than later. Now Messi being at Barca is in question; if he leaves for Citeh heads are going to roll at the Camp Nou.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #16000 NorthBank, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Didn't he just sign a new contract with a billion dollar release clause? Hard to see him leavin Barca.

Edit: I just looked it up, it's 300 million euros. Hmm, that must've been Messi's agent pushing hard on that contract, which is only a month or so old? 300 million, that could be chicken feed in today's loco market. Maybe I should reconsider my skepticism?