VfB Stuttgart in the B2: 2016/17 Season Second Half - Rückrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, Jan 2, 2017.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defense looked bad on the goal surrendered. Pavard picked up the wrong man, I think. Losilla has so much time to choose his shot.

Terodde needs to lose that mask. Lots of chances created, but not many were dangerous. One that stands out was a volley by Julian Green. He was free but mistimed it badly. Great to have Ginczek score. He looks strong. Just needs to get sharp again.

10 matches to go. :eek:

Winoman repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a shot by Green described as a "Frühlingsluftloch" in the Stuttgarter Nachrichten. Was that the shot, and if so, what exactly does that idiom mean? o_O

3. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do the downloads work? Do you get a video file that you can then transfer?

I used to subscribe to VfBTV 5 or 6 years ago and they didn't have the downloads back then.

4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use a browser extension, "Flash Video Downloader". Once the video starts on the webpage, I can grab the whole file quickly (one mp4 file per half, just over 1 GB each). If I'm watching on computer, and I know I'll be online the whole time, their player is good enough.

5. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union Berlin won on Monday, so we're out of the top spot. The worse news is that there are challengers for third and fourth as well. We're two points from losing automatic promotion and a mere three points from spending 2018 in 2.BL.

I hope we can start scoring again, because clearly draws are not going to get us there.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After earning the draw (being down 0-3) with Dresden, VfB is in first place, only by goal differential. They need to 1) tighten up on defense, and 2) play with more fortitude in midfield.

To that end, #2 just got harder: Carlos Mané is out for the rest of the season:

http://www.vfb.de/de/vfb/aktuell/neues/profis/2017/carlos-mane-verletzung/

:(

7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Managed to earn the 1:1 draw away at 1860 Munich. Scoring equalizers in stoppage time is not a viable strategy! It appears the offense is on a cold streak, and the defense is giving up early goals, allowing less-talented teams to park the bus.

Currently:
    Hannover 96 is in first place, on 52 Points, and +14 Goal Differential
    Stuttgart VfB is in 2nd place, on 51 Pts, and +15 GD
    Eintracht Braunschweig is in 3rd, also on 51 Pts, but +14 GD
    Union Berlin is in 4th place, on 50 Pts, and +13 GD

I'd say that's pretty damned tight! VfB needs some wins, or it risks being overtaken for promotion.

Up next: Karslruher SC in last place on 22 Pts, and -19 GD

Can you say "Trap-game" in the Schwäbisch Derby, boys and girls?

8. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was initially hopeful when the Löwen played everyone back early in the first half. Surely we would rain shots on goal, but that didn't happen. The first problem was we were playing possession football at the back. Anybody can hold the ball against two forwards - a little pressure and back to the keeper. I initially blamed Gentner, but it didn't get better after he was subbed. The other problem is that we couldn't get a cross in from either flank. Green is the most infuriating, because he won't even try it. Now that Mané is gone, I think we're in trouble getting balls to Terodde the rest of the way. Ginczek looks strong, but needs to settle (offside, fouling, going down for the call)

That point was so lucky. Kaminsky probably won't score for another year. It may make the difference in the end. There are two automatic spots and four teams. Someone is going to get stuck here another year, probably two teams with the relegation match against maybe Augsburg, Wolfsburg, or HSV, etc. (wouldn't that be dramatic).

(H) Karlsruher (18)
    (A) Arminia Bielefeld (16)
    (H) Union Berlin (4)
    (A) Nürnberg (8)
    (H) Erzgebirge Aue (15)
    (A) Hannover 96 (1)
    (H) Würzburger Kickers (13)

With no wins in the last 5 matches, we're lucky to be in the top 3. We play 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the remaining 7, but we need to score more than one goal per match, and of course, the Berlin and Hannover matches will be magnified. I don't think they fall for the trap. They're not expecting to beat anybody at this point. They need two wins and they know it.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, VfB is back in first after beating Karlsruhe 2-0, in the derby. Asano with the brace, but Maxim was very involved. Perhaps Wolf is getting a little more oomph back in the line up with Maxim? It seems the team has been a little soft, especially since Grosskreutz ********ed up with the younglings, and left the team.

Maxim might be just what the doctor ordered to put an "edge on the blade." Keep it up men!

10. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see how they struggled in the first half? You wouldn't think this bottom table team could keep the ball from getting forward with a little pressure from the forwards. I think we only had one shot on goal before we scored from a long ball. Great result, although I was hoping for a third. (goal differential is close). Great results from our competitors, too! Hannover and Berlin tied.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the win is great - we really needed that - but the team is still not hitting on all eight cylinders. Is the defense stronger, or was the shutout due to the fact that KSC's offense is so dire?

Asano scoring a brace is almost as rare as a full eclipse. Maybe this gets him going, and other teams won't be able to shut down Terrode, and expect a 0-0 draw or a x-0 win.

12. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8-cylinders? This is the home of Mercedes. We have 12!
    [​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  13. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How we struggle to beat the minnows. As is usual, they let us dominate and dither as we take lots of time to create any chances. Then they get one chance and pass it right over the defenders for the header. It holds up for the entire first half.

2nd half, the game opens up, and the back and forth ends at 3-2 for us when the smoke clears. Langerak clearly saved us, although he might've stopped their second. I'm definitely more excited about Terodde scoring 2 than Asano.

Hannover beat Braunschweig 1:0 in the Niedersachsen Derby, but those were the only points dropped among the top 4 clubs. It's feeling like it'll take 4 wins out of the last 5 to get promoted. Berlin Monday is finally upon us. I hope we get some help over the weekend.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Sir Alex once said, "It's squeaky-bum time" for sure. It would appear that there are no easy games from here on out, even against teams lower down the table.

el americano repped this.
  15. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have put them in a much better spot to win a couple during that stretch of 4 ties out of 5 matches.

Here are the remaining schedules for the top 4 (with the opponents current standing in parenthesis):

VfB Stuttgart - Union Berlin (3), @Nurnberg (8), Erzgebirge Aue (16), @Hannover (2), Wuerzburger Kickers (13)

Hannover - @Erzgebirge Aue (16), Fortuna Duesseldorf (11), @Heidenheimer SB (7), VfB Stuttgart (1), @SV Sandhausen (10)

Union Berlin - @VfB Stuttgart (1), SV Sandhausen (10), @Eintracht Braunschweig (4), Heidenheimer SB (7), @Greuther Furth (6)

Eintracht Braunschweig - VfL Bochum (9), @1860 Muenchen (12), Union Berlin (3), @Arminia Bielefeld (17), Karlsruher SC (18)

VfB have a great chance to control their own destiny with games against Berlin and Hannover. Berlin has definitely the toughest remaining schedule with 4 of the 5 against top 7 teams and the 2 games against promotion challengers on the road.

Winoman and el americano repped this.
  16. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to today's match, Braunschweig won, but Hannover drew. Harnick tried to win it for them, but they gave it back in extra time. :) So, we're on top of a three-way tie by +2 goal differential. Any result will be good, but a win will be fantastic, because it would put Berlin in the rear view mirror. I gotta find a stream for this...

17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say today's result couldn't have been better, except that we allowed Union to score a goal. :)

3-1 for the good guys, puts VfB a full 3 points + goal diff in first place!

It looks like playing Maxim is working out well for Wolf.

18. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge win today! It's good to now have the guarantee of playing in at least the promotion playoff. (Not mathematically guaranteed, but barring doomsday scenarios VfB should be at worst 3rd).

If Berlin can now provide some help and beat Braunschweig in Round 32, the match against Hannover in round 33 could clinch the title.

el americano and Winoman repped this.
  19. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really dominated that game. The best missed chances were ours. Berlin only looked dangerous on the corners. I, too, wished we could score a fourth. We have the points and a slight lead in goal differential. What a great game to celebrate! They didn't even make me worry too much.

I'm less certain that 3rd place is guaranteed, with four matches left. Maybe after the Hannover match, if we win, we'll be able to rest. Of course the championship will probably be decided on the final days, but just get promoted men!! :thumbsup:

Winoman repped this.
  20. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd missed a sponsor change when they wore the DKMS shirts on Monday. They were just fighting cancer.
    [​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  21. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a classy thing to do by VfB and Mercedes Bank.

22. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that match was a rollercoaster, and the best kind. The first goal was cheap. Baumgartl got run over right after kicking the ball. The call went the other way, and they were still trying to absorb the bad call, when Nürnberg restarted with a kick down our flank. I suppose we should feel grateful he was allowed to get to his feet before the restart. 1-0. The second was a nice counter attack. Teuchert had an aggressive run right up the middle and scored it himself. 2-0 at the half.

This isn't Bielefeld. Now I'm just praying for a point. Terodde gets one back via penalty two minutes into the second half. He puts it in the roof of the net (a little scary, honestly), and just 3 minutes later Ginczek leaps over a defender to head in a corner. 2-2 with 40 minutes to go! Nürnberg looks like they're playing for the draw after that. Langerak did get tested a couple more time, and there was one open shot that went straight at him, thank god, but the game had settled down, and I was doing the math for a 1 point result.

Extra time, a long cross goes over everyone but Ginczek, who has to leap to knock it down. Terodde gets to it first and swipes it back across the middle. Klien had stopped in the area, and this ball bounces right to him and he volleys it into the far side of the net. A beautiful and unexpected team goal for the win. First goal of the season for Klein! They celebrate like they won the league at the final whistle. LOL.

Back to reality, all three of our challengers won their matches. So it's a single game lead with three to play. I'm really hoping Berlin beats Braunschweig on Monday, because they're not likely to lose their last two. A win from us on Sunday could almost assure promotion. If Berlin loses, it could still guarantee at least a playoff. Four wins in a row! One more could earn promotion.

Winoman repped this.
  23. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, one more thing I didn't understand at the time. When Terodde was awarded the penalty, Gentner was arguing with the ref for a while. Even the announcer thought maybe we weren't getting the penalty :laugh:. He had to be dragged away after a while. Wolf was disgusted with something too. How could they be so bothered about getting a penalty?? It turns out the guy who fouled him was on a yellow, and it would normally be a second yellow and dismissal. We were down 2-0 at the time, so they thought they probably needed it to have a chance to win. The ref may have been wrong there, but it didn't cost us after all! :cool: You tell him Gentner!

Winoman repped this.
  24. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's the last defender, then it's a yellow by rule, right? Assuming he calls the foul, which he did. I'd love to know the explanation. Hannes Wolf says, "Unfassbar."

[​IMG]

25. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the "last defender," especially a high kick to the mid-section, with studs up in the box, would be a red card.