VfB Stuttgart in the B2: 2016/17 Season First Half - Hinrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the beginning of the season schedule:

Competition Day, Date - Local Time (US Eastern Time) - Opponent

B.2 Mon, 8/8 - 20:15 (2:15 PM ) - vs FC St. Pauli
    B.2 Fri, 8/12 - 20:30 (2:30 PM) - @ Fortuna Duesseldorf
    DFB Cup Sat, 8/20 - 18:30 (12:30 PM) - @ FC Homburg
    B.2 Fri, 8/26 - 18:30 (12:30 PM) - @ SV Sandhausen
    B.2 Fri, 9/9 - 18:30 (12:30 PM) - vs 1. FC Heidenheim
    B.2 Sat, 9/17 - 13:00 (7:00 AM) - @ 1. FC Kaiserslautern
    B.2 Tue, 9/20 - 17:30 (11:30 AM) - vs Eintracht Braunschweig
    B.2 Fri, 9/23 - 18:30 (12:30 PM) - @ VfL Bochum

Winoman repped this.
  3. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Kingsborough United

Apr 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. Kingsborough United

Apr 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfB Wins 2-1 against FC St.Pauli
    0-1 Bouhaddouz 28 min.
    1-1 Maxim 67 min.
    2-1 Gentner 87 min.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad that VfB won, but they had some trouble doing it. Hopefully, Luhukay can get the team sorted out, and Stuttgart can win games a little more convincingly in the future.

7. Kingsborough United

Apr 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well VfB lost to Fortuna Düsseldorf 0-1. Only goal scored by Ihlas Bebou from the penalty spot in the 53rd minute

8. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone catch the game and see how they looked.

I remember seeing an article a while back about a major pitfall of relegation (in any European league) is that if you are in America and your team is relegated you have almost no chance to watch them. Unfortunately I am now living that reality.

Leave it to VfB to wait until Fox actually has some coverage over here making it much easier to watch than before to get relegated.

el americano and Winoman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a couple of links to the Stuttgarter Nachrichten.

1. Game report:

http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten....gen.d9327677-90a7-4950-9fdd-218665b408e4.html

2. Tactical Analysis:

http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten....orf.66681984-da4f-40b7-9b97-ca4d82baf418.html

3. Player ratings by Editors and Fans:

http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten....ion.70b0b7c5-96e9-4311-85ee-a5b15ff15a28.html

(I have to use Google Translate because my German is not so good after many years away, but it does well enough that I only have a hard time getting the gist of some 'Schwäbisch idioms.')

10. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I downloaded this match (it was super slow, but I figured it won't even be available most times). I thought the team played well despite the results. Only Sama and Werner gave me worries. Sama was pushing and holding at every opportunity. I thought they'd give a penalty when he had his arm over the defender's shoulder during a corner. Thankfully he was subbed at the half. Werner doesn't look up to this level, but he was a sub, so I guess it's OK.

Terodde is one I can't figure out. When I was learning the player's numbers, he was the last guy I noticed, and it took a while. He only had one good chance. It came in the second half, and it was golden. He had his feet wrong, and his right foot got out front late, putting the ball in the side netting, but it was a tap in, so stick the left out there! I think I read he was top scorer in B2 last year. I hope we start to see it. It may not have been great service, but we got the ball forward a lot, especially after going behind.

So, I give the boys credit. They really showed urgency after the penalty. The ball came forward quickly. Maxim, Tashchy, and Zimmer all impressed me. Stuttgart was able to switch flanks and bring the ball into space before the defense rotated over. We could do with more crossing, maybe, if that's how we plan to score. Anyway, despite our good possession and pressure, Fortuna had two great chances before the penalty that the defense and Langerak were able to scramble away. The penalty itself was dubious for me. I think it looked bad, because Sama was beaten so bad at first, but the attacker threw his leg out across of him at the end, and stepped on the ball too. It was pretty cheap. If you give that, how could he ignore the kick against both legs of our man in extra time? That was blatant. I don't know why he waved it off, except maybe he didn't want to decide the game in stoppage time. I expect these things will happen on the road in B2.

Take heart. They look like they have talent, and they are playing well as a team. I don't know if they are a top 2 team, though - does anyone know where they are projected? Let's hope they get up top early, so we don't have to suffer too much. On the road again next Saturday against Homburg - that's not a typo. ;-) Let's destroy these minnows!

Winoman repped this.
  11. Kingsborough United

Apr 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, New York
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm stuck listening to the games on Sport1fm on my phone via the website or the Tunein app

12. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfB TV is $13.50/3 months, which gives you the full match right after it's over, in german I suppose. I haven't tried it yet.

Winoman repped this.
  13. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't notice that Homburg was a Pokal match. I didn't see much of it - just about 2 minutes on Alle Spiele, Alle Tore. Gentner seems to be enjoying beating the lesser competition. Özcan started in front of Tashchy, who subbed him at 73 minutes, but they both scored. We'll found out the next round opponent on Friday, after the match against Sandhausen.

14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what's up with Luhukay and Alexandru Maxim? Did Maxim piss in Jos' cornflakes or something? I haven't heard anything in the Stuttgarter Nachrichten, except that Luhukay doesn't rate him. No why.

15. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if he was saving him for the league match, why wouldn't he say so instead of saying, "he knows the reason". And Maxim played the full 90 in Düsseldorf, so it must've been an incident in training or off the field after that. Worst case scenario: They told him they were trying to trade him, and he didn't take it well. :eek:

Hopefully, he's back in the starting 11 for Sandhausen, and all is forgiven. :cautious:

16. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would appear that he will be on the bench in Sandhausen, and 18 y.o. Berkay Özcan will start again. Add to that, that Anton Grgic will soon be ready to return after his injury, and things are not looking good for Maxim.

17. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught a crappy stream of this match. Maxim came on at 65', and Grgic got a late runout. A terrible defensive error made it closer than it should have been. I want them to put most teams away and march up the table. Not too many marquee matchups in B2. Terodde got on the scoresheet, so maybe that will happen now.

Winoman repped this.
  18. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We drew Borussia Mönchengladbach. That should just about end our run (of 1 win).

19. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think you're right.

20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match Day 4:

VfB Stuttgart (1) vs. 1. FC Heidenheim (2)

2 wins and 2 losses. VfB aren't going up like that. I didn't see the match, but it sounded like the defense was really bad. Here are the writer/editor player-ratings from the Stuttgarter Nachrichten, translated by me, with help from Google Translate:

Mitch Langerak (Grade: 2): The goalkeeper was indeed tested little, but he radiated a sovereignty and hardly made a mistake.

Florian Klein (4): In the Austrian national team he plays well - and at VfB only moderately. Little impetus in the game design and technical limits.

Toni Sunjic (5): He was another factor of uncertainty in the central defense. He also showed tremendous weaknesses in the opening game. Not even his equalizing goal changed anything.

Stephen Sama (5): He was infected by the uncertainty of his fellow defense-man Sunjic and afforded many bad passes. Also in many duels he lacked the responsibility.

Emiliano Insua (3): A solid performance by the Argentine who in defense back four kept track is the only one and his left side was mostly under control.

Matthias Zimmermann (4): He occupied alone the position in defensive midfield - and was so overwhelmed. Instead of making the game from the back quickly, he held back the pace again.

Christian Gentner (3): We could not help feeling sorry for the captain. He tried to bring structure to the game, but his colleagues let him here mostly down.

Jean Zimmer (5): He gave up the first chance miserably after five minutes and was also everything else other than an asset. Far too rushed and thoughtless in his playing style.

Berkay Özcan (3): He moved often, sent in the spaces between midfield and attack and also had some surprising ideas. However, he lacked in his actions on pace.

Tobias Werner (4). As some colleagues with technical deficits and without the necessary speed with and without the ball, he exuded little goal danger.

Simon Terodde (3): He was as the only striker largely hung out in the air and could hardly make any usable assists in the penalty area. He was able to bring his strengths rarely.

Alexandru Maxim (2): After coming off the bench he prepared with a corner in front of the balance of Sunjic. Even otherwise, he brought a lot of momentum into the Stuttgart game.

Bazi and el americano repped this.
  21. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a hard fought 0:1 win against Kaiserslautern, we barely have time to enjoy it. Everyone is already talking about tomorrow's match with league leaders, Eintracht Braunschweig. It's at a good time to catch a stream here in the states. Let's win this one, and we'll be on our way!

Winoman repped this.
  22. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, VfB came out ready to play, even with the interim coach(es). :thumbsup:

Stuttgart 2:0 Braunschweig

I didn't see the game, but it sounded like everyone played well, with the possible exception of Berkay Özcan. From the Stuttgarter Nachrichten:

"Berkay Özcan: The young attacking man got the trust of coach Olaf Janßen - and did not justify it. Hardly any dynamics, many bad passes and turnovers: a wayward appearance of VfB Talents. Rating 5"

Everyone else was rated at 2 or 3.

At least now VfB are in second place, having just beaten the undefeated League Leaders, Braunschweig.

el americano and Epitome990 repped this.
  23. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bochum 1:1 Stuttgart

Good lord we gave them so many chances to win that. Through most of the match we were the better team winning the ball back fairly easily and taking it to them. Terrode missed another sitter. I'm not sure what his scoring skill is, but he's apparently not a poacher. Then, against the run of play, we'd let them in for a wide open shots. We were let off time and time again. Their goal, surprisingly, was a luckier chance that fell to the right guy. In the last ten minutes it was a shooting gallery. Always, they were getting lead passes right up the middle. Baumgartl and Sunjic would then attempt last ditch intentional fouls, which made them look completely out of their depth.

I thought Maxim and Gentner looked good. Langerak too, thank goodness. They can learn a lot from that one, I think, but getting better takes time. Pray for our defense. Bochum is a cautionary tale of a club that belonged in the Bundesliga. Whenever they fell out, they would bounce right back the next year. In 2011, they didn't get straight back, and they've been in 2BL ever since.

Winoman repped this.
  24. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to keep reminding myself that the last 3 matches they've averaged over 2 points a game. If they can keep that up with regularity, that will almost certainly equal a top 3 finish. I just have no confidence in VfB's ability to do so. It seems its a coin flip week to week. Le sigh....

It just occurred to me that Hitzy rejoining the team means we won't have any of his awesome/hilarious commentary on FS1/FS2 Bundesliga coverage this year. I miss his wonderful/terrible accent and grammar. Always fun to watch.

Winoman repped this.
  25. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got onto the stream of this match 5 minutes late and missed our first two goals! This is the kind of comfortable win I want to see in 2BL. The drop off between the top clubs is marked, so 4:0 will do just nicely. Unfortunately, the other 2015 Bundesliga team, Hannover, is keeping pace. So, all it will take is for Braunschweig, Heidenheim, or Bochum to force their way to the top at the end for it to be too crowed for comfort.

Normally, I have some regret when a loanee plays great for us, but with Mané, I don't have a problem. Greuther Fürth made him look world class, and he was dangerous all game, not just on the goals. Terodde needs to up his game. The other debutant, Pavard, also scored off a corner and assisted the first goal. These are great pick-ups, and just what we need to field the better side, even when we're carrying some injuries.

So, let those promotion fears rest over the international break. Sure, management screwed up again with the head trainer, but Wolf instead of Lukuhay means little to me. If the defense can hold up against the better clubs in this race, we'll be there at the end. Niemals Zweite Liga! ;-)

Winoman repped this.