VfB Stuttgart: 2015/16 Season First Half - Hinrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by gmonsoon43, Jul 27, 2015.

1. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If in fact Harnik can't get his shit together, I will accept Werner doing the same. ANYTHING will be better than Timo's current habit of making 75% of an incredible run and then either totally whiffing his shot or sending the ball to Mars. Today's goal is an excellent start.

Unfortunately, next week is Bayern.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That DFB Pokal draw went about as well as Stuttgart could have hoped. A trip to the quarterfinals at least is a totally realistic expectation at this point. Nice!

Winoman repped this.
  4. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, Harnik will not be able to get his shit together:

http://www.vfb.de/en/aktuell/meldungen/news/2015/verletzung-martin-harnik-/page/4000-1-1-.html?f2

:(

5. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scheiss Bayern v. Stuttgart
    Show Spoiler
    I was hoping VfB would be able to eke out a 0-0 draw today, in the fashion of Frankfurt. So much for that! :(

7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scheiss Bayern v. Stuttgart
    Show Spoiler
    Well, VfB apparently stopped the bleeding after the half, but I have to think that SB weren't really trying as they had a commanding lead, and a toothless VfB to play against. I'm surprised they didn't run the score up more. :(

8. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the spoiler tag. Though having finally watched the game, I probably could have saved some time.

Winoman repped this.
  9. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't expecting much of a result. At least it was only 4 goals and not more to hurt the Goal Differential.

The team needs a result against Augsburg in the next game because after that it is away against Dortmund.

JB-Bundesliga, stonesean and Winoman repped this.
  10. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stonesean repped this.
  11. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stonesean repped this.
  12. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stonesean repped this.
  13. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that anyone needs me to illustrate this fact, but the most disheartening thing about the players and Zorniger's comments are that nobody seems to know what the hell happened. That result is obviously a total surprise to them.

Dutt's comments about this being different than all the other games this season is pretty clear.

Stuttgart's got Dortmund, Bremen, Mainz, and Wolfsburg before the winter break. I just don't see how Zorniger keeps his job without at least 6 points out of those games.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at that lineup, I don't see them getting six points unless something unusual happens, in their favor. It's pretty obvious they need better goalkeeping, better defending, better midfield play, and better scoring. (Anything else? ;) )

The impression I get from looking at Jens1893's twitter feed is that some of the players are talking against Zorniger, and if they start doing that, the team is headed down.

Even though they were losing, early on, they were not totally out of games, and with a couple of breaks going their way, they might have won a few more.

I hope they can keep that early season mind-set, stay together, work together, and eventually win together. It's not looking good, though. :(

15. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund getting kicked in the teeth by Hamburg is going to make Stuttgart's weekend very painful. BVB will be looking for revenge, and VfB looks like lambs being sent to the slaughterhouse right about now.

Maybe we'll get a dose of the (it seems like forever ago now) inexplicable winning streak after the break. I remember a couple seasons that started with Stuttgart languishing at the bottom of the table only to pull off a trip to the Europa Cup after the break. Of course, there were guys like Cacau, Kuzmanovic and Okazaki on the squad then....

There is certainly no chance of that kind of finish with this cast of characters. Maxim is a shadow of himself or can't get the ball delivered. (The loss of Kvist was much bigger than it seemed at the time I think) and Harnik was bad on the pitch this season and last, and couldn't help if he wanted to with his injury.

At this point, a finish in 14th place would seem like a dream come true. If I were in the front office and were asked: "Stuttgart can finish 14th in the league right now, take it or leave it." I'd take it without hesitation.
    Looking at the off season efforts the team makes, I often wonder if relegation is the goal?

Die, Tyton and Insua are the only bright spots of the last several years....insane...if you're telling me the fifth richest team in Germany can only afford PSV Eindhoven reserve players and Spanish Secunda division cast offs, I don't believe you....

Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, 14th place is a dream finish! :eek:

Yeah, I just don't get why they have such a hard time getting good, quality players (I'm not talking about mega-stars) into the side. They have money, unless the board is playing "Jack Warner/Chuck Blazer" with the funds.

17. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  18. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now that Zorniger is gone, how soon can we look for the return of Stevens? ;)

19. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://archyworld.com/2015/11/express-column-felix-magath-dutt-and-irate-have-to-answer/

A
    pretty weird translation of a Felix Magath Op-Ed about Zorniger and VfB.

I've read the original, and though this translation is clunky, you get the gist. Essentially, Magath says Zorniger forced a system on VfB that they were not capable of executing. He also blasts Dutt for not keeping Huub Stevens around even though he had them playing decent ball at the end of last season, saying that Zorniger is not at all the only person to blame for Stuttgart's situation.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That link doesn't work for me, but I saw something similar from Magath, yesterday, in the Stuttgarter Zeitung, IIRC.

21. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Got myself a ticket to the away game next Friday: Mainz vs. Stuttgart @ Coface Arena. Can't wait, absolutely craving some live football :D

stonesean and Winoman repped this.
  25. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky you! I'm quite jealous. Have fun! Hopefully you'll see a VfB victory...

cortisoljunkie and Winoman repped this.