Vertical Jump Important with Soccer

Discussion in 'Player' started by striking_tan, Aug 9, 2016.

?

Have you performed vertical jump training in the past?

1. Yes, and it has helped me jump higher AND run faster

50.0%
  2. Yes, and it has helped me jump higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but I did not see results

50.0%
  1. striking_tan

striking_tan New Member

May 16, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I used to only train strength by squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing big weights. In fact, deadlifting 465lbs at 180lbs bodyweight wasn't a big deal:

Then I played some sports like basketball and soccer and realized some of the skinnier kids were dunking and heading way higher than I was, by a few inches. It made me look really unathletic and I wondered if I was too big. Then I remembered Pepe and Cristiano Ronaldo both weigh 180lbs (83kg).

They told me that jumping helped them jump higher, of course! Jumping training helped me gain 5 inches and I was able to head the ball over the same friends I played with and over opponents that took me for granted. It made me run faster too, because jump training shocks your muscles into reacting faster. There's many jump programs that work and this one has been tried out by many: Defend opponents and make them lose track of you! http://nosyjossie.com/vertshock

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    When sprinting you develop 3 times your body weight of force against the ground. That is with one leg at a time. That is 540 foot-lbs for a 180 lb man on every foot strike. The training you were doing was probably developing maximum strength, which is only part of the strength training an athlete does. The "vertical jump training" you did was probably power training.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I never used heavy weights at that time I though it made me less quick. Quickness in a small space is what you want in our game. I did use isometrics.

One of the best players I ever had played 2nd division in Italy. Not a bad gig he made over a hundred thousand a season. Then it was the best second divion then any other country.

He comes back after an injury. So what does the Mamaluke do? him and his friend go to Florida and move into a singles place to pick up girls. He goes to a gym and starts lifting weights without knowing how to do it. He became top heavy I saw him later I could not believe his transformation he was only 5'6" tall. He did not have the perfect body type for our game but through hard work and dedication he was great very very skillful. He was a striker. When h came back he looked like a furniture mover.

He went back playing for me. He could still play but at a good level for maybe 6o minutes a game.

This was a post on jumping I made years ago.

"How high up you go depends on the force you use to push off the field when you jump.. The harder you push, the higher you go, and the longer you can stay in the air.

Watch the flight of the ball jump straight up from a moving position and "stand still" in the air. While using your body head cocked back then at the right moment eyes open and neck stiff attack the ball with the forehead.

Your body seems like you are staying in the air longer. Your actually are getting the ball on the way down from the top of your jump so the higher you get the longer you can hang. You bring your legs up as you jump so your thighs are pulled up on the jump.

Good way to practice this is with a partner.

He holds the ball with 2 hands and bended knees he tosses the ball high underhand in the air. You are facing him prone on the field on your stomach.As you see his hands start to toss the ball get up in a hurry and jump starting with with bended knees jump in the air and hang in the air to the ball is struck both legs up off the ground. Head cocked back then at the right moment eyes open and neck stiff attack the ball with the forehead back to the serverer and back on the ground you go in a hurry and then repeat."

This is another one

"for my weakness in ATTACK i put
    ----Heading
    "I tend to have poor judgement when heading the ball. When the ball is crossed into the box, majority of the times my opponents beats me to the ball and therefore, they gain possession of the ball."

Practice getting your body on the ball not just your head. Get the ball with any part of the body that you can and then stay with the ball until it is in the net. Do that with no pressure first.

Keep your head straight and see if you can see the ball if you can then move to the ball it is not over your head. If you can't see the ball with your head straight then the ball is over your head so move back until you can see the ball then move to the ball.

Watch the balls spin move in the direction of the spin of the ball on curving balls get it with your body first.

You are not a statue don't wait to the ball you can get to. You wait opponent moves to the ball he gets to the ball before you do.
    --------------------------------------------

"I also have a lack of height when jumping in the air to win the ball, this again allows the other team to gain possession of the ball. Even though I sometimes win the ball, I have difficulty hitting the target or not applying enough force to the ball. Overall, my heading is weak, inaccurate and erratic."

Know the location you want to put on the ball before the ball gets to you. Head upper part of the ball.

If you are short best way to get a lot of opportunties to head and be successful is try to head moving to the near post. You don't have to out jump your opponent there you just have to make sure you beat the opponent to the near post so you can see the ball. See the ball with no one in front of you you can head the ball to inside near post or redirect to far post. So you have a shot at scoring far post or a team mate can put the ball in far post. Most small teams try to attack near post.

Also I was taught first run should be to the near post.

---

If you have to jump up against an opponent protect your space to head the ball with your body including your forearms and elbows and hands.Don't let an opponent in your space to head. Ever wonder how a basket ball player that is 6'5 can beat a 6''10" player they box out.So you do that keep them out of the space from where you and the ball are at. Jump early and hang in the air. Get a hand on the opponent and hold him down as you go up.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Work on your body trunk streight you get power on your headers from that. Stomach and back musles.

------------

Most important thing to heading you have to want to head the ball and beat the opponent it takes courage. I have found a lot of players that never seem to get to a ball they could get to don't really want to get to that ball.

Some times to get to a ball you have to stick you head where it doesn't belong into opponents space. Sometimes you can't get the forehead on the ball sometimes you have to be willing to get your ear on the ball. Score with your ear is real courage but you have to deal with that ringing sound in your head for days :) not fun my friend.

Good luck."

4. Peter Olaffson

Peter Olaffson New Member

Manchester United
    France
    Dec 14, 2020
    To have a better vertical jump you need not only to train your physical (strength, power training) but agility as well. Actually, vertical jump training is a fundamental part of agility practice routines. Moreover, agility training helps with other pillars of the game like fast change of direction, quick decision making process during the game episode, and etc.

If you still need advise on vertical jumps or significance of agility for soccer players, please, check out this article on agility training for soccer.