Ventura's Italia

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Time for a Ventura ban.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ventura had no business coaching the national team but its not his fault. when you have three Italians playing for top clubs, what do you expect? Buffon is GK so i don't count him but Barzagli is 36, DeRossi is 34. Then we Verratti who never convinced me and Astori on the bench? Only 20 years ago, this roster was would have been laughable...

Italia (3-5-2): Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Candreva, Parolo, De Rossi, Verratti (76' Insigne), Darmian; Belotti (65' Eder), Immobile

3. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    This comes down to Italian clubs not developing Italian players and Conte+Ventura refusing to integrate youth into the team. The likes Gagliardini, Berardi, Insigne, Rugani, Caldara etc should be playing a bigger role in this team.

Unless they can go through I on penalties I cant see Italy making it to this world cup but it may be exactly what Italy needs.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  4. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There is 0 excuse to lose to Sweden no matter how bad you believe the players are now....it is still Italy vs Sweden no excuses.

St. Michael's Sword, Rosay and gumbacicc repped this.
  5. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Ventura, he is the First Italian coach that has ZERO tactics. Truly one of a kind.

He basically plays the same exact way every game, no matter the score or importance. No changing things up, trying different things, no directions to the players on the field. Just stand there soulless waiting for the game to end.

Desere, romanista8910 and calabrese8 repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Kinda funny, but so true. Isn't like half the Swiss side from Kosovo/Albania?

7. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why does everyone on this board knock Verratti? His talent is so obvious - sure, not the complete package currently, but definitely one of the better mids in Europe.

Rosay and gumbacicc repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure. I'm thinking its maybe because he has never played one game in Serie A? Or maybe because Ligue 1 is levels below the "level of the (Italian) league" and where his only competition is Caen, Rennes and Monaco? Just a thought...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His performances for the national team have been so off lately. But I think not all that is his fault.

10. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Limits on foreign players is not the solution. Developing talent following a proper successful system/model like the Spanish and German one is the only way to go forward. The league's problem is that they are taking their sweet time to implement it. Stranger is that they were able to push forward VAR a year earlier then planned because of the petty teams in Italy wanted to try and dethrone Juventus.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they get eliminated on Monday, the time to start implementing these things will be next summer when the new Serie A season begins.

12. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what exactly are the Spanish and Germans doing that Italy is not?

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Traditionally, neither the Spanish or the Germans of were better than Italy. Things have changed in the last 7 years but I still think the lack of fielding more Italian players on top Serie A clubs is what is holding Italy's national team back.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  16. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So this clown was already planning for a substandard result from the very beginning? Great optimism coach, the players absorbed every ounce of your mindset.

17. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I explained it in the other thread.

A friend of mine who speaks German told me that when Italy played Germany at under 21 level a year or two ago the German commentator said that the German players had considerably more experience of playing in the Bundesliga than the Italian players had of playing in Serie A.

If you don't nurture talent at the crucial stages of a player's development when they are too old for the Primavera category by giving it top quality playing time in Serie A, including exposing it to foreign opposition in CL and EL, you shouldn't be suprised that most talent wastes away between the ages of 18/19-21/22.

Generally speaking, over the last decade Serie A coaches have preferred to rely on experience over talent.

St. Michael's Sword and phat repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1368 falvo, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Just look at who is starting. I could name about 7 or 8 central defenders from 20 years ago from Vierchowod , Cravero, Baresi, Ferrara, Costacurta Minotti to Petruzzi and Appoloni but I can’t name that many now. Looking at the 3rd GK from a week team in Genoa will never have happened in the past. Cervone, Marcheggiani and Toldo were all better than the current lot. These players weren’t unknown because they were starting and playing well for their clubs. This is no longer the case. Even a player like Moriero who came out of the blue from Roma and started for Inter is nowhere to be found. Even if the game has changed, I’m sure where those guys came from, there had to be others but there aren’t.

19. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's tough because how do you stop that? Unless all the other league's start doing it there will be no incentive to start. I was reading that Italy has 55% foreign players and Germany has 50%. Does that 5% really make that much of a difference? Maybe that is 1 or 2 players getting lost in the grand scheme of things. Regardless I still would love to have more Italians playing in the Serie A and for my club team. That national team is important to me as well and winning the scudetto, however winning it with almost no Italian players would not "Inter"est me. Tough when there is a lot of money on the line to think of the betterment of the nation, the league has to find a way to make teams do this without hurting them and still allowing them to compete.

Aside from me thinking that having less foreign players will help to improve the situation, a big part of me knows that had this team had a better coach at the helm the sentiment would be a lot different. Goinf be on that, our players are nowhere near the quality they used to be, however a big part of that is just due to this generation. In 4-8 years that may all be different. Every nation goes through ups and downs in terms of player production. Soccer is still love in Italy, kids still grow up with the same hopes and dreams that the legends we no longer have did. Just somewhat of a bad spell that for the most part should correct itself.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  20. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The situation will not correct itself unless things change, otherwise the situation will only deteriorate further.

St. Michael's Sword and phat repped this.
  21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What obvious talent has he shown when wearing la maglia azzurra? I have been waiting patiently. Still waiting.

22. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

The only guys he's played with are Immobile and Insigne (if I remember correctly). None of the midfielders.

23. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To an extent...talented players are still being born in Italy. Definitely could use more of a chance to play at a young age though.

24. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, there are always talented youngsters, but if they are not developed - like you say by getting playing time in Serie A anbd CL/EL - you can't expect them to help make the Azzurri a force in international football.

25. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The ones that really shine will usually make It through. The problem is with more of the late bloomer types or players who do not make an immediate impact do not end up getting the playing time they need and probably never fully develope. More playing time for any youth in all cases is without a doubt essential for growth and those minutes become more and more limited when we are developing foreigners instead. There just isn't enough incentive for club teams at the moment to try and develop their own young countrymen.