Ventura's Italia

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Jul 2, 2016.

1. AlbertoAlbino

AlbertoAlbino Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    there are some good selections in this thread, but lets be real, lets guess what weird pick from ventura. we all know the coaches always have their own favourites, e.g. lippi's pepe in 10, prandelli's aquilani in 14, conte's motta in 16

2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see what Giaccherini does at the club level before I start penciling him into any starting lineups here on out.

As for Marchisio, ACL injuries are no joke and he's not 24 years old anymore. He may never be the same player again. What a shame, I absolutely love Claudio, probably one of my favorite active Italian players but it could go down hill for him fast.

I would also like to see Insigne given more run-outs with the Azzurri. He has the talent, creativity and vision, I hope he continues his form for Napoli this season.

3. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    We need a prima punta with skill in a bad way. It's really the one missing link for the future. I'm really hoping Belotti and Gabbiadini break out.

forza_azzurri and Nek Sanalet repped this.
  4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We'll have to wait and see. So far there has been talk of him drafting 4 Toro guys. Baselli, Benassi, Zappacosta and Belotti. I don't have a problem with any of them.

5. secretariat89

secretariat89 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portsmouth, NH
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I get all the hype on Filippo Romagna, me too, I do rate him highly. BUT...I'm starting to have second thoughts about him. This started during summer last year when Juve called up Giulio Parodi instead of him during their summer games. Also, if he's that great, how come Mattia Vitale was loaned out ahead of him when they are of the same 1997 generation. You follow Juve, do you have the answers of these questions? You see my "favorite team" is actually the AZZURRI not AC Milan. I just put AC Milan because AZZURRI is not one of the option. So therefore, I love all the teams..A&B alike. The only difference being I follow Serie A teams to their Primavera, but less so than those in B; though I do follow a few like (Brescia, Bari, etc) So I kinda don't have time to deeply dissect the reasons behind these decisions.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Most of the names being thrown around here aren't even U21 ready let alone the senior squad

el napulitan repped this.
  7. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah some people are taking the youth movement too far lol. And I'm someone who is all for it. Under 21 players need to be incredibly special to skip that portion of their national team development. We have plenty of 21-24 year olds who's time is now...

8. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He was busy being the captain of the primavera. Juve went deep in the youth cup and Coppa Italia at primavera level. To counter, he has been called up to the senior squad (as in reserves for Juve's actual club) for the last two years. He's beyond even Rugani at the same age. Take that for what you will.

9. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No, it's because nations like Spain give their youth chances very early. This slow roasted method to develop players is behind. The bidone on some teams can easily be replaced by youth players who are dominating at youth level instead of being loaned out. It's absurd.

secretariat89 repped this.
  10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Right. But be realistic. Scamacca doesn't yet play first team for PSV. He's a promising U17. Hoping that Ventura will call him up is fantacalcio

el napulitan repped this.
  11. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    When did I ever say I wanted him called up now? He needs first team playing time before that happens.

secretariat89 repped this.
  12. secretariat89

secretariat89 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Portsmouth, NH
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    lolz..me and baggionero were just discussing some of the top prospects. our intentions were never to consider them for Ventura's potential call-ups. That discussion kinda ended with the Federico Dimarco discussion located at the top of the PREVIOUS page..rofl

Baggionero repped this.
  13. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

He pretty much said italy would never give him a chance to grow. Looks like he has a good head on his shoulders and hopefully he becomes something great.

14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But that's the point. This thread is "Ventura's Italy". Not "Italy prospect thread". Most names being thrown around will never amount to anything anyway.

This is giving me an idea for a new thread ...

el napulitan and AlbertoAlbino repped this.
  15. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Here's a prospect for you....Manolo Gabbiadini...the most misused and under-utilized talent I've seen in Italy in a long time.

To me, Gabbiadini is best as a punta centrale. This wasting him on the wings is silly. Here's a guy who lit up Serie A two years ago when he was centrale....with Eder playing alongside him no less. There was no reason to think Gabbs and Eder couldn't play together and do it well.

Gabbiadini has the speed to split a defense and also the touch and skill to finish with the best of them. Sarri saw him pretty much solely as a replacement for Higuain tactically and that is why he didn't get much playing time. Whenever Gabbs was in, he was dangerous.

It kills me how much Napoli has wasted his talent. He's a twenty goal a year striker with consistent playing time.

16. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually at Samp, Mihajlovic had Gabbia on the right of a three man attack. Eder was on the left. Both of them between a center forward.

I see Gabbia as the perfect joker card. He can do a little of everything.

17. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And that is why he hasn't broken through yet despite his talent.

With his strength, powerful left, and height, he is perfect as a central striker.

18. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    To be fair, Okaka and Gabbiadini were constantly switching roles up front and Manolo played very centrally in that formation. But, I get your point.

I just think Stamos is right. You have to put Manolo as a prima punta and leave him there. Let him work his magic and score goals. This idea that he needs to be on the wing because of his creativity is garbage. He's tall, fast, and skilled. He's lethal with his left foot and is great with his back to the goal and then turning for a quick shot. He should be penetrating the middle of defenses.

19. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It all depends on what formation Ventura is playing. IMO having a striker than can fill different roles is a luxury. Gabbiadini was great at Samp in the 4-3-3. And he was also great as a lone striker for Napoli under Benitez

20. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Giampiero Ventura won't experiment very much at the beginning of his Italy tenure, relying on Antonio Conte's work.

The Azzurri need to be cautious about their qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup, as they share their group with Spain, and a second place would force them to the play-offs.

Ventura is therefore looking to build on Conte's surprisingly effective work at Euro 2016. The Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the 3-5-2 formation will not be amended and that 21 out of Conte's 23 call-ups will be confirmed, with no more than Thiago Motta and Federico Marchetti being left out.

Daniele De Rossi and Andrea Barzagli will still be asked to play for Italy, with the latter in particular being pressed not to retire.

In the long run, Gianluigi Donnarumma, Domenico Berardi, Alessio Romagnoli and Daniele Rugani should all slowly be integrated into the first team. But the former two in particular will start off by contributing to the U21 side, as they are still considered a little too green.

Marco Verratti will return only if his condition of form has improved, while Claudio Marchisio is going to be out all the way until November.

The Rosea speculates that Italy's starting XI against Israel, the first qualifying game on September 5, may look like this: Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Candreva, Parolo, Verratti, Florenzi, De Sciglio; Eder, Gabbiadini.

21. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Further down the line, I think Ventura could possibly integrate Diawara into the fold in midfield. Great on the ball and a physical two-way midfielder that could form a fantastic tandem with Verratti in Italy's midfield for the next decade. Without getting too far ahead of myself in touting him for stardom, it is worthy to note that Diawara is a very talented player that is coveted by many clubs around Europe. Just my two cents.

My predicted 23 for Ventura's first match against Israel in August doesn't have many changes to Conte's Euro Squad:

GK: Buffon, Perin, Sirigu

DEF: Bonucci, Chiellini, Barzagli, Rugani, Tonelli

MID: Verratti, Florenzi, Parolo, De Rossi, Bonaventura, Jorginho, Candreva, De Sciglio, Darmian, Bernardeschi/El Shaarawy

FOR: Insigne, Pelle, Gabbiadini, Eder, Zaza

*Note:

If G. Rossi can stay healthy, I think Ventura gives him a shot at some point as well.

Also, Berardi, Benassi, and Zappacosta are first in line to take over in the event there is any dip in form from the likes of De Rossi, Eder, Zaza, Darmian, De Sciglio & Parolo.

As far as Oriundi go, Papu Gomez could be of some use if our attacking department does not provide the type of strike force Italy needs going forward. Great on the ball and can facilitate for pure strikers like Pelle, Gabbiadini, and Zaza.

The Balotelli-saga continues, but at 25 I still think he can turn his career around and maybe give Italy a hand in two years time in Russia. A Balotelli with a changed attitude would be a welcomed addition to this Italy side that is in desperate need of a goal scorer. The last two years have not been kind to Balotelli at club level, but he has always scored for the national team.

23. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also, not sure why there is so much hate for Sturaro. The guy is a gamer. One of the few Italy has in that mold. Sure, he is not the best on the ball, but that is not what he is on the field to do. Against Germany he ran for 120 minutes and chased every ball and player down with a f*&%^ed up knee. I might add, he also had the best chance of the game. He is an absolute workhorse alla Gattuso and Rino seemed to make an alright career out of that style of play. For me, he should be considered going forward.

Rosay, Calcio Pauly and Stamos repped this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rosea speculates that Italy's starting XI against Israel, the first qualifying game on September 5, may look like this: Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Candreva, Parolo, Verratti, Florenzi, De Sciglio; Eder, Gabbiadini.

Give or take one or two swaps, I can live with seeing how 90 minutes of this goes.

Stamos repped this.
  25. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No surprises there. Exactly what I forecasted. Ventura is going to continue Conte's work and slowly blend in younger talent over time. Smart approach.