Ventura Alvarado at FC Juarez

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It was a busy Wednesday night for young Americans playing in the second round of this year’s Copa MX.... In Tuesday’s Group 1 games, Ventura Alvarado again started for Club América, going the full 90 minutes in the in-form Águilas’ 3-1 victory over Altamira. The 20-year-old defender again won plaudits and could be in line for a potential first-team slot in the league next season, with Diego Reyes making the move to Porto...."
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/24/american-exports-beasley-stars-pueblas-copa-victory

From the 2-0 win in the prior leg:
    [​IMG]

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Unused sub today in America's 2-2 tie with Toluca.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    My fotmob app says he got 5 minutes at the end.

Tom Collingsworth, Pl@ymaker and ielag repped this.
  4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep looks like he did, when I checked ligamx.net after the game was over, must not have been completely updated. But they have it on there now that he was subbed in the 86th min, Toluca scored the equalizer in the 94th min.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Cap him.

(Seriously, this time we're talking about a CB playing for one of the biggest teams in the hemisphere. Let's get this kid in a camp and give him a look.)

ImaPuppy repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just scored the tying goal for Club America (on a set-piece because, hey, he's a US kid!) against Necaxa in the Copa Mex.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Club America wins 3-1. Shortly after our boy tied it, America took the lead and then iced it in extra time with a golazo.

Alvarado reminds me of Carlos Bocanegra. Slightly undersized for a CB (though perhaps not in Mexico) but strong, athletic and good in the air.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the 0:15 mark:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Also looks like Ventura who lost his mark on the Necaxa goal.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Ok...we have to call this guy in now right? Playing CB for Club America and scoring?

I hope Klinsmann has him on his radar, because...you know, we need CBs.

Germerica repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He hasn't started a Liga MX game yet, just in cup games and with their reserves, but he's making nice progress.

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never understood why the odd set piece goal from a defender is often a catalyst for NT talk. Alvarado is a defender and his first job is to defend. Things like ability to score on set pieces and distribution are important, but clearly subordinate to defending. We just saw Omar Gonzalez, who has 100+ games for the Galaxy, has played in MLS Cups, CONCACAF Champions League, was Defender of the Year, etc look discombobulated in a World Cup qualifier. Alvarado is just a guy who occasionally starts for the B-team that American puts in Copa MX games. He's clearly making progress, but he isn't anywhere near the NT depth chart yet.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    True.

And the goal he allowed last night looked awfully similar to the one OG allowed vs. Honduras in terms of a moment of ball-watching leads to losing your mark and leading to a tap-in.

A lot to like with Alvarado and I think using the Terrence Boyd standard you can justify calling him in to a camp but he's not ready to contribute in qualifying.

The Gold Cup, however...

USAMEX10 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    ^ this is what I was talking about.

Obviously I'm not wanting Klinsmann to consider him for WCQ or anything.

Sorry, should have been more clear about that.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately for the YAs involved, Nungaray came off and Alvarado came on before Toros Neza scored any of their three goals. I have no idea if Alvarado was culpable for any of the goals, though.

17. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Cup game, but he was an unused sub in their league game yesterday.

He'll get his chance next season to win a starting CB spot since Diego Reyes will be going to Porto this summer.

Germerica and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Hearing that Alvarado is in the mix to start in place of Diego Reyes in Sunday's huge Clasico match against Chivas. Would be a huge opportunity for him, and could put him on Klinsmann's radar.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Shoop, shoop badoop. Hope he does well if given the chance.

22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    With Reyes leaving, they really do need to find a solution at CB. He's been in the system for awhile, so if it's really just between him, Efrain Juarez, and El Topo, he's got a good shot at it. I know these things don't always work out the way you'd prefer, but how awesome would it be to have a CB consistently starting for America.

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better call him up before Mexico does.:mad:

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Well that would be quite the first LigaMX start for Ventura. Did Reyes pick up a knock during the WCQ on Tuesday? 5 days seems like good enough rest (especially for the Clasico and that America is in 3rd place), and he didn't have to do that much in our game.

25. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    He got a red card in America's last league game.