Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zelalem is the vervanger for VVV-Venlo.

Winoman repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    They need some verve and anger for sure.

lmorin and Winoman repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Receveur is now providing verve-anger for VVV as well.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    0-4 now. 1 minute left.

Goal from a PK.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    NAC gets a late game PK and it's 4-0. No heroics for GZ.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    apparently 1st time VVV have failed to score at home this season, fwiw.

That and a few euro will get you...

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think Volendam won today too... not a great day for VVV.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The betting odds for this one were so stacked for Venlo, that had not lost on their home turf since September, and had won their last four matches hosting by a combined 19-2, that it makes you think of match fixing.

Their advantage at the top of the table is such, that this is not a serious dent to their options to top the league in the end.

comoesa repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    GZ comes on, down 3-0, in garbage time. lovely.

in yank on yank news, shane o'neil came on in the 41st.

freisland repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I wouldn't call 76 "garbage time" though. He was brought on with the hope of juicing the attack - 1st off bench.

Would have been nice if he'd sparked a little fight-back however.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    love ya man, but down 3-0 with 14 minutes left is by definition garbage time. in my book at least.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    i'm just frustrated, thats all. and mostly frustrated that the VVV Venlo fan club president guy that i sleuthed out hasn't come back here to give some more insight. all that stalker work for naught.

13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    @Venlonaren1903 hello our dearest VVV Venlo fan. Please help us make sense of the current situation with Zelalem. Is there any news from training on his performance, what do the fans think of him when he plays? etc..

14. :sneaky:Made alot of money today:cool: Needed that for the down payment of my yaght

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Nah. I feel your despondence, but 15-20 minutes is enough time, esp. against a team already up and coasting, to show something as an attacking player. Not saying anyone in Venlo expected a comeback, but that's more than "get on the field so I can tell Arsenal I played you."

The Irish Rover repped this.
  16. One supporter's opinion on the match:
    "Jammer, bij een overwinning hadden ze volgende week met een beetje geluk thuis tegen Almere promotie kunnen bewerkstelligen. NAC speelde een goede pot voetbal en heeft natuurlijk dik verdiend gewonnen. VVV lijkt zichzelf niet meer op het moment, maar het kan toch niet meer fout gaan zou je zeggen ? Jammer dat Steijn de enige echte technisch creatieve voetballer (lees Zelalem) weer 80 minuten op de bank laat verpieteren. Hopelijk herpakt VVV zich volgende week tegen Almere en wordt er weer eens overtuigend gewonnen !"

Pity, with a victory they could have accomplished next week with a bit of luck at home against Almere the promotion. NAC played good football and won the match obviously very much deserved. VVV doesnot seem themself at the moment, but it can not go wrong anymore would you say? It's unfortunate that Steijn kept the only real technical creative footballer (read Zelalem) again 80 minutes on the bench to waste away. Hopefully VVV recovers next week against Almere and wins convincingly again!

Tom Collingsworth, Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

i like it!! no one puts baby in the corner!

18. I'm the best:cool:;)

19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they consider absinthe the equivalent of Amaro in the Netherlands?

I like Amaro. It's the basis for Jagermeister, yet far more drinkable. I have a glass a few times a weeks. Or a few glasses one time a week. Or both. That occurrence is now.

ETA: I ask because it could be a factor in Zelalem's play. If he isn't getting his digestifs properly sorted, how can he be expected to play well?

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Can you provide some video examples. I haven't had the chance to see much of him with Venlo, but what I saw of him with Arsenal during first half of the season, this sounds like lazy, old analysis. He looks like a completely different player to me than he did a couple years before. He keeps the ball too long much less frequently and don't see the slow processing of the game.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A perfect example was yesterday in the game vs. Breda: he had two options to pass immediately but he tried to dribble through the Spanish guy and lost the ball.

The only way to watch the Venlo games is on a stream, though. And no one posts lowlights on YouTube.

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You're mistaking speed of thought with a desire to draw players in before beating them. GZ is one of the fastest thinking players we have, IMO.

23. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    When you are used to MB playing hot potato with ball, guys like Nagbe and Zelalem who keep the ball and actually try to improve their position before laying it off seem ponderous. Mike is a ball botherer who looks super busy but in reality isn't economical with his touches. He will go forward when he has no pressure but he has a tendency to play a hospital pass sideways or even backward to the keeper when faced with minimal pressure.

Midas Mulligan and Gacm32 repped this.
  24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is the curse of the US player who rather play 'safe pass' than one with more risk but reward....

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not really. What I see is a guy who slows down their attack, and that's why he's getting very few minutes.