Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Grandpa, and there was only one movie in town too Grandpa, it was called "Stare at the Sun" and you did it until you went blind and we all liked it...

tomásbernal, ebbro and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guilty.

cpwilson80, chad and Hobo repped this.
  3. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    pay
    7.50 rangers tv

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there.

cpwilson80, Hobo and bungadiri repped this.
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Warburton: Zelalem isn’t guaranteed Rangers starts
    http://www.insidefutbol.com/2015/08...arts-mark-warburton-on-arsenal-talent/231696/

Testudo and Winoman repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Celtic, the non-arguably best team in all of Scotland, is getting schooled by Malmo in the Champions play-off round.

How low has Scottish football fallen!

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a trend...they were knocked out by Maribor of Slovenia last year (after getting crushed by Legia Warsaw 6-1 on aggregate and only advancing on away goals after they were awarded a 3-0 win in the first leg b/c of a late sub for Legia who was ineligible).

The last time Rangers were in Europe they were knocked out of the CL by.....Malmö. They parachuted to the EL playoff round where they were knocked out by....Maribor.

RidiculousLichaj and Suyuntuy repped this.
  8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I would love to see this as a positive move, but I just can't do it! I mean I am popping blood vessels here, but it still seems like he's more likely to get injured than to develop.

I'll go try again.

adi21 repped this.
  10. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy that certain leagues are more likely to cause injury (unless we're talking about the NFL of course). Moreover, at some point Zelalem is going to HAVE to play against big, physical players if he ever wants to be anything more than an academy star.

Gacm32, ebbro, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    One can only imagine the state of play in their second division then...

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. To be honest, even if he just trains with the 1st team while there, it will be a different and more intense experience for him. That's a good stepping stone.

Let's be realistic - the kid isn't going to start (a lot, anyway, perhaps he'll surprise and earn a start or two) and certainly isn't going to dominate the game. The key for him is to get exposed to training in a more physical and intense environment than Arsenal's youth team and to hopefully "grow" his game by adapting to these demands. I hope he proves useful enough to get on the field in real games - that would make this loan a success.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I agree with the first part, but I think he'll get a lot of minutes and that is Arsenal and GZ's expectation. I think too much is made of his slight frame. I'm sure they have been working on him gaining whatever strength he needs. He'll need to adapt to a different style, like he did with our u20s where he didn't look completely in sync, but will likely start off playing very simple one and two touches like he has done when he has gotten on the field with arsenals first team. I hope I'm not wrong but I don't see the kid who didn't look out of place vs Galataseray almost a year ago not breaking into a Scottish championship side. He got dispossessed a few times but his touch, passing and movement is outstanding and think it can easily be adapted to a more direct and frantic style if needed.

14. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Watching the video above, makes me wish he was loaned out to the Turkish first division...

bsky22 repped this.
  15. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This is true to some extent.

But we aren't talking about toughening up a grown man here. GZ is, what, 18. Most 18 year-olds have a lot of growing to do still -- certainly in the devleopment of muscle mass. This seems like the deep end of the pool for no reason.

Also, physical PLAY is fine. Late tackles and high tackles aren't the same as physical play. He could get plenty of physical play by just playing against older, more mature professionals anywhere.

At least this is what the skeptical part of me is saying about this move.

16. footer20

footer20 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In their last game, Rangers lined up in a 4-4-2. Their two first choice central midfielders are Jason Holt and nicky Law. Nicky Law has played in all 6 of their games and scored 10 goals and assisted on 7 more last year but he is 27. They just bought Jason Holt for 92,000 pounds from Hearts. I think Zelalem is more talented but the kid (22 years old) has 5 assists in 6 games this year. I believe Nathan Oduwa of Tottenham is playing out wide on the left but he has appeared in 4 of 6 games. I think we can expect the same out of Gedion, unless he surpasses one of Law or Holt.

bsky22 repped this.
  17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Look at real madrid, you could have a great season and still be bench by a percieved better player. Just because youre doing good doesnt mean another player cant take you to bigger things.

18. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting today in a cup game. Best of luck to him

Testudo, bigt8917, bsky22 and 3 others repped this.
  19. oliveandblue

oliveandblue Member

Jul 7, 2015
    United States
    Club:
    DC United
    It's kinda scary to think that a 19 year old is going to have 50,000 Scottish people expecting brilliance. Rangers fans LOVE him, and everything he does is going to be under the microscope.

20. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well surprisingly enough it looks like there will be a stream available on vip... i will be watching!

21. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

these are the kind of tests our future starters (hopefully) need to be placed under

22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    hes 18 too.
    vip stream? i might just hash out 7.50 for rangers tv. is vip stream good quality?

23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nealesk repped this.
  24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  25. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just disable adblock the re enable it. btw gameday thread?