Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    pooping rainbows!

[​IMG]

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Devastating for GZ. I'm gutted.

DHC1, Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This blows. I don't want to be pessimistic but it could be up to two years before he's back in physical form, the knee is fully strong and he's not thinking about it. But that's crucial years of development that he's missing out on. I hope during this down time and he can work on his body and try to get stronger during the layoff.

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    9 months shouldn't be a problem to be back in physical form. Besides, with GZ's style he doesn't need to worry about losing speed or explosiveness.

Gacm32 repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At least he isn't out of contract so he'll still get paid.

I wonder about his recovery and return to the field though. I'm not sure where it happens, because no one is going to want to take him on loan coming off an ACL tear.

8. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He'll heal of course. But most athletes don't come back to pre-injury form til usually that second year after the ACL injury. GZ's frame needs to add muscle though and I think is the main reason why he hasn't gotten a lot of PL looks up at the moment. He would get mowed down right now.

9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Felt like his career was trending downward... now this.... he might be cooked.

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite an uphill battle from here to get back to where he wants to be.

Worse is people who tear their ACL have much higher rates of repeated knee injuries. When I was a strength and conditioning coach I had a client who tore her left ACL twice and right ACL once by age 22. Creates an unbalance in the body.

Upside is he's not someone like Derrick Rose who lived off his athleticism.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    All players need to worry about losing speed or explosiveness. Either with injuries or at the end of careers. Its why players have to retire. Quickness and explosiveness are all incremental to every player. You lose alittle and you may not be as good as the next guy who wants your position.

Just Offside repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's amazing the number of career-ending or near-ending injuries that happen in international games. No wonder clubs wish they could do away with the whole thing.

And they're usually no-contact, the guy is just running and suddenly, snap, tendon is gone.

Makes me wonder if perhaps international games, the weight of representing your country, tends to cause high levels of stress, and that is what makes the players more prone to such injuries.

13. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Falcao has come back pretty well. Even at an advanced age.

What Geddy needs, like el Tigre, is someone who will give him a chance post-injury.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly hurts the legitimacy of our complaints, when clubs don't let guys go

15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    The real question is will he be able to pass sideways and backwards when he returns......

There..I said it. :)

The Irish Rover repped this.
  16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    On the flip side, a great showing by GZ at the WC would have dramatically increased his transfer value for Arsenal. This was a no-brainer risk in my opinion for GZ and the Gunners.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it seems like it wasn't a non-contact injury, he went down a few minutes prior when the Ecuadoran attacker kicked GZ's standing leg while trying to shoot, which could have put a lot of force on the ligaments from an awkward angle...the next movement with force is when he went down.

It's not good, but it is better than ligaments which give out on their own. And agreed, Gedion is probably the youth player most immune to an injury like this impacting his game.

18. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    well this sucks... Hopefully the knee recovers well and all he does is eat and hit the weight room for his recovery. I'm still a huge fan of his potential, so i'm hoping he eats a lot! :)

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Are you saying he's a 21st Century Claudio Reyna?

20. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take it

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Women are more likely to tear an ACL. Women's basketball players without at least one ACL surgery are becoming rarer each season.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Ok, but you know what I mean - his game isn't built on that. Relatively speaking it will affect him less than a Josh Gatt, for example.

SUDano repped this.
  23. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    And men are more likely to drink from the milk carton. Not sure how you can statistically support this statement but would be curious to hear your evidence and why.

Zelalem's body didn't hold up. Another fragile actor in the genetic lottery.

24. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Tallavana, BostonRed and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FC Tallavana and BostonRed repped this.