Gedion Zelalem at FC Den Bosch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 24, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out at the half, just as I find a stream.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Well......1st start of the year, it's something.

3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Or it was something until he got pulled at half?

HartwickFan and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Pulisic has been pulled after decent halves. It happens, I wouldn't read too much into it.

5. This is why I detest the inclusion of the socalled Jong... teams of the top Eredivisieclubs. It's akin to competitive fraud. Depending on which players show up in the Young teams you as a regula Jupiler club has either a lucky or a lousy day. This wasnot Young Ajax. Each player in the front line of that team is a normal first team selection player. Neres is the Brasilian top talent they recently bought and played in the last several first team matches, either as sub or as starter. Tete is their top defender, who lost his starting spot with the new coach, not for being bad in defending (I consider him as one of the best), but because he doesnot contribute much to the attack (sounds familiar from Vitesse?).

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Don't worry, I'm not.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Any idea how our boy played in the first half?

8. Nope, I missed the highlights, but you can find them googling jupiler league highlights speelronde 37

bsky22 repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ajax needed to give some play time to their guys who haven't played much, ahead of the Europa semi-final vs. Lyon next Wednesday. So I can see their point using this match to train their A-team bench.

Unfair to Venlo? Not much, they're already promoted.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nothing to see except GZ walking around. Never comes close being involved in any of the clips.

HartwickFan and wixson7 repped this.
  11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Yeah, for Reus.

12. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010

Yeah ok just cut to the chase and say you don't rate Zelalem.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I added information to properly contextualize your anecdote. Do you have additional information that would tend to show this early sub was part of an effort to manage a frequently injured top player's minutes?

I am actually a bit bullish on Gedion compared to the prevailing mood.

14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    #2539 beerslinger23, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

CP has been taken off at the half for Reus but he has also been taken out for Emre Mor who is beneath him on the depth chart. He's been taken out at the half for Guerrero and Castro as well IIRC but I don't have the numbers offhand. Reus has been injured for over half of the season and during those periods Pulisic was subbed off at the half a few times. My point was that being subbed off at the half is not necessarily an indictment on the player by the training staff or management.

15. Well, it may seem odd, but sometimes tactics require a lesser gifted player at a certain place on the pitch instead of a better player elsewhere in the team.

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loan is over. Zelalem is heading to California to join the U-20 team

JRB92, KicksNgiggles, ttrevett and 10 others repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Best news this thread has seen in months. Mods, close this thread immediately and never speak of it again... ☺

On serious note, huge oppty for GZ to step up in Korea. C'mon Gideon!!!

madvillain and Alexisonfire repped this.
  18. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say that my first thread title turned out to be quite the miss

DHC1, bballshawn and wixson7 repped this.
  19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid needs to really perform, and if he doesn't he needs to get a full transfer to a lower division side and earn a starting role. These days of toiling in a reserve or youth team, or getting loaned to a team that doesn't really have any use for him should be over. Build your senior career kid.

20. Not your fault. He was given a chance by Arsenal in this division and he didnot grab it. Simple.
    It could have been otherwise. Manchester City loaned last season Enes Ünal to NAC Breda. He grabbed his chance and based on that FC Twente this season gave him a chance in the Eredivisie. He also there grabbed his chance, so that he now is the top 2 scoring young player in Europe and wanted by Dortmund and Lazio, to just name two of the clubs.
    Some people understand how to get yourself up and some donot. The ones that donot get stuck. The ones that do understand to make the most of their chances in the Dutch leagues end up in high awarding teams.

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I appreciated the over-the-top irony from the start.

Zinkoff repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It was greek to me.

Zinkoff repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Latin

24. freisland