Venezuela vs Colombia (Eliminatorias )

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Flipmode2000, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guess we should find out soon where this game will be finally played. Also not good news to see James leave the game with an injury with less than a month away from this game.

2. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There is already speculation that he may miss the games, he needs to rest several weeks. :(

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Official, no James

He'll be out for fu*king 10 weeks. Edwin Cardona should be in form very soon, he'll replace James. I would also like to see Yimmy Chara in the NT this time, he deserves it.

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Venezuela is the worst team in SA right now. Have like 4 points.... I know they are our papas and all but not being able to beat them even without James would be pretty sad especially if it is played outside of Venezuela.

Issue is they always go Super Saiyan god mode every time they play us. As with everything happening to their country they will be even harder to play.

5. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    10 weeks seems a little excessive...ESPN reports 2-3 weeks. Guess we should find out soon.

6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah. I've never seen somebody who walked off the field as calmly as James did be out for that long.

10 weeks would mean he'd miss all 4 remaining matches...

7. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Even if not 10 weeks, for sure he won't play this months and it sucks. On the other hand, a team like Colombia shouldn't depend on one player.

8. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #8 Hovaaa, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    If 2-3 weeks is right he'll be available. We shouldn't depend on one player but this would be a huge loss. Bayern said it was a right thigh muscle injury, meaning that if he was to be out 10 weeks he would have torn it pretty bad, i don't think he would have walked off so casually if that was the case.

Edit:

9. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The only positive is that this eliminates Jamesdepencia and makes the team as a whole step up. Sometimes teams play better without its star player ie. the Knicks in 2000, when Ewing went down.

Furnaccio repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only positive I can see from this is that it looks like Falcao is going to be captain again.
    (God willing he will be healthy. *Saying a prayer as I type this.)

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    going way back in time! love it!!!

12. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ancelotti said that he'll be out for just three weeks. When is this Game played?

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    August 31 so he may be ready if that is true. But he may not be.
    You never know with hamstring injuries since it does not take much to re-aggravate things.

14. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yup. That's very likely. We need him in top form. Hopefully Pekerman uses Izquierdo and Cuadrado on the flanks, Cardona on the center and Falcao up top.

Azucarero repped this.
  15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    If it's just 3 weeks, I think Pekerman calls him and keeps him closely monitored to see if he can make it or not.

16. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    What's worrisome is Brugge has played 3 matches so far this season (Champions League qualifiers among them) and Izquierdo hasn't started any of them. This would be my ideal formation otherwise.

17. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Vs Venezuela I wouldn't cancel an option of Cuadrado-Gio-Cardona and Falcao up front. Gio is in good form, plus can give us the long distance threat against an average minus goalkeeper.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    GioMore and Cardona on at the same time would be interesting. Both are the kind of guys who want the ball and want to push forward.

pibe10 repped this.
  19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Muriel/Cardona/Cuadrado behind Falcao.

20. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    With both of them we will control the midfield and we'll have long distance threat. I would save the faster players to the match vs. Brazil, Gio is too slow for this one.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #21 HomietheClown, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    It is difficult to argue against this.
    He has arguably been the most dangerous player in the Colombian league this season. Very dangerous in transition on counters, can pass the ball for assists and can shoot for golazos.
    The only problem I see (and we have discussed this before) is what position can he play within Pekerman's system? I think the only time he played was against Serbia in a friendly (I could be wrong) and he played almost like a defensive midfielder.
    At Junior he is playing more like a supporting striker to Teo.
    And you say maybe he can be best fit in Caudrado's attacking role next to James.
    Him being so versatile could be to his detriment cause it is difficult to figure out where he can play and what his natural position is.
    Although once it is figured out he could be a good option to throw out there in a super sub speedy role that we have been lacking since Cuadrado has become starter.
    It is good to have an option on the right side like him late in games.
    Factor in him becoming a star in Barranquilla and it may be a no brainer to have him play at least the home games off the bench.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    With James and Izqueirdo injured I would start him against Venezuela depending on Muriel's form. Who else do we have? Copete or Berrio? Pekerman also called up Castillo but he is injured.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know about starting but getting some playing time is a real possibility. Assuming Pekerman even wants to call him up.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And I don't think Izzy's injury is serious. Belgian media seem to think it is just minor and sitting him out is a way to keep him fresh for the next team he may play for.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Worried about LB and back up Goalie.... Ospina going to have 0 minutes. Hopefully it Rueda gets the job in Brazil he can get him on loan.

Is Diaz still part of the team now that he left Colombia and at 34? Fabra don't think Pekerman really likes him because he doesn't know how to defend. Would be shocked if he starts someone new tho. Especially with Brazil the next game