Veepstakes 2016 :: The HillTrumpening

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Jun 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it is supposed to be level and yes, the DNC is supposed to be neutral. And no, "the republicans do it too" is not a good argument.

Nah and nah. We just need a Democratic party that's more responsive to to the labor left. This cycle has been a good start since we got a good chunk of the platform and both the presidential & vice presidential candidate are against TPP. If we get Bernie (or a top surrogate) atop the DNC as well, then all's good.

2. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Hey, he hasn't killed anyone yet.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike Glenn Beck....

crazypete13 repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    :eek:THAT'S what you thought I meant there?:eek:

Maximum possible error.:thumbsdown:

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when? They only actively avoided taking sides in 2008 because the DNC committee was split between Obama and Clinton. The DNC was whole hog for Kerry in 2004 and Gore in 2000.

...Does history just come hard to you guys?

uclacarlos repped this.
  6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I wonder who all those disaffected Bradley & Dean voters went for in 2016.

Does learning from history just come hard to you guys?

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they end up voting for Hillary - and history says they will - I hope you have the courage to stick around so I can hang this quote around your neck.

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they'll vote for Hillary, as will I (and happily). That's not a point of contention.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's exactly the point of contention. The DNC took sides with the winner, and the other candidate's supporters rallied around the DNC candidate. They weren't unhappy with the DNC taking sides then. They are now, because the process "is supposed to be fair." No it's not. It's supposed to be where the Democratic Party chooses its presidential candidate. If it were fair, Republicans would get to help pick.

taosjohn and Minnman repped this.
  10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With what's going on right now on the floor... I mean ... you can feel the tension even on tv! ...

I think the DNC was abso-fooking-lutely were looking out for the party's interest b/c Bernie was f***ing delusional in thinking he had a chance and more important, that his continuing poking at windmills would have zero repercussions. What goddamn idiot.

In case it's not clear: the repercussions of tilting at windmills after being crushed to oblivion in the primary is that he validated his "movement" just going stupid.

Funkfoot and chad repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    That's a strong argument, but it's naive to think that if only Bernie would shut up everything would be rolling along smoothly ...

Alarm bells should be ringing within the political establishments, including the Democrats. 2014 was the lowest turnout since 1942. A whopping 36% of Americans decided to partake in the business of directing this nation. States like California, Texas and New York where the youngest, most diverse and most dynamic Americans live were below 33%.

Party affiliation is in decline down to around only 55% identifying as Democrat or Republican. Congressional job approval is at record lows.

Business as usual is good for short term harmony, but something is fundamentally broken if the Democratic party is not cutting through to people. We underestimate how different this younger generation of Americans really is. The way they communicate and network socially and identify with institutions is not compatible with how our political parties function. There is a breakdown of communication and ignoring it will make this country even more ungovernable and more erratic in the future.

Say what you will about Bernie, he had a way to cut through the noise and reach those kids. Instead of wishing that away what the Democrats need to do is understand how to recreate that in the future with and how to harness its potential in constructive ways.

uclacarlos repped this.
  12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He may have gotten them to turn out for rallies, but that never translated to the actual voting booth.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Who wants Bernie to shut up or the Berners to go away? I'd have voted for him quite happily if he had won the nomination, even if the Republicans had found someone reasonable to nominate against him. I think the first night of the convention demonstrated that they've gained and been ceded a huge influence on the cycle, even to the point of everyone ignoring the conflict between his ecology position and his TPP position.

But they really belong in a world where they are the leftist party and the Democrats are the conservative one, and the Republicans are an extremist group.

Look, in 1970 the SDS and the YSA and those types in effect promoted bad results like Kent State and Czechago in order to radicalize ordinary people against the corrupt system; what they got was Nixon and Agnew and "a kidney stone of a decade" (Garry Trudeau,) but no revolution of the masses. In fact, they were helping to lay the groundwork for Trump.

Seems to me the "Bernie or I'll take my ball and go home" types are taking a similar approach-- "let Trump get elected and then you'll be sorry you didn't buy me that ice cream." I'm concerned that we will all be sorry in a way they do not forsee, and wish they would take just a little broader view of history. It moves very slowly, I'm sorry to say, and backs up almost as often as it shoots forward...

Boloni86 and uclacarlos repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Really, the idea that the nominee should not get to pick their own running mate is pretty much unprecedented in modern times, isn't it? Shows how self absorbed (and stupid, IMO) the berniebots are.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demosthenes repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can live with women being stupid horny like men, but I draw the line at stupid violent. Ladies, we don't need you deciding that today is a good day for dying. We have enough idiot young men doing that already.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Damn Kansas City Kaine.

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're being totally superficial here, he is pretty cute but I'm not wild about his hair.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New hair or old hair? His new hair is whack, but his curly hair in those B&Ws...I wish I had that.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    758638437029195777 is not a valid tweet id

A lot of people were tweeting "cool dad" stuff about Tim Kaine last night during/after his speech but I think Sara had the best and longest series of tweets (at least of people I follow) - I'll let you go read them if you wish, I'd have trouble deciding which ones were the best :) They made my read-thru of last night's tweets quite enjoyable.

uclacarlos repped this.
  21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Forget Dukakis in the tank, forget Trump making fun of John Kerry riding his Serotta.

Governor Hog here:
    [​IMG]

Nice vest, doofus.

American Brummie and sitruc repped this.
  22. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Soooo much Blue Oyster Club, so little joke time.

sitruc and uclacarlos repped this.
  23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Omg, he just had to tuck in his polo shirt.

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, how else were you going to see his chains?

sitruc repped this.
  25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Looks like he's getting all dressed up to go to Chili's.

sitruc and ArsenalMetro repped this.