VAR=new type of penalty?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by persianfootball, Jun 23, 2018.

1. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    the effect of VAR has been significant. we see just how many more penalties are being called due to it. however, not all infractions in the box deny a clear goal scoring opportunity. for example, if there are 3 center backs in the box, and the striker is the only play from his team running down the inside edge of the left or right side of the box, and he is fouled, then should that be a penalty? he was hardly ever going to score in such a situation. my point is that since VAR has and will significantly increased the number of penalties, in order to not create a farce, perhaps another type of set play should be awarded in such situations? for example, a free kick anywhere on the border of the box, with a maximum number of defenders who can build a wall/stay in the box. this will lower the chances of the set play resulting in a goal, which would be more reflective of the chances that the striker would have scored the goal had he not been fouled.

i would also like to take this opportunity to say that VAR can fix pedantic, technical offside calls which would NOT have affected the chances of the goal being scored: that is, when a player is initially in an offside position at the time of the pass, but comes BACK towards his own goal and is no longer offside at the time he takes the shot. if anything, being offside is a DISADVANTAGE for that player in terms of scoring a goal. with VAR, if a goal occurs like this, it should be allowed. such a goal not being allowed has nothing to do with why the offside rule was implemented in the first place: to prevent strikers from camping too far out and having an unrealistic amount of space between them and the last defender which would result in an easy 1 vs 1 situation with the opposing keeper.

an example of the type of offside goal that VAR would ALLOW would be the one Iran scored vs spain:

the offside was on the second ball: the free kick itself was not offside, but after the free kick was taken an Iranian player heads the ball to the "offside" Iranian player, who comes BACK towards his OWN goal, being BEHIND the spanish defenders which makes for a HARDER to score shot, THEN takes the shot and scores, then the goal is correctly but stupidly denied. the "header pass" does not even change the trajectory of the ball anyways, so even if the player had not touched it with his head, the player who scored was initially not offside and it would have counted. i believe that VAR could allow these pro-common sense goals. this would favour attacking play and is good for the sport as a whole.

2. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm anxious to see if you will still be posting as frequently after Monday's game

3. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Var calls have shown... fouls with the legs (tripping even the slightest force) are called... fouls with the arms (pushing) are not unless it’s a handball

4. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    i find that this post is off topic. please keep the banter in the appropriate thread(s).

5. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    other than the german foul on sweden was there a push that was not called?

6. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lots tbh... the one that stands out the most of course is the Swiss goal on brazil

The funniest is watching harry Kane? Getting rugby tackled in the background during corner kicks lol. U just see this blur that looks like harry Kane falling to the ground with a body on top of him. Pretty hilarious

7. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    after the Iran portugal game i think my suggestion is even more needed. it is getting ridiculous.