News: VAR Experiment (video referees 2016-2018)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And the readers from this thread are going to learn what precisely from this contribution?

2. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Ooo-er, after scoffing at this particular response, I was going "Pfft", however, I find myself somewhat in agreement.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Evolution of the use of VAR in a friendly, by former FIFA referee, Hector Baldassi :

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hattrix repped this.
  4. psyc1Ops

psyc1Ops Member

Jun 22, 2017
    Singapore
    How to find if match is fifa-sanctioned? I inquire as the field is wholly natural according to requirement of law 1, a situation that is most prevalent in football playing countries.

5. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    At least he carded the guy that was complaining. :laugh:

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This looks as though it was just a demonstration with rehearsed actions, maybe for training and educational purposes,not a real situation.
    Amusing, nonetheless!

PH

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It really was a match between friends meant for charity organized by Paulo Dybala, where Baldassi made a mock of the use of VAR, with the cell phone of one of the guys in the stands.

Pierre Head repped this.
  9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
  10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I watched most of it, and there weren't really any surprises, other than how old Webb looks with a rapidly graying beard.
    My big problem with the system hasn't changed...why does the CR ever need to review a call, since only clear and obvious errors can, theoretically, be overturned?
    Either trust the VARs, or don't bother with the system.

BTFOOM and ubelmann repped this.
  11. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the problem is that the referee needs to be the final say. At the state, national, and pro level, doesn't matter, we've all been in a room and all watched the same clip and been confidently 50/50 on a call. Some of these will be clear cut: "You carded #2. #2 was 40 yards away at the time. Wrong person." But for subjective situations, and for the symbol that the referee is still the authority, they need to review it sometimes.

12. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    But the whole point is that if it's a subjective situation, it shouldn't be overturned. Clear and obvious shouldn't be subjective, it should be objective, or as close to 99.9% objective as it can be.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yup, just like an AR flag. The R never takes the AR's advice unless he gets to see what the AR saw first. Er, oh, wait a minute . . . The R always has the final say whether he sees what the VAR sees or not.

akindc repped this.
  14. I donot get your problem. It is called Video assistant referee. So it assist the referee, not replace him. When the referee gets the signal a call was wrong and he's already in doubt, he probably will follow the assistent. When he wasnot in doubt, it surely is advisable to have a second look. One only can in that situation decide if it was a clear and obvious error by looking at the situation on the screen. In the end the man on the pitch is the one with the whistle. not the man behind the screen. So if he wants to be sure and have a look at it on the screen, good for him.

15. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    In the end, the CR should trust his assistants, and if the VAR says there was a clear and obvious mistake, he should accept it.

My issue is that there should never be a point where a VAR says, "I'm not sure about this call, you should take a look." It should only come into play when the VAR looks and sees that the CR is clearly and obviously wrong, and the CR needs to trust the VAR in those circumstances.

BTFOOM repped this.
  16. I didnot say the VAR could be in doubt. The acting referee can be. I've witnessed the referrees that did overrule linesman's calls, as he decided his angle of view was better. I donot recall a rule in the book, that the referee cannot overrule the decision of his assistents, but should follow that decision without hesitation.

17. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    But that's when the CR thinks he had a better angle/look than the AR.
    The VAR gets far more information than the CR or the AR could have.

18. Indeed. But it doesnot mean he draws the right conclusion. With VAR we leave behind the premise of the referee is always right. It's not a good idea to introduce/replace it with the VAR is always right.

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Here's a direct link to the video

20. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    at 30:40 in the MLS VAR video they talk about the taking of penalty kicks.

The way Howard Webb talks is as if encroachment on a PK will only be called if it has a direct impact on the play after the kick. I don't mean a millisecond after the ball leaves the kickers foot. I mean if the ball doesn't go in by a save or it hits the post/bar and is still in play.

To me, that sounds like players can encroach all they want. If they end up impacting the play after then it will be called. But if a goal is scored, and an attacker encroached, then the goal stands. If a defender encroaches and the keeper saves it out of bounds then its a corner, not a retake. If the defender encroaches and the attacker missed the goal completely, tough?

That's the impression I get from Howard Webb.

What are your impressions on that segment? Am I misreading his interpretation of that phase of play?

That seems like a big change how PK encroachment has traditionally be called.

21. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Im pretty sure we left that premise behind a long, long time ago.

22. Well, if you go by the whistling and booing by the crowd...yeah;)

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    [QUOTE="asoc, post: 35688939, member: 114710"

That seems like a big change how PK encroachment has traditionally be called.[/QUOTE]

At what level? How often have you seen encroachment called at a high level when the after-play wasn't affected?

I'm of two minds on this one:

If there is no after play, it really is trifling, having no effect on anything.

But if it isn't called on the static cases, it continues and gets more extreme. Then when is called because it matters, people are outraged because no one ever calls it.

I think the reality is this swings on a pendulum -- we go through cycles where trifling wins out and cycles where it is slightly more strictly enforced.

24. unclesox repped this.
  25. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Essentially the worst case scenario. :(