News: VAR Experiment (video referees 2016-2018)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I find it ironic that you spend so much of your VAR arguments looking through the eyes of the fans, coaches, and the media, and so little on the refs themselves.
    Look through the threads on any major competition on this board...how many times will you see a post like this:

"What a terrible call by (insert referee)....there's no way he's getting the (insert big game) now."

That is what VAR is going to eliminate, or at least drastically reduce. A referee is going to get a chance to finally see the same replays we see at home, and have an opportunity prevent a game changing error that could screw up his career, or tournament.

The fact that most people don't get the nuances of the system yet is unfortunate. Yes, people will be shocked and annoyed when something can't be reviewed, or isn't overturned when they think it should. Yes, it'll slow down the game a bit.

But the excitement isn't about technology for the sake of technology. No one was excited about the AARs because it was essentially putting a band-aid over a gaping wound, not because it was low-tech. People are excited about VAR because it's the first major change in the history of refereeing, the first real help referees have gotten since the slow-mo HD age began, where everyone at home could see a dozen beautiful angles of every call while the refs couldn't even look up at the video screen.

Fans, coaches and players alike will learn what we all know now...that replay isn't a panacea. It will open its own can of worms, and will give people new things to argue about...which, as you point out, they might enjoy.

But it'll save great refs from embarrassing decisions. It'll save ref's careers and reputations.
    If you think the fans and media only care about VAR because it's a shiny new thing...fine.
    We'll all know why it's really important.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it unbelievable that you find irony in that. The game is about the players and the fans and the coaches and the media. This is about fundamentally changing the sport at the highest levels. If it's changed for the worse, that hurts everyone, including referees. I want the sport to be as fun and as popular and as exciting as possible because I love the sport, not because I feel an affinity for any individual referee.

I was going to go point by point to respond, but it gets repetitive and probably tiring for others. So just a few observations:

1) If a referee has to resort to VAR more than his colleagues, I would confidently suggest that it's still going to negatively affect his assignments because it says a lot about his initial decision-making, which still matters.

2) People in the future being shocked or annoyed that something can't be reviewed will only lead to an expansion of VAR, and that's the slippery slope many of us fear.

3) I can't believe you and others gloss over the "slowing the game down" part. If you didn't look at it as a referee first, and allow for the possibility that soccer doesn't have a permanent monopoly on being the world's most popular game, you would likely have more concern over this.

4) I believe you either don't appreciate or don't know what AARs do. Because I don't understand how you can dismiss them as a band-aid, but be so welcoming of VAR.

5) Saying VAR is the first "help" referees have gotten ignores a slew of other things but also pretty much confirms my point about it being technology that drives attention. The introduction of cards was help. The switch from linesmen to ARs was help. The addition of AARs was help. Magic spray is help. Beeper flags and radios are help (admittedly, low-level technology). GLT is help. VAR is not the first help referees have gotten. It's the first or second (if you count GLT) type of high-tech help they've gotten.

Does your last sentence here mean it's really important because it saves refs from embarrassing decisions? And is the "we" in "we'll all know" mean the other referees on this forum, or some other group? Just trying to discern who you're speaking for and what this means.

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    it's a trend in pretty much every sport that soccer can no longer ignore.

Every sport that has replay tweaks the rules for a variety of reasons. I expect the VAR will be no different.

Even the Indian Cricket board has finally come around to allowing video challenges. And that's one of the most conservative sports there is.

With so much money on the line it's inevitable that the match officials are able to use this technology to try and get as many things correct as possible. It still won't be perfect. And we'll all get to argue over whether a decision was really correctly decided by replay or not. The NHL already has plenty of arguments over it's replay system. And we'll still have the DisCo to screw things up in MLS. :)

akindc repped this.
  4. I think we all can agree any system can remedy much, but not all, perceived or not, flawed decision making.

akindc repped this.
  5. For those interested coming sunday 30 april 2017 at 18:00 cest the Dutch Cup Final will take place in the Feyenoord Stadium. In that match both VAR and Hawkeye will be used.

6. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Nothing but positive results so far."

mathguy ref and socal lurker repped this.
  8. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In the first play that's the kind of play you would expect would be a missed offside on the field that is caught by VAR. instead it's caught correctly live and VAR somehow overrules it.

And in the second the impression given is the only thing they looked at was the onside/offside part of the play and they completely ignored the VC.

I'm trying to have an open mind while they work out the kinks but either the system is just flawed beyond hope or this particular VAR is hopeless.

9. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Premier League and PGMO split over referees' final say in video rulings

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-pgmo-split-referees-final-say-video-rulings/

This is an interesting article about England not being sure which way to go with... Up until now, despite following the VAR implementation somewhat, I haven't really thought about this issue. So what is FIFA doing? Will we be going towards referee with a tablet view like we've had at the Club World Cup, or is VAR going to be final, like UEFA did for the friendlies? This is interesting and I guess the latter will make the game go faster, but it certainly will also have its negative effects in that the referee is giving a penalty based on what he has heard from an authoritative source, sure, but for an incident he potentially has not seen at all. Just seems weird philosophically speaking.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really amazing. It was a great call by the AR--the sort that usually gets missed. And then it's overturned by VAR. If you want to make an argument that the attacker was dribbling and there was really no "offside snapshot" to take, I think you're completely wrong, but I would at least understand the argument. However--it's just that, an argument. For VAR to overturn a call it has to be a clear error. This was nothing of the sort. Moreover, even if you don't buy that it was offside, you can definitely buy that it's impeding. And, in goal situations, fouls in the build-up can be reviewed. Absolutely shocking this goal got overturned.

And this is also wrong. PRO referees were instructed by the IFAB that, once VAR is initiated, everything (within the reviewable scope) can be addressed. So if you start a review to confirm an offside decision but you clearly see missed VC, you are obligated to punish the VC. Either the VAR forgot that here or, in the rush to get the offside decision correct, just didn't notice. No matter what, they got this wrong, too.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting because the VAR protocols explicitly allow for both processes to be used in the same match. The document refers to situations where decisions are made solely on the basis of information from the VAR and then on-field reviews by the referee (OFRs). The subsequent paragraph reads:

So the IFAB already lays out, in general terms, when OFRs should be used and when they shouldn't. But in England, it sounds like they want to pick one way or another and stick with it. That sounds like it violates the protocols. Moreover, if we end up with VAR permanently, I imagine the IFAB will pick the system (if we're choosing only one of the two methods) after the experimental phase, so not sure why England would even want to pick now, since the IFAB could go the other route in 2019.

12. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Is anybody else curious/worried about what the advent of VAR is going to do to people's expectations of those of us without the resume to be on those games?

Maybe it's a non-issue, I guess if any here have any insight into gridiron or hockey officiating at youth that would be instructive.

I wonder whether the "perfection" /s we are after here is worth it. For reasons admittedly romantic I'm not in favor of VAR, not that anybody gives a fig what a 49-year-old Grade 8 thinks.

Ismitje repped this.
  13. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was on a thread talking about the Rashford PK against Swansea. and the top comments were all about how they needed VAR. that this is just a travesty.

My question would be if VAR would overturn that call. Keeper did make some contact with Rashford's foot.

But all posts that fans had was that this was NOT good to have these controversial calls. This could mean relegation for Swansea, now they could have done better in 12 other matches before this call to not be in danger of regulation, but it is quite a catalyst that could push for VAR from the fans standpoint.

Like Pitt reff said I have seen this video replay used a lot during this NHL playoff season (Go Pens!!) and almost every pundit who is watch the replay comes up with a different answer than what the head NHL office comes back with. It seems to confuse more than clarify.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about exactly this over the weekend (along with the Manchester City penalty).

Fans will see those incidents as perfect opportunities to employ VAR. But I have no idea what the outcome would be in either situation and I worry it would be different, depending upon the VAR. They both involve contact. They both appear to be caused primarily by the attacker sticking his leg out into a place to ensure contact. And they both involve the attackers going down before there is contact. However, they also both involve challenges from opponents who, to their credit, pull out when they realize they won't get the ball, in an attempt to avoid getting the man. For me--and I'm sure most non partisan fans--both were cases of simulation. But are either "clear and obvious" errors, given the "attempting to trip" clause in the LOTG? I would hope VAR would overturn both. Given what we've seen so far, I'm not confident.

As an example, the DFB in Germany is doing "non-live" trials (in other words, they are employing a VAR system as practice for the VARs, but not communicating with the referee and not changing decisions on the field). My understanding is that, despite four out of four VARs wanting to overturn the below penalty decision and give a simulation card, the DFB itself said the penalty should have stood because the upper body contact means it's not a clear and obvious error.

https://picload.org/image/rcllardr/20170422fcisvw3.gif

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Just as calls on the field can be different based on the R or AR!

But more seriously, I think that really highlights part of what is different from how soccer VAR is being used to how it is used in many sports. Who touched the ball last or whether both feet were behind the three point line are objective issues -- they may be hard to tell, but it is an objective fact with clear criteria. Even the NFL "did he have control of the ball" questions, while having some level of subjectivity, are far more concrete than the type of plays that we are looking to review. In no universe is there going to be clear consensus on things like simulation, even with numerous angles. We're just changing the nature of the subjective review from the one chance the R (and his assistants) got to see it to multiple angles of review at a slower pace.

I think some of the support folks get from watching this type of play is that in their eyes (with their team colored glasses on), they see enough evidence to rule -- and assume that a VAR would see it their way. But we know from debates on here that people see different things in video -- we will get more consistency, but we're never going to complete consistency.

But since all of the results have been positive, maybe I'm just a luddite.

16. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #266 jarbitro, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Honest question: In Australia, who is the VAR? That Sydney decision was awful, but I'd expect it from someone who has enough training to be...say a 4th official, or on the periphery of the league, but you'd expect by the semi-finals to have a legit top-level AR making that call. I wonder if in Australia they just don't have the depth of the bench to staff the VAR with top-level officials.

If that's the case, that's another obvious problem with this system. Even an "old-school" retired AR likely might not have the training to make that call. MLB gets around that by having one set of eyes for all games in a central location. Not rally feasible in soccer though.

EDIT: it was Strebre Delovksi, who was one of their top referees last year (or two years ago?). But I doubt he has any AR specific training so that's kind of unfortunate.

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    These are all interesting points to me. Especially the black/white decisions that are reviewable in other sports one above.

I suppose the current NHL mess is using replay to make subjective decisions. And some NFL decisions seem that way as well. But most others only use it for objective things like in or out of bounds.

We're still going to have plenty of stuff to debate. :)

18. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    On a lighter note, this cartoon by David Squires re: the A-League clash between Melbourne and Sydney, makes its own case.

Attached Files:

jayhonk and refinDC repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was finally able to listen to this on Wednesday evening. Well worth the hour. Webb was engaging, optimistic, but fair in his assessment. Also fun insight into the appointment process for the UCL and WC Finals. Just a very good listen overall if you're interested in refereeing or VAR.

Only thing I found funny, however, was when he said FIFA would make a decision later this year (I think he speculated in "months") about VAR in the World Cup and that he was hoping for a positive decision because it would mean the trials here were going well. FIFA announced its decision a day or two after this podcast was published.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The live trials have been expanding. VAR used to correctly disallow a goal in a French promotion/relegation battle:

https://streamable.com/yjlun

IASocFan repped this.
  21. Red card revoked after VAR looked at the scene.
    In the play off match for promotion/relegation NAC Breda vs NEC Nijmegen the referee issued a red card to NEC player Wojciech Golla for fouling a player with a free run towards the goal. When the VAR looked at the scene it turned out the NAC player was the first to foul the defender.
    Think this is a first.

22. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #272 tomek75, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶?̶

Never-mind I found it:

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a brave new world.

I mean, they are clearly both holding from the moment they engage. Maybe calling the attacker for the hold is easier and less controversial but is calling the defender really a "clear and obvious error?" This seems to fall into the category of using VAR to get a more desirable outcome rather than using it to avoid a clear mistake. That's not supposed to be the purpose.

jarbitro repped this.
  24. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    IMO this is a clear error - not in judgement, just a missed hold. In general I share your opinion of video review, I think it's a mostly a mess, but in this particular case I think it worked as intended.

jayhonk repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think it's clear the attacking hold occurs before the defensive hold? I admit the attacker is holding the defender when the defender goes to jump, which is certainly the point where it matters most. But they are also both holding prior to the defender jumping.

I don't know. Watching the video I think calling the attacker is the preferred decision. But I just don't see a clear and obvious error by going in the other direction. There's a relative lack of reaction from the defenders--seems like the intervention was unexpected. This is the kind of incident that can go either way in dynamic play.