Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Vancouver interest is legitimate, Giroud will never come to Vancouver. More likely to wind up at a New York, DC or LA club.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    shocked that you would even consider that the caps owners would be willing to pay +$6 mill in salary (at their cost) for a player like giroud who is 33

its PR CRAP- if the owners even pull $2-3 mill from their wallets for salaries that is a small victory for us long-suffering supporters- they will do the least amount that they think will satisfy the supporters which will still put us in the bottom 3rd for spending

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Because he has no choice in what they "leak" to their chosen media outlets.
    A) Make overtures to a well known big name forward
    B) He says "No thanks"
    C) They can say "We tried"

Why? To generate some press and hopefully sell some tickets. Marketing 101.

Would MDS take Giroud? In a heartbeat. Who wouldn't?

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    ^It's strictly marketing, just like that Winnipeg kid (and future Valour FC member) Mukumbilwa making his debut.

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Its BS marketing and people read these on twitter and even the media writers fall for it.

They want to sell the narrative that they tried to get some big players, couldn't, so this is what we get. They pulled that in the summer with Cavallini (offered much less than the needed transfer fee to a player who would not come to MLS at this time; guaranteed refusal), and then said we should wait until the next transfer window and buy our tickets with the refund clause.

So now they do it again. Whitecaps are "linked". Making a call (if they even did that), asking a price, and that is the end of the discussion is not "linked" to anything. This is like me emailing Gent and asking if Jonathan David can do sales for my business( guaranteed ignoring of my email); and then put out a rumor saying he was linked to joining my company. Silly example, but not so silly as this is what the Caps are doing. Give us a rumor of a player who the Caps actually would pay for and seriously get if the player was interested; otherwise it is nonsense

Even if Mr. Kerfoot has a huge epiphany and decides to spend money on salaries for a player making more than a million bucks a year, he would be dipping his toes in with someone mid range. He does not go from 9 years of absolute cheapness to 6 million dollar salary player in one off season.

This is the kind of stuff that has put me off of this ownership; 9 years of it in MLS and it is getting worse, not better.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    right on Old Fan!!

why supposedly knowledgeable soccer people report these lies is beyond me... and why some believe them is even more disturbing

i would be surprised if even 1 person buys a ST because of these types of inane rumors-- however, STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES

reporters like GlassCity and 86erForever loose credibility when they write up this sh**e

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and that comment above does not diminish all the good work they have done- both GC and 86forever have put in countless hours to report and comment about the Whitecaps

and for that, i say T Y to both

thinking that the Caps owners will supply salaries in the area of over $20 mill- TFC territory- is just plain nonsense

please, dont let the Caps FO manipulate you into writing absurd scouting reports- keep your writing integrity-

8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Nobody wants to get "scooped" by other reporters so they report quickly without waiting for confirmation or denial from the player or his agent. Different time zones etc.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GlassCity cant take a comment about his reporting on the Caps' interest in Giroud and Bradley- GC blocked me on his site

surely the sky is falling in GC's soccer world when he worries about a comment about the inane rumor of the Caps' owners spending an extra $12-13 mill on player salaries- he is now entering into the Caps world of BS

if he cant stand the heat, then he should stay out of the kitchen

PS i also praised him for his reporting prior to the last 4-5 months- of course, we all know he had a mole in the Caps FO who has now gone into the dark underground- anyone know who it was ?

10. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I said on here a while back I feel his "source" within the Caps was Bobby. He never posts in this forum, but he certainly replied to that one denying it.

My reasoning is this:

1 - He had good intel over the years of Caps in MLS, not a lot but some good nuggets from time to time that made it clear he had a contact. In spite of changes of regimes from Rennie, to Carl, to MDS, he had it. So it had to be someone who was there the whole time. Leaving Bobby and Rachel. Other FO employees or people in other parts of the business are not going to be privy to player targets and so forth

2 - After Carl got fired the Caps were in need to giving hope to the fans. That offseason was the busiest for GC player rumors and he got a lot of them right. Bobby/Rachel would have had an interest in that positive interest online

3 - Rachel is finances so I feel Bobby is more likely

4- Bobby was pretty much out of operations after the McCormack letter was released. GC's feed turned into nothing beyond a collection of news feeds and links from around the world (a great source of all of that, but not "inside").

So to me, that adds up to Bobby.

Doesn't matter if I am right or wrong, it was fun to speculate. But his information source is certainly long gone.

Sorry to hear he blocked you, I assume you mean twitter? It happens, people need their echo chambers to feel validated at times. There is a whole other conversation about social media and how it has killed legitimate debate because it has led to everyone seeking to feel their internal narrative is right and they isolate themselves from challenging (or even changing GASP!) their beliefs. Making beliefs without evidence or in the face of overwhelming contradictory evidence was the territory of religion; it has now become the territory of everyone

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, its mid-november- NO SPORTING DIRECTOR OR HEAD SCOUT

and i cant think of any good or reasonably good reason why any soccer knowledgeable, experienced, well-connected people would want to come to this 'dog and pony' Club with a lying band of seven- 4 owners and 3 FO staff

its all falling on MDS and his staff to carry the torch- how exhausted they must be!!

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well the new Sporting Director has an impressive resume, so if it goes as well, then 'hats off' to the ownership

Following an extensive global search, Vancouver Whitecaps FC confirmed on Friday that Axel Schuster has been hired as the club’s sporting director.

Whitecaps FC sporting director Axel Schuster

• Reporting to ownership, oversees all technical aspects of Whitecaps FC from youth to first team
    • Senior director of professional football at FC Schalke 04 from June 2016 to June 2019, included a runner-up finish during the 2017-18 Bundesliga season and qualification to the UEFA Champions League, which saw them advance to the knockout stage
    • Head of football operations at FSV Mainz 05 for over 16 years, from December 1999 to June 2016, and helped the club earn promotion to the Bundesliga, a spot in the UEFA Cup, and a U-19 championship for the first time in club history
    • Youth coach and later youth director at FSV Mainz 05 from 1992 to 1999, holds a UEFA A Licence
    he must have been assured of some degree of player upgrade funding - he doesnt strike me as a soccer guy who will be complacent or accepting of being a bottom feeder or just scraping into the playoffs

it wouldnt surprise me to see schulster hire a head scout that he has a connection with

it appears like a very good start and lets see how the next 2.5 months go as far as the team - resigned and new -- it has to go beyond the MLS money pots so i am expecting some glued wallets to have opened and some USL-quality 2019 players not coming back - we need 6-7 new and better quality players

what will the Caps do with reyna, erice, PC, godoy? i wonder where the coaches are scouting these days ?

today is a good day and its been a long time coming that we supporters have some sunshine

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Very nice catch.

Agreed. He strikes me as ambitious.

The weirdest thing to me about the intro/interview was that Shalke only had 3 scouts? WTF? Totally floored me. That's a huge club in Germany & Europe.

The cold beer was very enjoyable today.

14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    What can he really do if Kerfoot doesn't change the salary budget? Sure, he can shore up the many mistakes MDS made last year in players and get a lot more bang for that salary cap dollar. But if they keep signing players that make 1.2 million or less they are not changing their ways and will still have that concrete ceiling over them. This may make supporters smile, but this guy will hit a ceiling too without the ability to get at least one impact player who makes 1.8 million or above in salary.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i dont see a soccer executive like schuster coming to the Caps without an increase in salary cap $$$$$$$$$, like in the neighborhood of $3-4 mill

OUCH!!!!!!!! cant believe i am still hoping - must be the magic mushrooms wafting in the air across my proboscis

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    This is his first position like this, so for him its a resume builder. And we know that our owners keep feeding pie in the sky saying that they never follow through on. It would not be unreasonable to think that he was sold more than what he will be getting.

If Kerfoot stays the same as he has for 10 years, this fella will be gone in 2 years or less. They have a concrete ceiling on them and no matter how good he is , he will still be stuck under that slab.

IF kerfoot changes, even a little bit (say a player with a 2 million dollar salary who is a legit impact player), then there is hope. Otherwise its just taking that C level student and getting it up to a C+.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i dont think we are even a C student at this point- more like a D- getting to be a C average in MLS would mean with the Caps can be in the playoff hunt- we will know by training camp in january-february- TICK, TICK, TICK

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1844 A moment ago New
    Lucas Cavallini: sounds like a done deal

UDN Radio’s Leo Vasquez confirmed that Cavallini had 3 proposals on the table to come to MLS, with the Whitecaps, Sporting Kansas City and the Chicago Fire being the 3 parties interested.

Las tres propuestas cercanas que tiene #Puebla en la mesa por #LucasCavallini son procedentes de la MLS.

Los equipos interesados son:@SportingKC, @ChicagoFire y @WhitecapsFC.@TudnRadio pic.twitter.com/2ke9gdtI10

— Leo Vazquez (@leo_0094) December 6, 2019
    Of those 3, the Whitecaps remain the frontrunners, because as reported by ESPN earlier this week, they own his Discovery Rights in MLS, which means that they have the first right of refusal on any other offers. Given that they have been attempting to splash the cash on a big striking option all summer, it’s hard to not see them matching any potential offer SKC or Chicago offers, which is why ESPN gave a 45% chance that Cavallini moves to the West Coast this window.

read the rest of the article:

https://btsvancity.com/2019/12/06/n...llini-could-bring-to-the-vancouver-whitecaps/

i reckon that MLS will pitch in with some transfer $$$ as his fee is in the $6-7 CD mill range; salary in the $1.25 mill CD range - probably will get a contract of about $2 mill which will leave the Caps with davies transfer $$$ and salary room for more upgrades- MF and CB (and maybe the signing of loan players, godoy and chirinos, although i am not overawed by them)

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    With that, they need to buyout Montero.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i would keep fredy and buy-out erice, but i think both are expendable

tm13 repped this.
  22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    unless the Caps do a major upgrade to the MF- ie 2 new players to complement in-boem- then signing cavallini- and with this leadership group of owners and FO one can would never be wrong to be suspicious that they arent trying another ruse; we have been betrayed and lied to too many times- then the $$$$$$$ to purchase and pay lucas would be wasteful

every striker with a deep nose for scoring needs creative support- outside of reyna, the Caps are thin in that area- in-boem is not what i would call an attacking-creative MF, but more like a # 6 or 8

do we get a Xmas gift or a lump of coal ??

23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    He is definitely NOT a #6. Sorry but he coughs up the ball in our half way too much. Once in the attacking half he is on his game and doesn't do that.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i think you are right about in-boem- he is more suited to a #8 role

SKC are ut of the running for cavallini- they just signed alan pulido, a significant goal scorer from mexico, and brought back khiry shelton, another striker

25. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They were so many pundits talking last year about In Beom's best midfield position. For instance, Shill and Dolie raved about his effectiveness in the holding mid spot (the #6) and I don't think the coach had a grasp of the Korean's best position (even starting him on the left wing of a 4-3-3).

Regardless, this much is clear: he needs two much better guys as his midfield partners than he had last year in order for the team to make significant improvements. Erice doesn't have the athleticism for the defensive role so he should be moved. Rose is a big body with no game and Teibert flatters to deceive. Big time improvements are needed