Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i would be surprised if MDS went out to get another LB- he brought in PC and Sutter so if he bypasses them, what are you telling the players ? 1 of them has to be given the chance and its not like levis is a top-rated LB anyways

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MDS is building the team firstly on defence, our achilles heel in 2018; our lack of scoring in preseason doesnt bother me at this time- we'll see how next saturday goes and the first 8 games

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They need a natural left sider for that position. Sutter is as right sided as Nerwinski.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    J. J. Adams has tweeted that Levis' injury is muscular in nature so still unclear and that MDS is not comfortable having only PC for that position, so it's clear that neither Sutter or Nerwinski (or the left footed Cornelius) are seen as options there.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I bet they wish Marcel was still around.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i dont think so-- PC Giro is the choice MDS has to go with... and he's left-footed-- he was brought in to fill these type of injury situations- its the least disruptive move

8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I don't have any issue with De Jong not being here because MDS and his coaching staff clearly felt he wasn't the present let alone the future. I trust their judgement with that assessment. On the other hand, if Levis indeed has a more serious injury than first believed, than I have to question somebody's judgement with regards to thinking he'd be a reliable squad member, based on his injury past. And they'll be "need" buying for an LB pretty quickly, if that is the case.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    PC has to be given the LB position and until he is proven not good enough, its his; second choice would be cornelius, also left-footed and godoy would slip in to be the CB he was signed to be- bringing in a recruitment at this juncture doesnt make sense to me- i think MDS will use the player he got from orlando... PC

MDS quote from december 8 when he acquired PC-

“PC is good technically, he’s aggressive, he’s fast, and he has a lot of culture in his game,” said Whitecaps FC head coach Marc Dos Santos. “We believe in the qualities he has.”

10. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1685 OldFan2015, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    In case the few people here on BS have not read this. It explains a lot of the rumors we used to hear when following the women's programs, why the women's program was shut down in 2011-2012, the strong arming of girls to play for the Caps back then or lose their national team spot, and the general covering up of incidents by the club (boys hazing, BLondell, etc). This article will make you angry (at least it should), and if you do not feel Mr Kerfoot should sell the team and Bobby and Rachel should be immediately dismissed, I would be surprised. You will not feel good about the Whitecaps after reading this. It also gives context to many of the baffling ways this organization has been run as it is clear this is an overall management and governance issue, not a one off or isolated incident.

It was also posted yesterday and nobody in our formal media has written about it. Weber tweeted this, and good for him. But he is not in the media at his time. But sure as heck the media is all over Mike Bibby getting accused of something.

This is REALLY bad. I can not over state that. Give yourself 15 minutes and read the entire post and digest it. Don't just skim a headline. This is an important story.

https://ciaramccormack.com/2019/02/...ants-to-listen-to-but-everyone-needs-to-hear/

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Can't get anyone at the club to answer the phone today (I need to call about my Caps Card).

Maybe this story is getting traction.

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I read about it yesterday and it is very disturbing. In light of the very recent major report about coaching abuses in Canada, sexual and otherwise, I'm not surprised at all that more victims are courageously stepping forward to share their awful experiences.

I believe that a thorough criminal investigation needs to be done on the Whitecaps women's program. Heads should be rolling in the front office if it looked like they were "Penn State-ing" it.

I have heard rumours that Blondell was arrested for sexual assault, but there are zero specific details about that. If this arrest happened last year and some prominent media/social media types knew about it but didn't report it for whatever self-serving reason, then their integrity and ethics need to be called into question.

13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re Blondell:

I like Glass City as a source, but for him to just tweet this yesterday, the same day Ciara puts out her article, is not smelling right to me. He could have been honoring his sources request to not mention it, and after yesterday, decided to pile on the train and add to the narrative of the Caps trying to cover up bad things.

I don't know, but GC is not looking good either. There is a strong argument that it should not be reported as BLondell was not charged. If that was GC's argument, then why throw it out yesterday? To bury the player? To add to Ciara's narrative? Smells. GC's source gives him enough detail to know what players had for breakfast, I can't see any way he could say he was just told about Bondell yesterday.

Things around this club get weirder and weirder.

Re: Women's Program

As for the women's program. THere were many head scratchers, rumors, and strange happenings back then; leading to a sudden shut down of the program. But there was never someone to come out and connect it all. Ciara has done a very bold thing.

Her article alone doesn't seem like enough to look into anything criminal; but if she empowers other players to come forward; this could turn into a major scandal. Major. Magnified by the fact a lot of the women in that program were under 18. If enough women come forward we will likely hear things about other coaches with the Caps and Women's national program. This could get very ugly.

I am sad to see this; but encouraged that perhaps this is finally a process to purge the bad elements of Whitecaps FC out and build a better club.

I have been very consistent on Mr Kerfoot having to go; this just continues that narrative. Sell your share to Mallet, fire Bobby and Rachel, hire someone new, and get on with it. We have a fantastic coach now, let's build on that. MDS won't stick around long if the club has so much stink to it.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it only takes a small peeble in a pond to create a large ripple

Coastal FC Soccer Club in surrey has suspended the coach in question until they find out more about the allegations- should his name be made public ??

often- as we have seen in multiple cases such as bill cosby- when 1 victim has the courage to speak out, multiple others also find the courage to do so- there are some players on the Canadian Womens National Team who were a part of the Under 20 team in 2007-- and some have retired- some of them must have info about what went on and hopefully they too will find the courage to step up to the plate- THIS IS MORE THAN JUST SOCCER- its about providing a safe and healthy environment for young athletes

at this point, it is 1 ex-2007 Under 20 player who wasnt sexually assaulted, etc that has opened up

methinks this will go further and the Caps organization and the CSA will be part of it- we can be assured that the Whitecap majority owner, greg kerfoot, aka The Shadow, will NOT be visibly or verbally involved in this-- but if the Caps FO did do a cover-up, then he will have to be involved in the process to uncover the TRUTH

as usual, we can expect the bureaucrats to bob and weave, deny and attack the messenger- it never works in this day and age- but i do expect other shoes to drop and the whistleblower is not in it alone-the ducks are lined up- QUACK, QUACK, QUACK

15. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    The most disturbing things for me in that read was that "coach Billy" is:
    A) coaching anywhere
    B) coaching youth
    C) coaching teenage girls

CSA & BCPSL WTF???? Do you not check the background of the people you allow in the system?

I know the age of consent is 16 (I think) makes some of it arguably legal but unquestionably a disgusting abuse of power over very young players.

Good on the mom of the boy abused by teammates. NEVER rely on the club. Go to the cops is the only way to deal with these issues.

I think this type of stuff goes on way too much at way too many clubs at all levels for boys and girls in all sports. Maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Here's hoping.

PS. This is getting some traction in the alt media. It is also being covered at eightysixforever.com so keep spreading the link to the blog everyone!

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^ I believe Coastal FC attempted to do a background check and contacted the Caps and they said there were no incidents of concern to report. I doubt they would have hired him of the Caps revealed even a portion of what Ciara alleges she told Bobby in a private meeting. So, who is the issue here?

They are an organization that is so afraid of facing truth about anything; they try to hide for cover as much as they can (this comes from the owner who is terrified to even have a "Hello" on public record).

It is starting to get traction, but very surface. They talk about Ciara's blog and Coastal FC suspending someone. But nothing is generating heat on Bobby and Rachel (the managers in question during that time). Bob Mackin named all the names which other media wouldn't do; but unless he starts to investigate it himself this may not go too far. Our media don't want to burn their bridges with the Caps and Bobby so they are playing it soft right now.

If more women come forward on record, with their names, and stories that contribute to the pattern in Ciara's blog; well, then we have something that might lead to significant change.

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    The guys over at 86Forever had the idea of posting polite questions about it on Steve Nash's twitter.

He wasn't owner then so he is the cleanest and has the least, if anything, to hide. He is also the most publicly known figure in the ownership group so a great wedge into the highest part of the Caps power structure.

The whole problem is that the cops were never involved. If someone contacts you about a former employee you can be sued if you say something that isn't proven. If the cops were called, even if they don't find enough evidence to lay charges, it changes the game. Like I said in the previous post, kudos to the mom of the abused boy for insisting the cops be involved.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    unless at least 2 more women from the Whitecap/Canadian soccer era of 2008 come forward, this story will be old news in 1-2 weeks and ciara mccormack will be... WHO ?

19. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    She has been well received and not torched in a bad way from what I can tell, so perhaps other women will find courage to come forward.

If no one else comes forward; well, at least Coach Billy is not coaching teenage girls anymore

20. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yes, that is the first great thing to come of it. I think that might have been what got Ciara so PO'd that she posted it. That he could be in that position again is just unbelievable. Hopefully more will happen and all sports orgs will be forced to clean up their acts starting with our Caps.

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Peter was on 1040 on behalf of the BCSA and was very corporate speak. I did get a laugh that he seemed to note that some people online could risk being sued. By who? Coach Billy ? Can he afford to go to court? Can he sue someone who named him, and that person will bring in Ciara to swear an affidavit?

Coach Billy isn't suing anyone. Peter's thinly veiled warning was funny.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    with a new and apparently exciting LB coming in next week, MDS has filled in our biggest weakness- wouldnt surprise me to see levis be loaned out to get more experience and i am not convinced he will be MLS quality (same goes for nerwinski who could end up being a sub- the quality of MLS is raising up every year and some players will be left behind)
    i am hoping for a dynamic MF- DP level- coming in by July and a player like felipe being pushed to the bench- same reason as nerwinski

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I went on about the Baldwin Carl pipeline on this forum to mostly crickets. It smelled bad and looked corrupt Well, Glass City finally has started to release some serious details; and they are BAD.

Now, obviously this will get minimal if any reporting in our media, but for Fs sakes, this is another sign the owner needs to go to allow this.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its a great read on Glass City- and he is citing multiple sources with the same outrageous and condemning information about robo getting financial kickbacks from agent, david baldwin, who used to be with Base Soccer Agency

and it does finalize the concept that Old Fan, myself and a few others who have been screaming for the past 3 years that something was dreadfully amiss with Robo siging weak and incompetent soccer players and wasting millions of player MLS allotted salary money- the list is extensive

if true, robo's days as a professional coach are over; if not true, then i would expect a robo-filed lawsuit asap

as a side note, its interesting that john park, the Club's head of scouting and involved in player signings for the past 3 years, resigned this week- coincidental??

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps