Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    nothing wrong with being wrong-speculation is part of what the BSB is all about- there are still ashes to be found from your burning

but i think MDS will have 2-3 new signings within the next 7-10 days and 1 needs to be a goal scorer which are hard to find and sign, unless he has a history of being a lazy or disinterested player (i get red flags all over the possibility of the Caps signing gary hooper from Sheffield Wednesday of the Champions league- 12 teams in 12 years and scores about a goal every 3 games- something doesnt add up- might be another juarez)

panic buying of a player leads to huge mistakes, so i am willing to work my patience button for a couple of more weeks and into early february

2. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    One day to go ...

BearcatSA repped this.
  3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Fingers crossed for your success!

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    New pool: Derek Cornelius formal signing announcement? I'll go with Tuesday, Jan 22/19 at 10:01 PST

5. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1655 tm13, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    And crapped out on my pick :(
    Oh well the Derek Cornelius signing pool has started so Jan 31st, 10:30 AM PST

FK Javour Ivanjica where he plays is 1st place in D2 so very good level, he's 21 and had 1855 minutes last year but only 270 this year (half way through the season) so a big drop off there, a Canadian so only a domestic spot.

Where does this rumour come from? The Province newspaper.
    https://theprovince.com/sports/socc...ire-canadian-international-cb-derek-cornelius

Of course the big questions are "when is his contract up" and "is he available on a free transfer"? Just looked it up on transfermarket and he is "without club" as of Jan 14, 2019 so that fits.

Damn, we could have an all Canadian CB setup.

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    is derek a free transfer ? he certainly is a strapping player, but i think we need a more dynamic, mature CB to team up with doneil henry- signing derek is more about developing a young canadian who can be on the MLS and international scenes for the next 4 years, at least

a good signing IMO... and it looks like more announcements wont come until january 31 to mid- february due to transfer windows in europe and MLS

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt shows him as a free transfer and just recently out of contract.

8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    As per the Caps web site:
    January 18, 2019 7:05AM PST - DC is signed
    January 18, 2019 1:00PM PST - Nick Dasovic for the U-23 team!!!

9. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    We're off the schneid in the player announcement pool!

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    11 WCs are Canadian, 8 are non-Canadian-- at least 9 openings to fill, but probably more like 11

BearcatSA repped this.
  11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I could see some more loans coming in to help fill this roster as opposed to new deal signings.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    a BIG shout-out to GlassCity for his foretelling tweeting prior to all the verifiable signings- he is the reporter we sorely need in vancouver- i just wonder who his mole source is inside the Caps

Element 7ero repped this.
  13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GC has been doing stuff since the entry to MLS. But this past few months since Carl has left has been a much higher volume of information than ever before which indicates a desire to make Carl look as useless as possible and promoting how awesome MDS is. The only constant in the Caps all this time who would have all this info and a desire to make Carl look bad, would be Bobby.

I assume it is Bobby's way of making news for the club before they can formally announce it. And to help repair the damaged image from the Carl era by getting the news out there that MDS is a mover and shaker.

That also would explain why GC alluded to the obscene number of international signings under Carl that had some connection to Baldwin only to stop talking about it shortly before Carl was sacked. That Bobby would say hey, we are firing him, so just let it go for now.

He also is not super critical and walks a bit of a line and is more of a news release guy. I look at him as the unofficial news feed directly from the club. He knows too much to be a reporter who is digging stuff up; he has a very significant relationship with someone in the club (whom I feel is Bobby)

There really is no other person in the organization who has been around all this time with that access other than Rachel. And as CFO I highly doubt she is investing time in leaking player info.

I also have seen words about and from GC that he has been involved in the BC scene for 30+ years so he would have nurtured these relationships for a long long time.

Element 7ero repped this.
  14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    interesting speculation- but i agree GC's mole is high up in the Whitecap hierarchy and the Caps dont seem to mind and might be fostering the release of info over twitter

15. GlassCity

GlassCity New Member

Jul 29, 2016
    I have no relationship with Lenarduzzi and the club is doing everything they can to silence my sources. If you ever have any questions feel free to message me on Twitter.

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1666 OldFan2015, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    :)

We are not here to give you a hard time GC. Whether we are right or wrong about your super source, keep up the good work. It keeps fans engaged and interested in the club.

The reason I feel it is Bobby is this:

- sources that will give you this much access take time to curate
    - sources with this much information will be high up in the office structure. My ticket rep would not have this much information
    - There have been regime changes with who is in charge of getting players, and you still have the sources; so by extension it should be someone who has been with the club for a long time and has high level access

Whether it is Bobby, Greg Anderson, Jeff Mallet, Rachel Lewis, a player agent, or a secret invisible person from the FO that has access to all emails, contract offers, phone calls, travel plans, etc; it is someone in a key position or at the very least an assistant to someone in a key position. At least , that is where it all points to.

And if I am wrong, you can be laughing at me as being a fool :)

Let's not worry about that . Thanks for all the work it keeps us engaged.

Cheers

17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    hey Old Fan-- i just hope you didnt close the Whitecap connection between GC and whomever is feeding him the inside news- GC is the best reporter we have

speculations like you offered might just have the opposite reaction to what we want

19. Element 7ero

Element 7ero Member

Nov 7, 2018
    A big thank you to you, regardless of who and where you are.

sincerely Caps (and MLS fans) all over.

20. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    dont be absurd

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i just dont want any of us on BSB to do anything that would hinder the flow of information- 100 % confirmed and valuable speculation- that GC offers us-

waiting for the so-called soccer newspaper writers to do anything provocative to offer anything more than reporting what the Club is feeding them is like waiting for the walking dead

i dont want the glass ceiling that we have to be damaged or muted - your comments, while offering a possibility- draws too much attention to GC and his insider connection

tm13 repped this.
  22. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...ondell-chilean-primera-divisi-n-huachipato-fc

“This loan will allow Anthony to grow as a player," said head coach Marc Dos Santos. “The timing of the loan is right not only for Anthony but also for where we are as a club, as we are looking to add two additional forwards to the roster. We will follow Anthony’s progression and at the end of the year we anticipate he will be better positioned for future success.”

I think the key word he didn't mention is the one that would have come after "success" at the end: elsewhere. They're probably hoping that Huachipato buys out his contract.

23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Crap. :(
    Not the loss to LAFC today but the injury to Levis. "Brett Levis was forced to exit the match in the ninth minute due to a right hamstring injury". I hope it isn't a serious pull.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if you have had a pulled hamstring, its one of the worst soccer injuries to recover from- minimum 2 weeks, maximum 8 weeks depending on whether it is a level 1, 2 or 3 strain/pull- plus 1-2 weeks of training time as you cant do any vigorous running or kicking during the healing- lots of massages and whirlpools, anti-inflammatories, ice, compression bandage

figure levis will be back by late march into mid april- opens the door for PC or sutter- LB is our weakest, leanest position-- go figure !!

25. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They will probably need a LB, toute de suite.