Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I've not been overly impressed with Shea but unlike some others he did contribute with some timely goals during his limited minutes. That said anyone at a DP salary who isn't playing every week as a starter is a waste so I'm not sad to see him go.

2. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Shea ate up way too much cap hit for him to be essentially a utility/swingman type. I thought that maybe, just maybe, playing for a new deal would make him play like his manbun was on fire but after his good start (coinciding with the team's good road start), things just fizzled out. At the right price, he could still be a good addition for a team as long as he shows that he's a good team guy and not a distraction.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    shea always distracted me- and frustrated me- with his laissez-faire play; i find it strange that a high quality, committed team like atlanta would take him unless they will be packaging him in a trade

he could have been so much more, but lacks(ed) the passion

4. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He reminds me of Issey Nakajima-Farran in that he has artistic interests and soccer isn't the be all/end all of his life.

He's coming to Atlanta from back to back stints at poor culture franchises, so coming to a winning culture and being a role player on a more realistic deal is what he needs.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I see that Ives Galarcep tweeted about the Shea moved: NOW official. Shea joins the champions. I’ve seen plenty of hand-wringing over the move but he’s coming for a fraction of his previous salary and he showed some very good signs in the final months of 2018.

I'm trying to figure out what the "good signs" were in the final months of last season? That he was no longer going to be a on DP deal?

6. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A lot of the knocks on him was salary V contribution. At 200k and a spot starter and bench player, I see no issue with any team giving him a spot.

This is a salary Cap league ,teams still need a few guys at that 200k and below level that have MLS experience under their belt to fill in when needed.

And considering the millions of precious salary cap dollars Carl flushed ; Shea was not the biggest problem on our club; not even close. If Carl didn't trigger the 2018 contract, and had that money available, his track record strongly suggests it would have been spent on another player connected to his agent pipeline that would disappoint us.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    SIGH... have to agree with you-- will be interesting to see what atlanta is paying him and for how long

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They signed him to a 1 year contract. Probably an option year but not sure. Won't know how much until MLS player salaries are released. I think it could be a good situation for him although mostly as a bench option.

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    We will have to wait for the players union report but that shouldn't be too long. Let's start a pool.
    $700k, $600k, $500k, $400k and now for the reasonable ones
    $300K - Me here
    $200k -

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    $225K, one year deal. Used as a wingback rather than a fullback. Gets rid of the manbun.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to say $255k for Shea. 1 yr deal usually requires a little $ premium for someone his age.

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    It really don't care what happens with Shea's career. How about we do a pool to predict which date will feature the first new player signing of this new calendar year. Will it be before or after the MLS draft next Friday? I'm going with after.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    A bit low. Very likely. LMAO
    :)

14. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    After? That is bound to win out. It is so likely. No no no. You must pick a date! Let me show you how it's done :)

Not counting draft picks when will the Whitecaps sign a new player?
    17Jan2019 10:30 AM PST - My pick

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    monday, january 15, 2019, 2:09 pm PST

16. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Okay, you smart guys, I'll be more specific:

Tuesday, January 15, 10:01 AM presser PST, and two players will be announced at the same time! I'm doubling down!

tm13 repped this.
  17. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Here's a fun story about Shea from draft combines past:

Ives Galarcep‏Verified account @SoccerByIves 23h23 hours ago

Ives Galarcep Retweeted Scott Howerton

One of my favorite all-time MLS Combine memories was watching Ruud Gullit roll into the MLS Combine and proceed to watch one of the worst halves ever played at the Combine (which included about 10 Brek Shea crosses to the goalkeeper). He literally got up and left at halftime https://twitter.com/ScottHowerton/status/1081232213268668416 …

18. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Not much buzz happening right now. Are the season tickets still available for 7.9 % off?

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    some buzz needs to happen soon- the supporters have given the Caps a life-line of being patient, but should there be little to no significant delivery come the start of the season, the apathy and disgust will magnify- signing marginal players with little pedigree to bring hope and entertainment value will not cut it- we have been down that road before and we all know where that ends

the next 2-3 weeks are crucial and its soon time for MDS and the FO to start delivering and i dont mean USL players and other team rejects

still pondering how juarez and blondell will still be here come training camp- and even more boggling is that some Cap supporters believe that blondell should be a starter

getting antsy

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can MDS recruit? We will see. It isn’t easy to get players who have other options. But, for now he has the luxury of this being a multi-season process for building the roster. Which probably means there will be a number of placeholder type players signed for the beginning of this season.

BearcatSA repped this.
  21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    CB Brendan McDonough picked with the 35th selection at the 2019 draft. Our only pick this year.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if other MLS teams can sign significant players, then we should also be able to- world class city city and great supporters and good stadium, albeit with turf- its a world-wide market with thousands of players available - and all it takes is will, selling the Club and -- OF COURSE-- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$- they need to sign 11 players and- if we believe the FO and owners- MDS has upwards of $11 mill USD )... thats's $1 mill/player- and he needs to start delivering by training camp in 2 weeks

as i predicted last february that the Caps would NOT make the playoffs, at this point, we are a bottom feeder team and a long way from the playoffs

23. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    So true. I can see a fair number of guys signed for this season and then be gone by next.

I'm still hoping that my new player(s) signing prediction for Tuesday still holds true!

24. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I'd also add that another (very) minor luxury (for now, at least) is the hype around the 40th anniversary NASL championship. It provides a little bit of a rodeo clown distraction from the possible angry bull of a crappy rebuilding season. Not much, granted, but still something. If the team is pretty mediocre I can see the media reps Chip Diller-ing that narrative as much as possible.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  25. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Well, your prediction is still on target. Mine crashed and burned today.