Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    You, me, oldfan and everyone else old enough to remember.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    DC goalie and former Cap, david ousted is looking to be traded as Bill Hamid is DC's 1st choice-- DC said that several MLS teams are sniffing around-- the Caps need another goalie, someone with experience who could mentor some promising young canadian talent

would you like to see david back in Vancouver ? he had some good years here but was treated shamelessly near the end of 2017

its an option for MDS

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. He is overrated and over paid. Soft goalie.

4. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Chris is being harsh! But at his current wage, age, and level of performance; I would not have him back. His best years are behind him; he still has a lot of value in MLS, but this team is on a complete rebuild so we should look for younger keepers with better salary cap numbers. I am in agreement with the idea if they can get a Canadian keeper so an extra international spot is opened up for the rest of the roster.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I think this is likely to happen, so a guy like Crepeau may get acquired from the Impact for that purpose. However, I really think keeper, along with the rest of the positions in this renovation project of a team, might be transitional guys/placeholders until a key fitting piece is able to be brought in in the coming transfer window(s). MDS has implied about needing two or three transfer windows to make things happen. That's fair enough for that stretch of time, at least.

The team needs to move on from Onstad, detinitely. I've never been sold on Crepeau's abilities regardless of how he did in USL last season.

Speaking of ex-Caps keepers, I wonder if Marinovic ends up in Colorado with his former NT manager Anthony Hudson and becomes a possible successor to Tim Howard (granted, it might be Hudson's last season in Colorado if they continue their poor to mediocre ways in their rebuild following the Mastroeni era).

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    MDS must have something in mind for keeper or they would have kept Ritchey who was the most played of the bunch in the system and had a great USL season with FC Cincinnati. By the way he said "domestic" not Canadian so he will be casting his net wider than just Canadian keepers.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I will admit to being maybe a bit harsher than Ousted deserves. Just things I observed over the last couple years he was at Vancouver and a few games with DC. Anyway, his salary and age alone I believe rules him out. Having said that, finding a suitable #1 keeper is not an easy proposition. You don't want to overpay for a keeper in MLS but whoever is in between the posts needs to have the confidence of the team or it can get ugly quickly.

BearcatSA repped this.
  8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it wouldnt surprise any of us to see richey stay with the new cincy franchise and the Caps get something back in return- a deal has been cut and its why the Caps didnt pick up his option years

9. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    That's true. They might get another Evan Bush-like performer, a former American NASLer who has proven to have the chops to be a solid MLS starter.

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The guy starting regularly for SKC is a former MLS pool keeper. But having a very solid back line in front of him helps a ton, too. Having a settled and solid CB situation in Vancouver, especially if Waston indeed departs, is crucial. Even with Waston here, this team gave up way too many goals.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    for the non-knowledgeable soccer nerds who said tim parker was not a valuable defender, RBNY just signed him to a 3 year contract at $802 000 per season

RBNY recognize his value and the Bulls went to # 1 on defence in MLS for 2018 while vancouver plumetted to near the bottom

i dont see MDS making the same idiotic mistake which i said it was when parker was traded in the off-season

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, if you are referring to me, I never said he was non-valuable but you have interesting narratives. . I like Tim a lot from first season he played with Vancouver. Congratulations to him and his agent on getting a great contract. But, he was never going to get that kind of contract at Vancouver when Waston was around. Plus, I’m pretty sure Tim wanting to get back to his home and family in NY is a huge bonus. Had to be nerve wracking for him to run his contract down to the last weeks as an injury could blow up everything.

Anyway, maybe Caps should look at Tim’s CB partner, Aaron Long who was voted MLS defensive player of the year.l (not saying he was better than Tim although he was also getting USMNT call-ups ahead of Tim last year, fwiw.) He is making $75k/yr and his contract expires end of 2019. Solid CB and handles the ball well. Not sure if NYRB can sign him to a similar contract as Tim with the cap and all. Can’t imagine playing the season at $75k/yr would go over well with Long but that is the nature of MLS. Getting a player who has proven able to handle the “uniqueness” of MLS can be a safer pick than a Euro or SA player who looks more talented but is new to the league.

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    not referring to you at all- i have enjoyed our banter- you add to my knowledge whether we agree or disagree

i am kind of amazed that RBNY would pay over $800 000 per season over 3 years- its astounding money for a CB in MLS- but we need to remember that tim was only paid $115 000 for 2018, a paltry sum for his talent- both sides have come out a winner- i figure that tim had significant offers from europe and that became a lever to get the contract- why ruin a solid defence (#1 in MLS) for $200 000/season?

parker has proven his worth with both the Caps and RBNY- its no coincidence that both teams were successful defensively when he was in their lineups

surely, MDS has to add 2 CBs s to the team as all we have is doneil henry, an average, sometimes good, CB- 1 new CB will have to be a DP, a leader on defence with solid experience and the ability to quickly and effectively move the ball to initiate a counter-attack vertically and sometimes get involved at attacking the opponent's goal

after dealing with juarez (helping him pack his bags) and techera (what can we get by selling him), we can expect a DP signing at CB and other defensive help

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comment in this article about Tim and that MLS may have been blocking clubs from trying to sign him to this type of contract. Obviously, TAM was needed but MLS might be concerned about the ripple effect on other salaries. Great work by Tim and his agent. MLS is an unusual league when it comes to building a roster although TAM is loosening things up.

https://www.onceametro.com/2018/12/...of-tim-parker-contract-new-york-red-bulls-mls

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    One of those two could be a league vet (maybe a guy like Ike Opara from KC?), while the other could be a guy familiar with league and returning home (Geoff Cameron?). Those are players I would target. As ChrisSSBB points out, getting a Euro or SA guy who would be new to the league might have more of breaking in/settling in period.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two interesting choices. Opara has been very good last two years but had horrendous injury history before that. Caps would need to assess how confident that they are he can withstand playing regularly on turf. If he stays healthy, would definitely be a good pick-up.

Cameron's contract with Stoke goes through June 2020 (now on loan to QPR) so may be tough to bring back for a reasonable salary. I'm sure Stoke would love to get him off their payroll as I doubt QPR is paying all of it. Maybe a loan deal could be worked out in summer?

BearcatSA repped this.
  17. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    A loan would be possible, or perhaps club and player can agree to a mutual termination. With Opara, coming to a Pacific Northwest turf might not be what he wants but he looks to be on the move somewhere else in MLS this season.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    besides some small tinkering for depth (like a trading with hurtado involved, i see MDS adding players outside MLS- remembering he has upwards of $ 12-13 mill USD to add some real quality

19. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I still see no indication as to what number the Caps owners are going to pay out of their own wallets. Your number would require 4 - 5 million from them, I am not convinced that will happen

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if the owners go cheap with $2-3 mill and keep the remaining $10-11 mill from the davies transfer, the supporters will be royally PISSED, myself included- i believe they have already received the initial $13 mill from bayern

i still believe they will give MDS $4-5 mill for 2019 which some might not be spent until june-july; with money from released players' salaries, the MLS pots of gold and the owners', MDS should have in the $13-14 mill range for his team which should put them in the top 6 in MLS

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The general fans will not be upset if the team looks good in the standings. So, the Caps may hold as much back as they can and only use it if the market turns on them. Right now MDS will have tons of good will and with the vast majority of the players gone, he will have a huge clean slate.

They will do something by march, but i bet it wont be more than 2 million from owners under the guise of "waiting for summer" and they will see if they have to or not. If the Caps are doing well, they won't spend more.

22. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    MDS has implied that he needs three transfer windows to get the personnel in place, so apart from a couple of key signings, I expect to see more action during the summer windows when more Euro based guys are on the move. Right now, they really need to get the CB situation sorted out.

By opening day, 2020, I think you'll see very few Robbo regular squad member holdovers, including domestic/Cancon . I've joked about how this team under Robbo should have been shirt sponsored by BCLC, but I know they should change to HGTV because of this massive renovation taking place.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Brek Shea is probably going to sign with atlanta- some people are born with golden horseshoes up their arses... and he is one of them

after 4 seasons at over $700 K, it will be interesting to see what his new contract is- anything more than $200 K would be an overpayment IMO

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will get paid in that range, probably a little more although a short contract with option year(s). Carlos Bocanegra is the GM at Atlanta and a former USMNT team mate of Shea's. He is well aware of Brek's strengths and weaknesses so won't be going into this expecting the world. On a team like Atlanta, Shea can be a nice option to come off the bench on the wing. Atlanta has a lot of players in the middle that the opposition needs to pay attention to so that will give Brek space to run into.