Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1551 tm13, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    As overpaid as Shea is he has delivered with his time on the field, albeit sporadically. 3 goals & 2 assists in 1300 minutes is not bad. Especially when he spends half his time at LB. A DP? Hell no. At half or less his salary? Sure because he is good coverage, a notch above journeyman player level.

I don't think he'll be back. He will get more money from some US based team like San Jose. Not a big loss and replaceable for much less.

I don't see any Canucks in our system ready to take over the LM role being vacated by Davies. Not even close and that is what we need. Who did you have in mind for a young Canadian? The only one I think we'll see is Bair and he plays forward.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i didnt presume that a young canadian would take over for davies- we all know that is IMPOSSIBLE-

but i was making a statement that a young canadian could be a sub insertion, much like shea was- i just dont think that MDS will want brek

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Last year he started off slowly, especially with doing defensive diligence, got injured, took awhile to get back into a groove but became a much harder working, two way player at the end of the season and into the playoffs. At this point of the season, however, I get the sense that he realizes his time here is up. There's too much low percentage, loose play with passes, leading to some poor and at times ludicrous giveaways (remember the unpressured first time volley he totally mishit for a cross field pass to no one and into touch in the Caps end?). I wouldn't be keeping him at any price. Time to move on to another journeyman type of guy who would be a role player here. Better off even to have Levis and De Jong moved up onto the left side of midfield in Shea's place.

If MDS is proclaimed the new Messiah here, then I am hoping that he can find a way to pry Mark-Anthony Kaye away from LAFC to join him. The young Colombian who has been filling in as his replacement, Atuesta, might be the guy Bradley feels should be the key guy there for next season. Here's hoping.

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'd be oKaye with that .... sorry I couldn't resist :)

BearcatSA repped this.
  5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    You knocked it out of the park, tiger!

MDS might also give his former San Fran player Kyle Bekker another MLS shot, but if he does, he'll make Bekker the number one go-to as the fans' whipping boy.

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well a 2-2 draw in LA against LAFC any other time would be a good result. It isn't enough to keep our playoff hopes alive so we are out (clubbed on the head while saying "I feel happy" for you Python fans). One game to go and then it is bye bye to Davies. Now those are some cleats to fill.

I do like Teibert not being one of the 2 DMs in the 4-2-3-1 but having him farther up field in a 4-1-4-1 suits his skills way better. He is not a DM. Gets pushed off the ball too much and over runs plays. Up with the attackers his passing and buzzing around does create some openings for himself and his teammates. His pestering back check routine still works. Ghazal's passing is abysmal. Good bye I hope.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, robo has stuck it to the Whitecap owners and FO- he has told the media that Marc Dos Santos has been signed as the new head coach

classless act by a coach that rode the PR spin coat-tail for 5 years because of his rhetoric jabber that most people let him get away with- he did a few good things as coach, but most of it is a history of terrible signings and wasted millions on ridiculous non-MLS players

and if kendall waston wants to leave because of the firing, c'est la vie! as he wont find a better place to raise his family- at least i wont have to see him raise his hands to the SKY GOD, hoping His favor will make the Caps win- it didnt work very well this year, but i figure God has better things to do than listen to kendall's mumblings - nothing wrong with faith, but expecting some intervention by God in a sport is pure folly IMO

8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Where did you read that potato? I searched but couldn't find it. If true well classless yes but great news for us.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    https://twitter.com/GlassCityFC

apparently robo has had some discussions with MDS already- if i were MDS, i would do the opposite with what robo recommends with players- who to keep and who to release

MDS has a great resume in NA soccer at all levels, is now an assistant coach at LAFC and is canadian to boot so he should be on the same page with developing young talented canadians and working with the national teams/CSA- he is a proven winner
    i wonder if a canadian coach like colin miller could be an assistant ?

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He'll probably have his brother as part of the coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dalrymple remain in one of the other coaching roles with the senior team.

A "goalkeeper whisperer" coach is necessary here if the team stands pat with their keeper situation.

11. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1561 tm13, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Uh dude that link is just somebody claiming to be a member of the Southsider supporters group saying he talked to Robbo .... Not saying it didn't happen but that is pretty skimpy.

Discussions between MDS & Robbo? Well maybe but there is nothing out of the ordinary with incoming and outgoing coaches exchanging pleasantries and opinions about players.

And NO, NO, HELL NO to Colin Miller. He is old school "get stuck in" tough guy type who the game has passed by long long ago. I did not like him with the Caps, CMNT or Edmonton.

Now back to where we agree. Not only does MDS have a great resume in North America he had success in Brazil with youth sides. The fact that the godfather of American soccer wanted him as an assistant is very telling. Let's face it, Bradley could have had anyone and he chose MDS. He wasn't just an assistant coach on LAFC, he was an assistant coach to Bob Bradley.

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    That was quite the end of season presser today! All the locker room issues. Ironic that this year they chose to wear the "Unity" kit.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I listened to it in full. I don't think we have been top 1/3rd spending like the Duze said but we have been top half and here's hoping it isn't wasted in the future. We'll see how much they can clear up for the new coach and how much he is stuck with for next year shortly.

No surprise that the coach gets final say in player decisions. I can't see any other way of doing it to be honest. Any coach worthy of the title would refuse the job if he didn't get that. If we can develop a pipeline like NYRB, SKC & Dallas that would be great. Davies might be one in a generation or the first of many.

Very ironic indeed.

14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I wonder if promoting academy developed players will become more of priority here going forward?

15. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1565 OldFan2015, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    what we all suspected

disgraceful t eam built by Carl

Teibert and Henry lay it out, Juarez an utter disgrace calling them cowards after he ripped off the club this year. Talks about working hard when he COULDNT EVEN MAKE THE GAME DAY 18 WITH HIS 600 K SALARY.

Waston a crying baby calling people two faced? What the hell? So much for his corny prayer ceremony on the pitch each match. The locker room was a mess, he is not a good Captain. Bye Bye.

They can all ******** off. Let's start over. This is an expansion club as far as I am concerned and MDS is the man to start it up.

Carl was making shit soup from day one. Bobby should be ashamed for accepting a C - student for so long. Carl was not held accountable and the market was snake charmed by his smooth voice (UK accent = soccer expert to a lot of people). Baldwin's control over Carl destroyed this club.

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    OUCH!!

colin miller- well if you dont like him, do you have another canadian coach who would be an asset as an assistant ?

but for continuity sake, i think promoting craig dalrymple might be the right choice

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    worth the read if you havent read it yet: by JJ Adams of the Province

https://theprovince.com/sports/socc...whitecaps-organization-needs-wholesale-change

things to note:

1. are we surprised??

Robinson had carte blanche to bring in the players he wanted — under a certain salary cap — and the team had a cosy relationship with agent David Baldwin, now of Avid Sports and Entertainment group. The team reportedly terminated its relationship with Baldwin, and someone running Avid’s social media account was getting into it Wednesday with Whitecaps supporters on Twitter.

Ok. You were on the Whitecaps payroll and represented players on the roster at the same time. Some might call that a conflict of interest. Truth? https://t.co/xENVTyX8A4

— (@GlassCityFC) October 31, 2018

2. a significant change- Lenarduzzi is going to be more hands-on with player recruiting- it should have happened 4 years ago- his arse is on the line in 2019

QUOTE- While the new manager will still have complete control of his roster, and any network of agents he has will be welcomed, he will also get support from an expanded internal recruiting side.

3. I agree:

QUOTE: But with the money available from Davies’s transfer, in addition to the international roster spot and salary space left by the inevitable selling of Kendall Waston, the team can afford to rebuild a quality roster under the new manager. They just have to learn from their past lessons.

and i will add, money from players not being resigned, like brek shea and most of the16 other option-year players, plus the buying out of juarez's contract, the new head coach will have millions of MLS salary pots of money more at his disposal; only kamara and 5-6 others should be resigned- add $5-6 mill USD from the davies transfer pot and the new head coach can turn heads with his new signees

4. JJ Adams is right- done smartly, i believe the Caps can be a top 6 finisher in 2019 in the West Conference- its MLS so anything is possible

5. gotta get it right- goalie, 2 CBs, 1-2 R-sided defender another high quality MF and some dangerous speed upfront- and i am assuming that both reyna and kamara are resigned (and yordy is iffy if he has been a locker room disturber)

6. its like shopping with a loaded Visa card- lets see what MDS brings home for us

CoronaOrange repped this.
  18. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    He mentions a goalie and a pair of CBs but no mention of a proper DM? Weak on the writers part. While I agree on a lot of what he's said Marinovic, Waston & Henry are very capable. Waston may or may not be around but that trio is solid. Not as good as when Parker and Ousted were here but solid. The huge gap IMHO has been the vacancy left by Laba's departure. Nobody we've tried is even close.

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Why does it have to be a Canadian? Why not just get the best possible regardless of origin? Sure I like the idea of MDS being a fellow Canuck but he'd be at the front of my line regardless. I didn't think he would be available initially but when he was given permission to discuss with other clubs he went to the head of my list. Not because he is a Canadian, that is just icing on the cake, but because he has got impressive results everywhere, at all levels from U15/17 to D2 to assistant with LAFC.

He is good enough to be first choice for assistant to the godfather of US soccer, Bob Bradley, and that is one hell of a notch on the resume!

My issue with Colin Miller is that his whole approach is so typical of the old school tough guy soccer that it is sad and pathetic. The game passed them by decades ago. My dad's side of the family is Scottish heritage so I say this with sadness but it has been that very typical attitude that has lead Scotland to be a third rate soccer country.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ITS MARC DOS SANTOS TIME .... LAFC lost to RSL

this is going to be an interesting month or 2- lots of happenings with new assisatnt coaches, players being picked up on an option, some not, 1 contract player being bought out, 1 player being sold

lots of drama

then january will be a time of new players coming in and a few will be DP splashes

i am excited- another year of robo coaching would have done me in

21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I brought up a lot of the Baldwin stuff and revealed more than our dear glass city , FYI. It was an awful relationship and was a cancer to the team. Thankfully it is over.

Most of carls international signings were either Baldwin clients or referrals from Baldwin's associates at his former company or people who started their own agency. Baldwin was our chief scout when you get down to it. The problem was, he all too often used that position to get guys jobs as favors for other agents or for his own clients. Who knows if Carl got any side benefits for all of this, but that would not be a shock.

Marvin Emnes was about as blatant as it came. he was never going to make the club, it was David Baldwin doing a solid for an agent friend of his and finding his unemployed client a paycheck. No, it didnt harm the Caps as it was part of the salary cap, but the principles behind it were a complete abuse of the system.

But, if you build any business on a weak foundation, protected with cliche and fluffy words, and some hidden darkness, it eventually implodes .Year 5 was the year it did for Carl and David.

My only critique of Mr Glass City, is he made one tweet about the percent from the Baldwin line, and then shut it down. Didnt' say much after that. And now that Carl is gone and the team has imploded, he is open about it and trolling Baldwin on twitter. I guess he didn't want to burn his bridges with his sources and media pass with the Caps FO, but is safe now as it is time to kick sand on Carl.

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I would not have got my season tickets for next year if Carl came back. Just imagine another 10 -12 players out and more busts coming in. I would have been down to a 5 game thing with the Cascadia matches and a couple of others. Which made me sad when i have had tickets since my childhood.

So, I am very pumped up about next year. MDS will have a lot of salary cap room if he wisely declines most of the options, dumps Juarez, etc. He will have some Davies money for better DPS (how much remains to be seen), and should have some money from a Waston sale (especially if it is China, those guys over pay often).

He can build a squad almost from scratch, with a significant amount of money to do it with. He could be in a significant position for his 2nd season once he can dump the rest of the underperforming contracts like Blondell. Its quite amazing that so many contracts are up this season, the Davies money, all are converging at once.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its like the soccer gods have determined its time for the Whitecaps to become the team and club that the market deserves... and the fear from lenarduzzi that if structural and visionary plans dont change, then his arse will be seen heading down the highway

its time to make an elite MLS team a possibility and it starts with the new coach with a shit-load of money and the power to decide who stays, who hits the door on the way-out and who he brings in- a very enviable place to be IMO

24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    It was probably THE reason they dumped Carl when they did. Do you keep him for another year and let him clean house yet again? He's going to clean house anyway because that is what he's done every season for the last 3. Or do you just include him in the house cleaning first and let a new coach "bring out your dead"? :)

He had 5 years, had the best road record in MLS for 3 years, average at home, very basic 4-5-1, missed the playoffs twice and way too many repeated bad signings. Pretty much the good, the bad and the ugly in those 1/3rd percentages.

I too am anxious to see who the new coach is and am already excited for next year.

25. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    That's what did him in this time. The Duze even said it before the Tuesday Morning Massacre: too much money on the bench.

I had enough of the spaghetti chucking/see-what-sticks fourmula a long time ago. He should have been gone at the end of last season, imo, but too many people were still justifying his vision. He did a few good things, I don't deny, especially with handling Davies in the second half of last season. But I think he just ran out of ideas this year and the dysfunction in the dressing pointed to a lack of leadership with inmates running the asylum.

Robbo will reflect and learn from his experience. I'm just curious where he'll land next.