Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Shea $ on 3/4 of a million dollars, regardless of the allocation smoke and mirrors. I think a third of this would be more than generous.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    even that is too much money- you cant have a player drifting in and out as a professional- you need part-time players- like a hurtado- who will give you their best, 100%
    sadly, its been shea's mantra and its time in november for him to move on

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The match against Portland is the kind of fixture which the Caps seem to be able to get results from. I'm going out on a limb and predicting a big victory here.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    that's quite a limb!! hope it doesnt SNAP

if robo goes with juarez instead of teibert, he again is giving us all his proverbial middle finger; and if he goes with blondell as a sub over hurtado, he is giving us the double middle finger

at best, we get a tie, but i have to go with a Timber win- now onto the game!

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Well, I got one prediction right...finally!

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Damn good call there! 2-1 over Portscum is great. In their own building is sweet. Ending their 15 game unbeaten streak is icing on the cake.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you are the genius... for tonight-

terrific team effort and some luck

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    its always special to win vs portland and seattle- such a long history

9. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They got jobbed on the second penalty call and then the non-call with Shea but they put in a great effort last night.

Portland's tried to walk it in without doing enough off the ball movement to create misdirection. When the balls were played into stationary central players, the Caps' defenders simply stepped in and clear.

None of these high-standing MLS teams are as good as they are made out to be, imo. By the same token, the Caps will probably play at home to San Jose in a couple of weeks and sh*t the bed.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And therein lies the truth. We play very well against strong teams most weeks but then drop point s to the teams below us. You can't do that. You've got to take max points off the weaker teams or you are one.

As it sits Vancouver & Seattle are hoping that RSL falters

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Shea is fine on 200k under a salary cap of this size. There would be no problems with him if that is where he was already. I would not object to keeping him at that rate, but there is a lot of heat for his salary this year so he should go elsewhere for a fresh start.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    CAN IT BE TRUE?????????????????????????

JJ adams report comment:

There have been several reports of Robinson’s staff not having their contracts renewed, which doesn’t bode well for his future as head coach. When asked about it on field after the game by TSN’s Kristian Jack, Caps’ midfielder Russell Teibert said “we’re playing for our jobs.”

the pressure is on to make the playoffs which IMO is a low bar, but partially understandable what with all the wasted money on the constant turnstile of players

and the supporters grumbling... like us

while i would endorse the coaching changes, would the owners look to upping the salary ante to field a more competitive team with a more experienced and wiser coaching team ?

any1 know if this has legs??

13. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    can we assume the coaching changes would include robo ??
    it has to, doesnt it !!?? he wouldnt throw them under the bus and keep on the bus himself- i just dont see that happening

where the heck did this rumor come from ??

14. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Carl should have been sacked long ago, but he is here and I don't see a sacking at least until the off season. But then who replaces him? Any coach that is legit upgrade will not passively accept the club's budget of only using MLS monies on their salaries (give or take a 100 grand).

This all starts at the top, but their operational beliefs are going to be the last to change. Carl is well below average at his choices of players to use the salary cap and MLS monies on. So many over his tenure vastly under perform the contract they are given. So, before we call for the owners to buck up, we need a person who can spend it well. Carl is terrible at that.

I was tired of him 3 years ago; I do hope he is sacked. But again, we may not get much different results if they just get in another guy at Carl's level. Colin Miller is stilling right here in the area and would do better than Carl at the same price, why not?

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I could see the logic in moving a speciality coach, like a keeper coach, for instance, but moving assistants and expecting a significant change in playing philosophy? That's just p.r. spin.

What's happening with John Park, the vaunted Celtic super scout? If Robbo's relying on him, then they're both striking out, popping out, or grounding out (to use baseball lingo) with their player selections.

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you, old fan, tm13 and a few others on this forum and a few on the SS forum would have had more success in scouting and signing non-MLS players- when ibini left 2 weeks ago, the turn-over since 2014 has been an ASTONISHING 58 players... and we can expect another 7-8 gone in the off-season- the Caps' owners have seen millions spent/wasted on players that just are not up to the grade of MLS quality

a team cant develop if its loosing 1/2 half of its roster every year because of poor signings

17. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    We should have a pool to see how many guys will be turned over in the off season. I'm guessing 8, including Blondell, who some supposed insiders say can't be moved because of his contract length.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    unfortunately, blondell- who cost the Caps a reported $1 mill USD to sign- will enter his 2 year contract in 2019, so i dont see the Caps getting rid of him- which they should do- unless his former club wants him back

19. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    what a silly signing that was.

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Starting with today's home game, these next three fixtures make or break this season. I know the club will play hard and stick to whatever game plan the coaching staff puts in place, so showing the cliched 110% effort vs NYRB and getting the full three (or even one point) is the first step. However, they can't get less than 4 points in the back-to-back SJ matches. If they sh*t the bed there, it's over. And these are the "fine lines" situations where a stupid red or typical dodgy MLS reffing decision comes into play even more acutely. And if that happens, and Robbo (or team shill Schaad doing the pbp) are saying that the club's season has been pissed away by lousy reffing, if I was an owner I'd be asking, "But how did the club get to this point in the first place, after five years?"

With that, I could see them getting all nine points in this stretch, I really do. Let's see how they do this evening.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: JJ Adams sports writer... and the best one we have had for the Whitecaps- well-informed, does some research and doesnt shy away from saying what needs to be said

https://theprovince.com/sports/socc...d-on-defence-since-losing-parker-to-red-bulls

Quote:This year, the Parker-less Whitecaps (9-9-6) — who dealt him to New York in exchange for Felipe and $500,000 in targeted allocation money in February

IMO, the trading of parker had nothing to do with giving him a salary increase- it had everything to do with getting the $500 000 in TAM which allowed them to buy down the contracts of players like juarez, ghazal and kamara

which means that the owners had to put out little or no money on players' salaries

alloted salary from MLS= $8.2 mill USD; Whitecap salaries= $8.2 mill USD

its not rocket science to see the owners' philosophy for running the club

ITS THE USUAL-- WE ARE NOT GOING TO OPEN OUR LARGE-SIZED WALLETS BEYOND THE ALLOTED MLS SALARY CAP

and its one of the main reasons why i am NOT renewing my STs after 40 years

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    trading parker made the Whitecaps about $800 000 USD-- his salary ( between doneil henry, the new CB) plus the TAM

23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I'm of the opinion that they better take all 6. I mean seriously San Jose are at 0.71 PPG 3/4s of the way through the season and DEAD LAST in the entire league. If you can't take 6 out of 6 off that bunch then yea it is over for this year.

24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1474 OldFan2015, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Well, the newspaper Province, ran a story on Peter's resignation. They story was pretty bare bones but this is the first time a major media outlet has said anything on this issue.

From all accounts he was a dedicated man, who cared, and worked hard in the name of supporting the Caps. I find it rather sad that a good man had to resign because the rest of the board refused to ever speak or follow up on that statement again. I guess they would rather maintain a code of silence and lose a quality man from their group.

Hard to fathom it went that far without anyone in leadership dealing with it. Now they pretty much have a joke of an executive and I would think the membership will clean that up at the AGM. While I have some concerns about how they do things (especially the attitude that you are only a real supporter if you are part of a supporters group and send them money) , they are at the core people who want to see this club succeed and provide a lot of work and effort towards that goal. The Caps also treat them poorly (as the Caps do with most things these days), which makes it more difficult and they still show up game after game. I hope they can get past this with completely new leadership next year. While I am quite aware of Kendall's personal faith, and I am not in support of it (that is no secret ), this was a farce from the beginning and never should have happened. They tried to play in the serious leagues and when it got hot they all ran and hid.

I have been a paid member with the SS a few times, and my dad and I spent our last few seasons at Swangard behind the goal with our beer and donair (times that I miss deeply, the southside was a lot of good times back in those days).. So, I do have a hope they succeed even if I have objections to how they are run and some of their practices.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you say things very smartly and offer refreshing points of view

wish you were my son