Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised MLS would even wanti to talk to Besiitkas after the Larin fiasco. Also agree that they are a club that does not spend much on transfer fees.

Would hate to see him go but it is important for his development to go to a better league. Ages 16-20 are very important in the tactical development of a player and MLS is not the most tactically sophisticated league.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    do you remember the naive supporter twits who said that kekuta manneh would bring the euro riches to his feet and the whitecaps a lot of transfer money? i- and i believe old fan also- said that manneh was a weak, unskillful, over-hyped player and would never make it big-time in europe--- we were both mocked- which is not unusual for the Southside group-- now of course, we are both right- manneh will eventually go the way of adu

davies, on the other hand, will go much bigger - he has rocket feet, ambition, courage, a very competitive spirit, great parents, wisely listens and develops from his coaches and all-in-all is a very nice young man- his potential is much higher than MLS

we soccer lovers will all miss the KID, but does any whitecap true fan miss manneh?? hopefully we can catch davies on the telly with some notable euro club and say we saw him in his developing years-- and of course, for Team Canada

there is no way in hell that owners kerfoot and his ownership group will ever turn down big bucks for a 2019 selling- and anyways, Phonsie has to go onto bigger turf

its been a long time since i have this excited about a young talent playing in vancouver and sad to say, it might not happen again for a long time

3. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I don't know. If the Caps keep him one more year and he keeps rocking it the value will only be higher. I think it really comes down to what level of comfort Alphonso has moving away from friends and family at this stage. Keep reminding yourself that he is only 17 :)

And to be bluntly honest I think he will do better than a Turkish club.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    after some reflecting, i agree that davies will hopefully land in a western euro league like england, france, spain or holland, someplace where he will be challenged to continue to develop- he has made lightning quick progress since 2016-- but he must have chances to prove himself as some teams/leagues have a bias against anything from across the pond and especially from canada; and i would like him to be in a league that honors skill above grit

after watching england's raheem sterling, i think the KID can be an even better player and playing in turkey limits his horizons

i just dont think the writing on the wall is for alphonso to stay with the Caps for 2019... unless he and his parents want him to have 1 more year of maturing into a man that can adapt and flourish leaving the nest

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^I see more potential in Davies than where Sterling was as a teenager. In saying that, Sterling was in a much better development environment that Whitecaps FC. So, if Davies wants to reach his heights, he does need to get somewhere else soon.

6. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well that sucked. Both Davies and Techera were poor in the first half and in difficult conditions the team that passes better (and that isn't us most days and certainly NOT TODAY) does better.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-4-2 didn't work. Philadelphia plays a 4-2-3-1 so the Caps CM's were outnumbered and allowed Philly to just pass to their hearts content and win the ball higher up the pitch. No formation is a sure cure as each one has strengths and weaknesses.

8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    They also had no legs, which was very evident today. The travel excuse (given by Dunfield at halftime) shouldn't have applied for this fixture because they could have arrived a day earlier; it wasn't like they were playing midweek. This was a good chance to poach all the points but they made these guys look Real Madrid and Philly let the ball do the work.

Lots of poor performances today. Is Robbo going to still persist with Shea at LB for the Canada Day game?

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^Traveling cross country does take something out of you, particularly with peak althletic performance. If you travel a day early, there is still the disruption of 3 hr time difference with sleep, meals, etc. But, I agree that it would probably be better to get there a day early. MLS is a tough league from the standpoint of travel. As it stands now this season, home teams in MLS avg 1.81 pts/game while away teams avg .97 pts/game. Caps were an exception in some years past but I suspect they will revert to the mean.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I still don't know why MLS doesn't allow business class for flights over 4 hours. That and they could let the team with the most travel have more charter flights rather than just 4.

In a few years it will be a moot point as the playoffs will be the only inter-conference games as expansion moves closer to a home and home against your conference of 34 games or so.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    vancouver should be given some extra benefits regarding traveling- being in a canadian market, i dont think that will happen

12. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    10 out of the top 11 travelling teams are in the west. Only Orlando travels anywhere near as much.

13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Let me ask you this

If the MLS did allow teams to fly business class as an option, do you think the Caps would invest in that expense?

14. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yes. It is minor compared to anything else.

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    noway that greg kerfoot puts any extra cost in air travel- he's an owner MIA and i think he has lost interest in the whitecaps
    i can only hope that he and the other owners (all 4 are MIA) sell to a more ambitious owner, but with extra expansion money coming, its hard to see that happening

16. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    CONGRATS TO KENDALL WASTON on his goal in the WC- i wonder why he was not a starter in the first 2 games

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yea I was watching CR just to see him and they didn't start him. Very strange choice by their coach. At least he got in a game and got a goal. His legend continues to grow :)

18. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I must admit I am not studied on the current crop of Costa Rican CB's, but it did seem odd that he couldn't get a sniff until they played a meaningless game at the end.

Happy to see him bag a goal. Best international signing Carl ever made because not only was he good, he lasted. Carl has to turn over half of his roster every year.

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1369 tm13, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Well that sucks. We are now behind LAG in PPG. If you don't take maximum points off the weak teams you are one. We are now officially one.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    without a red-hot reyna in the second half of the season, we are a less than average team and will finish #7-9- relying on yordy to carry the team into the playoffs just wont happen- he is too narcisstic and immature, much like techera

as long as the disengaged ownershiip group stays the same, things wont get much better

AS A SIDE NOTE- mallett flies into a mid-season meeting with only supporter groups-- NO OTHER STHs are welcome- and says that kerfoot will not sell the team- what a shitty way to run a soccer business in a great market- sooooooooo disappointing (i guess we could have an owner like in colorado- gotta feel for their fans)- they treat their STHs not in a group as second class citizens

i have decided to not renew my STs for 2019, but select some games to go to- if davies were still a Cap, i would go to more, but i dont think that will happen- the KID is sometimes the only exciting thing on the field. especially when we play a team like colorado, the porridge team of MLS

21. Yorath

Yorath New Member

May 22, 2018
    it feels like so many people are finally fed up of it this year.

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yeah, hotpotato, I was pretty miffed that this town hall with Bobby, Rachel, Greg, Carl, and Jeff, was for paid members of a supporters group only. I found that quite baffling and I will be calling the club Tuesday to give them my comments on this. If they are going to create a two tier system for season ticket holders, and paid supporters groups are considered preferential, they are going to alienate a lot of ticket holders. There are under 1500 season tickets sold to paid members of the SS, Curva, and RCB (I believe it is under 800 but want to be over generous here), and a total of 13,000 to 15,000 in the entire stadium.

Pre MLS, there were 4000 - 6000 coming to Swangard for 20+ years and less than 200 would have identified as Southsiders in the years leading up to MLS. Their membership didn't grow until the MLS push came.

So, this decision is odd to say the least; and why their voice matters and the rest doesn't is strange. Because we don't want to sit behind goals and stand and cheer all game that makes us unworthy of discussion? Because we don't want to send our money to a supporters group we are not worthy?

Makes no sense to me at all.

I will call my ticket rep, but I am quite sure he will laugh it off, chuckle, think I am out of my mind, or say some canned response. It's unfortunate to say the least.

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    we just have to accept the shitty ownership group- mallett did his 1 trip/year as none of the other owners give a wit- and he has jetted back to the SF bay area until 2019

but continue on this path and they will pay the piper for being arrogant, smug and distant- they have little passion for this storied franchise since 1974 when i started going

unfortunately, we can not fire them and we have to choose between being insulted or ignored by them, or accepting and still go for the love of the game and the franchise ... and for the next 4 months, alphonso

i, for one, wont be treated shabbily and i will choose with my time, my money and most of all, my passion for the whitecap name and its great history up until 2010

24. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    U19s to face LAG in the western showdown to see who goes to the final against the east.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...ling-academy-championship-semis?autoplay=true

Montreal are still in it so we could have an all Canadian final. Dare to dream Arnold, dare to dream :)

11:30 a.m. CT, U-16/17, (5) Atlanta United FC vs. (7) Montreal Impact FC
    2:00 p.m. CT, U-16/17, (2) Seattle Sounders FC vs. (19) Barca Academy
    4:30 p.m. CT, U-18/19, (13) New York City FC vs. (14) Crew SC Academy
    7:00 p.m. CT, U-18/19, (10) Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. (27) LA Galaxy

25. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Boy did we need those 3 points. Made it way too close but all the teams around us won (Houston, LAG, RSL) so we had to take all 3 or slip farther out of playoff contention. Barring a huge slide by one of the top 4 teams there are 2 spots and 4 teams vying for them. Gonna be tough.

As to last night, Rowe is showing why he is not a starter with several missed whiffs at the ball.

Kamara (1034) MOTM. His hold up and scoring were excellent.
    Davies (736). Lost possession several times early on but played great after he settled in.
    Juarez (706). Showed he can play in this league. Now can he do it consistently? PS. Still not worth the money IMHO.
    Henry (602). Yet another strong outing. Clearly a great catch.
    Mutch (562). Excellent pressure and physical presence.
    de Jong (401). Good to see him at LB again. Shea is clearly not as good defensively.
    Reyna (384). Played very well. Nice comeback game.