Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the Tchani for Manneh trade. Tchani wasn't amazing but I think he helped the Caps become more balanced. Chicago badly needs players so good luck to him.

2. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1127 tm13, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    I think the Arfield rumours have more weight than the Hutch ones did. As much as I would have loved to see Hutch in a Caps jersey he is much older than Arfield. At 29 Arfield fits in with the age range Robbo targets.

Parker turned down 450? Okay that is fair for his level current and he may have more potential but he obviously has other plans. Best of luck to him and thanks for all the games I guess.

Tchani gone? Okay I missed that one. I'm fine with that. He was cold more than warm and while a large presence in midfield lacked the agility and quickness in defence that the league has shifted to.

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    By that criteria, Ghazal isn't suited for this league, either.

Tchani and then Nosa always looked like attempts to replace Koffie. I'll bet we'll see another player in the same vein being brought in as soon as possible.

4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Aly is way more quick and agile than TC was. Him I still have hope for :)
    Agree on your point about Koffie. I'd laugh if we got him back and love it. He was my favourite player.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    To me, it seemed like they conceded that they made an error after moving Koffie by failing to bring in a similar but cheaper type of player as a replacement. After a year of weaker central midfield play, the 2017 acquisitions of Tchani and later Koffie looked like they were trying to rectify that misjudgment.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tchani and Ghazal ate two completely different players evenethough they are similar in stature. Tchani is an "8" biased towards attack and Ghazal is a pure "6". Ghazal actually seems to have good range laterally helping him to intercept and tackle but he seems kind of limited with the ball, imo. Tchani is better at winning balls in the opponents end than he is at defending in our own end. I also liked Koffie and hated to see him go.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like Jordan Mutch is joining on loan from Crystal Palace. He is an "8", box to box midfielder. Should definitely be an upgrade over Tchani.

8. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^Loan.. well, that fits with Mr Kerfoot's finances, no transfer fee! Bought down with TAM and CP retaining salary so it costs the Caps zip out of the owners pocket.

A fiscally astute move if he plays like an upgrade to Tchani. Makes sense now of why the traded Tony for TAM and not something else.

On the surface I like this move for the roster and it is a well done move considering the club being unwilling to spend on DP's this year. (Shea is being bought down and I believe they have enough to buy down Kamara or at least minimize what is coming out of Kerfoot's pocket).

I don't want to hear any "he is not match fit" excuses. While he isn't getting 1st team minutes, he trains daily with the club he will be in shape.

I guess the other big thing will be shipping out Parker. I can't see them keeping him for the season considering he doesn't want to be here.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Senior career*
    Years
    Team Apps (Gls)
    2008–2012
    Birmingham City 24 (2)
    2009–2010Hereford United (loan) 3 (0)
    2010Doncaster Rovers (loan) 17 (2)
    2010–2011Watford (loan) 23 (5)
    2012–2014 Cardiff City 57 (7)
    2014–2015 Queens Park Rangers 9 (0)
    2015– Crystal Palace 31 (0)
    2017Reading (loan) 9 (1)
    2018–Vancouver Whitecaps (loan) 0 (0)

when you see a youngish player of 26 with 6 teams in 8 year, rarely even making the bench and/or making short sub appearances in the last couple - and being loaned out 3x in that period of time-, then you have to stop and ponder this loan deal- its another body to fill a gap of depth- nothing more, nothing less- YAWN!!!!!!! another cheap loan by the Caps

why you think he is an upgrade is a mystery to me (nosa was an upgrade but the Caps wouldnt pay him his value so he is gone)

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    They may be hedging their bets about getting Arfield with this one. Scott wouldn't be available until mid season so this fills that gap and possibly more if they can't land him. I consider this signing to be an upgrade over TC.

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    There is no no no on no way Mr Kerfoot approves a 2+million dollar salary for Scott Arfield. I also don't see why he would come to MLS at this point of his career. But if he does, it won't be here unless Kerfoot has a completely life changing experience.

12. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I believe he is an upgrade on Tchani. And yes, he is the usual guy the Caps look for that has almost as many clubs as his years as a professional.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    It's official. Parker is gone to NY for Felipe, 500k & an int spot. Not bad.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    only if you think breaking up one of MLS' best CB combinations is a good idea

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    soccer writer, john molinaro, has nailed it:

Yet for all of the turnover, for all of the tinkering, for all of the changes, as an outsider looking in, you can’t help but feel blasé by this “new-look” Whitecaps side, and that management mostly made a series of lateral moves that don’t improve the team in a significant way ..

...when the stakes have been at their highest, Robinson has cowered in terms of his tactics and player selection. A new philosophy has to be adopted. Complacency can no longer be accepted. They can’t be afraid of losing. They have to play without fear. Robinson must set the tone.

full article- https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/van...-kei-kamara-carl-robinson-western-conference/

16. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Well if Parker refused a deal and asked for a trade what do you do? Play him for another year and get nothing or trade and get something? Of course I hate to see that ultra reliable combo nixed.

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1142 tm13, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Kamara & Blondell offer a better fit for the Caps than Montero did. I loved watching Montero play because he does everything a forward should do and did it very well. That said a couple of big physical players are going to get on the end of some crosses (depending on quality of service from the wings of course) and deJong / Nerwinski have a good range and accuracy with those.

That and they are "less expensive" (not cheap) :)

18. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    In this specific case, I think they've made the best of a challenging situation because the feeling I get is that he didn't want to be here anymore regardless of what he was offered. I think he'll accept in his new NYRB contract a not insignificant amount of money less than what he turned down here.

Felipe has some useful skills in the build up/linking midfield play which the club certainly lacks but, regardless of how much they have to pay down in his wage with their various financial resources (straight wage or allocation), the questions remain as to how to put the pieces together. Are you going to play him beside Juarez and keep the triumvirate of Davies/Reyna/Techera together behind Kamara? And where does Mutch fit in to the starting midfield mix? Does the management have a master plan here or are they going to be winging it all season and hope for the best?

Their next big signing will be...wait for it...a pricey CB, probably a left sided one with decent ball playing skills. He won't be cheap but they have more acquired cap space to help that out.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    what have you been smoking ?

20. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Obviously the same stuff as Robbo.;)

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    BC Bud of course :)
    bcbudsonline.ca

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well- we have bantered a lot over the past 2 months- what is obvious is that we all are invested, engaged, passionate and informed about our team, the whitecaps

lets see it unfolds tomorrow- lots of new players, same coaching staff- not sure it will be much different than the last 4 seasons- bumping between mediocrity and a notch above or below- like JOE AVERAGE

talk on the forum after the game

23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    jordon mutch:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...aps-signing-jordon-mutch-left-premiership-mls

quote- "I want to be a box-to-box midfielder and I want to score goals," Mutch said. "That's how I see myself playing. I want to bring assists and goals to the team from a midfield position.

wont happen- he has never been a goal scorer/creator- 17 goals in 172 games since 2008 says it all-

i wonder what he has been smoking??!! a soccer diva who has an inflated view of his ability

24. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    After watching Columbus win today at TFC, I was left thinking that that's how you want to play a defensive road game. Now granted, the woodwork helped them on two pieces of individual brilliance by Giovinco and the new Spaniard, and then Afful had an awful giveway that Altidore flubbed late, but Zac Steffen looked pretty comfortable in goal with the attempts he faced and, most significantly, the Crew were able to keep the ball for stretches and take some sting out of the vaunted TFC attack while releasing Zardes and Martinez on quick sorties. They could have score a few more themselves in the process. That's a totally different defensive counterattacking game plan than the Whitecaps defensive game plan, where they give up lots of possession and still rely on highlight reel saves from the keeper to keep them in it.

At home, vs this opponent, I would love to see the Caps call the tune instead face of the music and get dictated to by road opponents.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    TFC were unlucky to not get at least a tie, but i was impressed by columbus' counter-attack- higuain is a master at leading the club from the #10 role

it takes, skill, pace, organization and a #10 to lead- the crew will not be an easy team to beat in 2018- always well-coached- well-organized with a solid game plan, but they arent afraid to go for a win, unlike our head coach- instead we get players like mutch to supposedly lead the way- wont happen

if we cant beat a weakened montreal team, we could be in for a long season- but i am really concerned with our CB pairing and how waston will deal with the change- it didnt work well when beitashour was stupidly traded to TFC in 2016 and i fear it will be the same with parker gone

prediction- Caps 3-1