Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread

Snappy dresser Haber takes jibes in stride
    - The Press and Journal

A little off-topic, but the article does mention how he hones his striking skills with the Whitecaps, which I thought was a great plug for our club.

3. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  5. John Mercado

John Mercado Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

So where do you think the Whitecaps will fall in as far as the MLS, say.. at mid level or do they plan to contend for silver out of the gate? Have they been tooling up as far scouting for new players? Or did they stick Forko in and call it done? Sorry

There are good players that can be had in the expansion draft and if they get the right ones to develop with your team it can work out well. From what I have seen of resent expansion teams the players picked up in the draft will not only compose a good portion of the starting 11 but may be where your best player/players comes from.

I have not been paying attention to the Caps after MSL season began but I'm sure they have been doing fine in the league. It will be fun next year to have them in the mix!

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

my guess- mid-table at the worst-- they are doing everything possible to get ready to make a good impact in MLS

7. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Vancouver Whitecaps assault on MLS
    - playitusa.com (in Italian)

The article is in Italian, but easily read with Google Translate. Pretty broad overview of the Whitecaps flurry of recent signings with some extra emphasis on Italian player Chiumiento (one of the Whitecaps signings).

8. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. Prost Amerika

Prost Amerika Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Give this lad a yellow card!

Good idea to have this thread for the Caps. I'm going to be running a Bob Lenarduzzi interview soon. Very nice man, I have to tell you.

10. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Looking forward to it Prost. I think the world of Bobby: once and a while I refer to the Caps as the "Bobbys".

Thanks for the encouragement on this thread! I love finding the articles, and look forward to reading more on your page.

11. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Dollars to doughnuts says it's Salgado.

13. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'm with you Johnny. The way Vancouver seems to be operating, I doubt they would have worked for the loan if they hadn't already decided Salgado was their man.

15. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Salgado isn't eligible to play in Canada for another year unless a family member immigrates to Canada for non-sporting reasons... Obviously exceptions can be made and I'm sure if the Whitecaps tried hard enough they might be able to get one.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/whitecaps-loan-deal-teen-salgado-falls-through

18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

briniging in salgado was all about checking him out before the draft selction-- is he worthy of the caps # 1 pick?? it had nothing to do with him playing and staying here this season-- they already knew he would be ineligible for that-- a great move by the caps-- SMART! SMART! SMART!

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huh? Read the MLS article. They didn't find out he was registered in Mexico until after he had been loaned to the Whitecaps and that scuttled the loan.. I don't doubt that the Whitecaps were bringing him onto the USL team in order to get a look at him, but they had every intention of playing him in real games to get a look at him, not just a few weeks of practices..

Also, unless they get that exemption worked out, bringing him to Vancouver was a waste because they won't get any value out of him if they draft him #1 next year. They would have to loan him out to a US team. I'm going to predict that Arnoux is the #1 draft, and Salgado ends up in Portland.

20. SAFC Yank

SAFC Yank Member

May 15, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

As you said in an earlier post, I suspect they could find a way to get an exemption. And my sense is he's the better prospect, he might be worth waiting a year for.

Agree with you that they brought him in with intentions of playing him this year, though.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe, but #1 drafts are sort of expected to be near term producers now, not future prospects like years in the past. Getting Salgado and then waiting a season seems kind of like a waste when Arnoux is available and ready to start producing within the first few games..

22. Smapti

Smapti New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

They won't have to wait for a full year in the worst case scenario has Salgado turns 18 in Sep of 2011. It won't make a diff as they will get the exception. MLS is a multi-country league and should be treated as such.

23. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

are we really being led to believe that the Caps-- an excellent run organization who dots all the 'i' and crosses all the 't' were blind-sided on salgado's ability to stay and play in canada???

i dont think so-- it was all about getting a view of his ability, how he would fit with the playing style of TT, how he would mix with the players and how he would adjust to living in a canadian city

not a waste at all-- still a very smart move by the Caps

24. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I think that - as well run as the Caps are - they were, in fact, blindsided. How else to explain them signing the loan only to have it voided?

Having said that, I don't think it will happen again, and if they do draft Salgado, they will have a great plan in place to make sure they benefit from him in whatever capacity the FIFA regulations allow (be it a loan to an America club, or obtaining an exemption from FIFA, etc.).

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*laugh* No one is perfect. Vancouver may have relied upon MLS to do the checking, or just not been aware of the rule, etc. This isn't the first mistake the Whitecaps have made and it won't be their last, but in the general scheme of things, it is a minor error. Whitecaps still got a quick look at Salgado, just not as long as they were hoping.