Post-match: Vancouver Whitecaps FC - San Jose Earthquakes Knockout Round (Wednesday, 10/25) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 5 - 0 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As painful as the final result is, at least Jesse Fioranelli and whoever next season's head coach will be (whether it'll still be Chris Leitch or someone else) will now have a full offseason to retool this roster to something closer to their combined vision and less like a holdover from the John Doyle / Dominic Kinnear era.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

sj_vanbasten repped this.
  3. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we made the playoffs!!!! Pfff..

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the FO was sure milking that! What an embarrassment.

Tried to tell lots of people, this team is not good enough, and with our incredible, absurd record on the road what did we honestly expect.

This team suffered huge losses on the road especially under Leitch- what the hell is it about going on the road that makes this team incredibly impotent?

And Jesus, Tarbell- have to think Bingham could have made a better effort on a couple of those goals.

I hope this is the slap the FO needs to realize what they've done is not good enough, we still need to clean out this roster and implement better coaching.

See you guys in the offseason.

5. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, this is the best kind of loss we can have. With this scoreline the FO can't even stare us in the eyes and lie about the results this year. They won't be able to go into next season with a "let's give this same roster one more go". They know they will have to churn it up.

I'm actually quite normal right now, neither mad or sad or happy. Just normal. And excited for the offseason churn. There better be one. Am I happy we made the playoffs? Oh yeah, I sure am. Didn't go far but it's a step forward.

OK, have a good rest of the season folks! Glad to have spent time here with ya'll! I know all the negative nannies gonna bitch and whine, go for it! Some of you ate your fair share of crows this season, and I ate a fair share of mine for being optimistic at times. But it's all good!

Take it easy, and I'll see you all when the first offseason roster (players/coach) news hit!

We shall meet again!

tenfourteen and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hilarious! They just had a commercial for 2018 Earthquakes season tickets. Pure comedy gold!

OWN(yewu)ED, Beerking, ant0n and 3 others repped this.
  7. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why that was an embarrassment. We made the playoffs, we don't need to apologize for that. It's been a long while since we made it. Everyone's happy, fans are happy, team is happy, players are happy, owner is happy. It's all good! Why can't we be happy?

You can bitch about everything else, but let's not apologize for making the playoffs. No need to pin the FO on hyping up going to the playoffs, it's in their right to do so, shit I do the exact same. I'm hella hyped as well and didn't need any FO to hype me up.

8. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooooh Lord, and here comes all the whiners and bitches. You lot seem to disappear for a good while the last 3 weeks when we clawed our way into the playoffs.

But tonight is what you are made for. Go for it. Tear this team up. God know you've all had it pent up inside you for 3 weeks now. Go for it! :)

See ya'll next season! En Fio con fio!!!! Vako and Wondo too!!!

sj_vanbasten repped this.
  9. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barely making the knock out round of the playoffs (mainly because Dallas had a total melt down) and then losing in embarrassing fashion 5-0 is not something to build on for next season.....

has the "who we keep and who we send packing" thread been created yet?

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bingham's not coming back so wondering how he would have done this game is probably not worth it. As for why they play so poorly on the road, I think they just don't know how to take care of the ball, honestly. When the Quakes are at home, they tend to get a lot more space because visiting teams are afraid to press. The reason they were somewhat successful against Vancouver recently was because Vancouver played like a road team at home. But they make poor passes and are careless with the ball because they think they are going to have time that they don't have.

Throw in some poor off the ball movement, some players who lack the ability to make something for themselves and midfield players who sometimes forget that they have jobs to do and try to foul their way out of trouble, and you end up with lopsided results.

If the midfield gets fixed, this team suddenly does a lot better. They need a real distributor of the ball to play in the center circle, and they just don't have that and haven't had it since Baca. If they don't figure that out, then they will continue to struggle like this.

bobby_guzman and sj_vanbasten repped this.
  11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't think losing 5-0 on a national stage is embarrassing? Alright then..

This team lost by huge numbers on the road under Leitch. Teams generally get fewer points on the road, but the score lines and goals given up by the Quakes given up especially the second half of this year under Leitch were downright abnormal. Something is wrong here, andor doesn't look like they addressed it before the most important road game of the year.

Beerking repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we limped into the playoffs for the first time in 5 years and got blown out 5-0, that's embarrassing. Jury is still out on "Fio"...this offseason will be telling. If he gets us an experienced coach and gets at least a couple of high profile signings done, that will mean something. But, if we head into '18 with this coach and basically the same roster, with a couple of minor tweaks, Fio is as big a flop as his predecessor.
    we'll see.

Beerking repped this.
  13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Vancouver would come out looking nervous and tight and the Quakes would have the care free attitude.....complete opposite happen...

Oh well.....even though I'm pissed ........in Jesse I trust.....

14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Too bad. The game was very even for the 1st 30 minutes. The Quakes were right there, maybe even looked like the better team. Just can't defend set pieces. One goes in, they get skittish about it, the other team smells blood, and it snowballs.

They needed to get Vako the ball near the goal. Just didn't happen this game. They should always be looking for him. Also, we blew our few chances. Hoesen dropped a ball to Wondo's feet, and he could have one-timed it with his right but for some reason decided to turn and use his left and it was easily saved / cleared. Hoesen had a decent chance later in the game and kind of tripped over his own feet. Those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

don gagliardi repped this.
  15. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For what this team was at the start of the season, and for what we had mid-season a playoff game is more than expected by most everyone. Of tonight starting 11 only 6 will be starting next season. looking forward to seeing who they bring in from Reno, and off season additions.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Actually, that kind of did happen for the first 30 minutes. But once Vancouver got the goal they started to loosen up. And after the second it was kind of all over.

don gagliardi, Neuwerld and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He was the Quakes best player while he was in there. Hit a number of dangerous crosses and won multiple corners, and played his usual solid defense.

18. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think the game was nearly as bad as the score, at least compared to some of the other big road losses. Even at 2 down we seemed in it, just couldn't get a good shot in.

Go Quakes, onto next season!

don gagliardi repped this.
  19. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    sorry Jazzy, for me TT is USL level at best. he has one goal since joining the team in like 2012 or earlier. he has the occasional moment where he shows some dribbling skills, but then he'll have a brain fart and just knock the ball out of bounds. for no reason. like he did tonight, which led to goal 2 for Vancouver and the wheels just completely fell off. I know you love TT but I see him and Sarkodie as the weakest links of a weak chain. we just won't agree but imo this team is going absolutely no place with TT caliber players. He's had like 6 years and ample playing time...1 goal Tommy. please.

20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey at least we are consistent.

I don’t feel the players on the field tonight were that bad. I think our problem is coaching. Chris Leitch just hasn’t had enough experience coaching. Look at all the weird things he’s done: subbing on a defensive corner kick, the huge away GD, poor set piece defending, huge roster churn up until what, the last 3 games...

Plus, he doesn’t know how to change his tactics in response to what the other coach does. When I’ve heard him during games, he keeps yelling at his players, “Movement! Movement!” If they haven’t learned how to move after—what is it now 12 weeks— what Is he doing with them at practice?

So I think our biggest problem is that Leitch is not yet capable. There is a reason the team chemistry is not good. Leitch is likely part of that equation.

bobby_guzman and Quakes05 repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #21 JazzyJ, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    That pass that went out of bounds was almost the only mistake he made all game. And IIRC he helped win that ball in the first place. He had only one other unsuccessful pass all game that wasn't a cross deep in the opponent's box. Which player plays a perfect game? And he had 2 key passes. Only Hoesen had as many, and he played the whole game.

This year TT was one of the Quakes assist leaders / 90. So he is contributing just fine. He is not a goal scorer. So what. He is more of an assists / playmaker guy. That's why he's playing midfield and not forward. And his defense is good - better than Hyka.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seeing Bernardez lying on his back in pain has come to represent a dark omen for me, given that just after the same thing happened in our last playoff game (so many years ago) against LA, the Quakes proceeded to utterly buckle. The sight is like a black cat crossing in front of me under a ladder, dislodging and breaking a mirror in the process, under the watchful eyes of a flock of buzzards that circle under a blood red moon at which a lone coyote is howling mournfully. Some day (hopefully many years from now), I will look over from my hospital bed and see Muma flat on his back, writhing in agony in the bed next to me, and I will know that the Good Lord is coming for me soon. (Big Vic, on the other hand, will ultimately have a full recovery, being the bad ass that he is.)

Mglnbea, nivla, tectonicnight and 5 others repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    imo that was THE key turnover that led to our crushing defeat. we're just wayy apart on TT. I see him as emblematic of all that's wrong with Quakes soccer. We need much more productivity from our attacking players. 1 goal in like 6 years is weak.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #24 JazzyJ, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Please, you're going to blame the goal and therefore the game on a turnover that occurred like beyond the Quakes half, on a contested ball? That's ridiculous. There were probably over a 100 Quakes turnovers in the game, many of them more dangerous than that - a ball that goes out for a thrown in at or beyond midfield.

As I said, he was productive this year. He tied for the team lead in assists per 90.

25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The playoffs were gravy for me. We were dead in the water after Chicago. We refocused and made a nice run. We held up fairly well on the road in the 1-1 tie with Vanc and the boys gave us a huge win against Minn.

Imo, we didn't handle the short turnaround very well as a team. We looked leggy and clumsy with the ball. Ceren really struggled...very poor, and our attackers didn't bring much touch or energy to the game.

We gave up the ball easily, many times in our own end... we gave them way to many set piece opportunities with poor clears and silly fouls. That was a recipe for disaster and it bit us in the ass and ended our season.

It was a interesting ride.

I'm anxious to see how the coaching staff and roster changes in the off season.

nivla, tectonicnight, NedZ and 5 others repped this.