Vancouver Whitecaps 2010

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by bythesea, Jan 25, 2010.

1. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Congratulations to Hubert Busby for being awarded Coach of the Year. Not only did he turn the program around by putting together a new team but he had to put in a considerable developmental effort to convert the players to a style he wanted. After years spent with Canadian YNTs and NTs the players tend to carry that direct style over to the Whitecaps. As Franko said, even the 2006 team played a very direct style. The team is still a work in progress but if the players return next year a foundation has been laid.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about the Whitecaps beyond that they have had some success on the field and have a pretty good sized following for a WLeague team.

With the men's team joining MLS next season, is there talk or prospect of the ownership looking to move the women's team to WPS in 2012? Or is that just random internet chatter from fans far away (who know little about the club's internal workings)?

Thanks much for any info.

3. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Whenever management of the Whitecaps is asked, they refuse to comment. If anyone knows anything or has any better idea of the odds, I'd like to hear it too. (The only bit of info that was dropped in the media was that the W-League team was supposed to continue its policy of rotating sites for its home games for three years, which would be 2010 to 2012.)

1 person likes this.
  4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Interesting about the rotating home sites. I figure ownership is so focused on the MLS step that everything else is getting ignored.

Do you know if any Whitecap players are paid (or have been in the past)? Now, with the new NCAA rules, players can play with professionals and keep their eligibility.

5. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    No inside knowledge from me, I'm afraid. They've never admitted to paying any players.

I'm going to start a new thread about the eligibility rule.