Valencia vs. Real Madrid|12-12-09|POSTMATCH DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Horsehead, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
  2. russian19020

russian19020 New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I liked how our midfield played, lots of short passes, kept possession for much longer. Vander vart adds fluency to our midfield while Kaka adds to the Possession lost statistics.

3. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Anyone got a download link to full match? Missed this one due to work, very impressive to get a result at Mestalla given Valencia's current form.

4. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I have to say, I'm very happy with both performances against Marseille and Valencia maximum points in hostile arenas. We looked great in both games and the fact that we played against Valencia without Kaká and Ronaldo makes it all the more encouraging. There are still some kinks to work out, but overall it seems that since the Barcelona game we have found an identity. Although our defence is called out for being fragile I have to say that the centrebacks and Ramos played a great game today. Arbeloa was okay, but he was to blame for the second goal after he let Joaquin drift behind him unmarked. It's all coming together and not a moment too soon. If we get all three points against Zaragoza next week we'll be two points off going into a winter break... not too shabby.

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I think you're being a little harsh on Arbeloa. Firstly i'd rather see a winger drift behind a fullback at the far post, than see a winger drift in front of him into a more dangerous zone.

Secondly i'm sure we can agree that Casillas is sometimes fallible, and he should have done far better. Maybe the ball was hit hard, maybe it swerved, maybe the covering defender obscured his view, but he got a hand on it so should have parried it better.

6. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Before people get too carried away with the Garay love -- did he not carry a lot of the blame for the Villa goal? Looked like very poor positioning for the right CB. Very glad he made up for it though :D.

Oh and re: the idiotic Frank post -- I don't care if anyone predicts we won't win a tough fixture, it's the completely unsupportive hopelessness of "I don't see any way we can win" that makes him look like, as Achillean so eloquently put it, "a tosser".

7. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
  8. ahss

ahss New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    This wasn't a convincing win but a satisfying win. To say no CR9, no Kaka, no problem is putting blinders on. We will need CR9 and Kaka to achieve the last two goals, La Liga and UEFA Championship. This game was great to watch because either team could win. It was an evenly matched game. Of course neither of these teams today could beat Barca. We will need CR9 and Kaka to do that, IMO.

9. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    The Villa goal was just a world-class cross. If all crosses are supposed to be intercepted barring a defensive mistake, 0-0 would be the natural result of a game and we'd all be Italian.

10. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is so ridiculous that i don't know what to say in response. Kaka is one of the best footballers in the entire world no questions asked. To say that some midget dutchman, of whom i'm a fan i must say, can even tie Kaka's shoes is a crime.

11. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    See the torrent thread Umar.
    And don't show excuse Madrid is much more important that he work :mad: .
    Joking :D:p .

12. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't agree with this.Kaka' is not playing well but he will get his form back soon as will Benzima.
    On a normal day for kaka', he will create lots of chances like he did against Barca.When Kaka' and Ron is fully fit,I think one of Mecello/VDV will replace kaka' after 70+ minutes (If needed).

13. Steeley

Steeley New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You and I must have been watching a different Kaka against Barcelona...

14. EstebanGranero23

Sep 25, 2005
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the fact that Villa's goal came off of a world class cross, mentioned by laudrup, it was Albiol that should have intercepted that, not Garay. But it would have been really difficult to intercept anyway. I thought that Casillas mis-judged it, and should not have budged off of his line. It would have been his had he been on his line.

The Pepe injury is a real blow, especially if its going to affect his WC chances. Its good that Garay can get playing time, and try to book his ticket for South Africa.

15. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    When he came on he went to the left hand side and Albiol moved across to the right.;)

As the move developed, Villa drifted behind Albiol and split the two CBs as all three were going into the area at pace. As the ball is coming in Albiol is beaten by the delivery and Garay is coming across but pulls out (presumably at a shout from Iker). That said, I don't think Garay was getting there.

All in all, I'm with laudrup on this... a superb cross and IMO the best striker in world football were simply too good. Great attacking play rather than defensive errors... though Iker could have done better coming out.

16. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This ^

A great summary of the goal, I think people are forgetting Villa's predatorial instincts - both on the ground and in the air.

17. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw the best of Higuaín ; the worst of Casillas...

Very lucky to get all three points.

18. Ify23

Ify23 Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought we played very well. We had controlled possession for large parts of the game and we looked quite stable and solid. It's really good to see that we're starting to work as a team now, going forward and defending together as a team. For far too long (the past 5 years) we had an imbalance which meant that very effective teams would always find ways of exposing our weaknesses. So yeah, I thought our defence did well today. It's a huge shame about Pepe, hope he's not out for too long.

Higuain always steps up for us when we most need him, and he's turning into one of the world's greatest clinical finshers. His technique is sublime. Benzema looked promising today as well, the past 2-3 games has seen a resurgence of sorts and I hope he can continue with that and get to the player he was at Lyon and get even better. He is starting to work well with Higuain, give it a bit more time and we should have a dangerous striking partnership.

Xabi Alonso is also slowly getting to his best, although he made a few errors in passing, he controlled our midfield play well. He needs to stop picking up silly yellow cards though.

Marcelo can be very inconsistent from one game to the next and so I'm mglad he had one of his better games last night. He started to run against players and goes past them too, his confidence is definitely increasing. We need a player like that, who has some pace and the ability to go past players and create goal chances.

I think our weakest player was Casillas, but we can't hold that against him for too long as he has been our best player for the past 3-4 years. He seems to be going through a bit of a blip though. He comes out from his line far too often, almost everytime the opposition attacks and it's quite unnerving. Sure he may win the ball sometimes, but a lot of the time he completely messes it up. I mean what was he doing that time against Marseille to concede that penalty? It's crazy! Maybe it's a response to him wanting to take charge as the defenders in front of him haven't been the most reliable. But that's changed now, so I think he should calm it down.

It was good to see Raul come on, but it's difficult to see what he can add to our team now. He is very slow and doesn't look like much of a threat. I'm glad Pellegrini has decided to go with Benzema and Higuain as our striking pair up.

Overall, it was a great game to watch. Valencia played very well, but we deserved to win. The victory is made all the more sweeter as it proves we don't need Kaka and Ronaldo to win games for us. We are improving every game and so far it is going to plan. With Kaka and Ronaldo back, the new year looks very promising.

19. nassar_7

nassar_7 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Pakistan
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Pakistan
    i think it was albiol not garay

20. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Yeah you're right, my bad.

As for the 'perfect cross' comments, certainly it was a great cross, but considering Albiol didn't even challenge for the ball and Casillas was having a serious WTF moment, the defending could have been slightly better.

When I think of truly sublime crosses I think of the defenders challenging for it but it being slightly too high for the inside defender and just right for the attacker.

But I certainly see Laudrup's point, I'm not one to blame our defense for every goal on a great attacking play -- I'm usually defending them.

21. theU

theU Member

Jun 20, 2007
    i think we should praise arbeloa a little bit in this forum. he has played well the last couple of weeks and he and marcelo are linking up well. he hasnt got burned or destroyed as predicted by many. he's not world class but there arent too many LBs in spain that are better than him. i know he is challegened on offense but he does make the right runs at the correct times and he is very rarely out of position unlike uhmm... sergio ramos.

raul for vdv was dumb, granero or diarra/gago shoulda came on. raul is killing us. he can play in the next few games and they are slower and weaker teams on the schedule.

22. ahss

ahss New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    An MRI at Sanitas La Moraleja Hospital earlier today confirmed that Pepe has torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. The player will undergo surgery in the upcoming days and is expected to be sidelined for six months.

23. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    so pretty much he won't be booking a flight to south africa this summer huh? :(

24. ahss

ahss New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Yes it is very sad. Can Real Madrid replace? Yes we have other defender that can fill in but not a complete replacement.

25. Toro70

Toro70 Member+

Nov 29, 2008
    US, CT
    Club:
    Real Madrid