Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll believe a story from the UK tabloids regarding the likes of Pogs or Martial, when it will have been corroborated by more reliable sources.
    Don't think it's a coincidence that the dark skinned foreigners are being consistently targeted in this fashion, be it by some members of the press or some fans. And honestly, that's some reprehensible and disgusting shit, as far as I'm concerned.

doubletrouble repped this.
  2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pogba gets targeted because he makes himself a target. Not because hes black.

Anonymous_United and doubletrouble repped this.
  3. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    This summer is going to get ugly if we're already starting with this shit. It's day 2.

4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Mad king at the helm ..

5. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Says a guy who, presumably, is not black. Lol

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Not surprising....

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/fnbx8-5a58f/The-Transfer-Window-Podcast

Football journalist Duncan Castles has said executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will not allow Anthony Martial to leave the club this summer as he was one of his signings, despite manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wanting to selling the winger.

“Perhaps Solskjaer would like to move Anthony Martial on having seen the drop in his performance after he got his new contract,”Castles told the Podcast

“Although, we’ve seen it reported elsewhere that at least one of the Glazers does not want Martial to be sold and I would suspect Ed Woodward would be in the same camp as he has always had a great reluctance at selling any of his own signings.”

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  8. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    So does Martial get his #9 back?

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  9. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully, along with the form he had when he was wearing it.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff: confident now we'll get the Martial from his first season at the club.

11. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I’m very excited to see what he can do up front. If Ole actually plays him there all year he’ll get 20 goals easy.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't argue with that. He's had good runs, but his most consistent period really was under van Gaal when he was playing in the middle. And if he gets going early and forges a good understanding with Rashford, he should be in store for a good season.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We need to lean on him hard this season. He seems like one of those guys similar to Nani that are best when they're consistently in the side and not benched after a few bad games. Hes gonna get all the playing time he can handle this season because we dont have any choice.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    The problem is his dick is directly proportional to his head, so naturally up down up down ..

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial needs a consistent run on the team - Berbatov

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/pre...how-to-thrive-at-manchester-united/ar-AAFnrXG

Probably not wrong there and something that most United fans have clamored for, going on years now. Don't think it's a coincidence that the most consistent we've seen Martial in his United career was in his first season when he was played regularly by van Gaal.
    He should have that again this season under Ole and along with getting his number back, there really are no excuses left for him not to have a good season.

16. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Martial is all mentality. He'll get his run so long as he doesn't hit a skid and start to channel Nicholas 'Le Sulk' Anelka again.

---

I'm very happy with him at the moment though. His attitude is a complete 180 to where it was last year. I know he will never be a player like Rashford or Lingard, who are just teeming to chase and pressure, but he has added an extra application of effort to his game when it comes to playing within the confines of a team system. A lot of that credit goes to Ole, too, for getting him to buy into what's going on at the club.

I'm a bit more hopeful that Martial can prove me a 'hater', now, and I genuinely hope he does.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Solid start as our #9 :)

18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Need atleast 20 goals from him this season.

19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Too low looking at our options. 25-30 I think.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are big expectations on Martial's shoulders this season. And he'll be given every opportunity also by the looks of it.
    Yet, the more reasonable expectation when it comes to our goals is for the load to be shared, starting with Rashford. Both never scored 20 goals in a season, so if both can meet that mark, it will be a good start (of course if one or both can smash way past that mark, all the better).
    It's also important for other players across the frontline in particular to chip in their share also.

22. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To piggy back on the prior post, goals need to be distributed throughout the team. We have to generate goals from set pieces for instance.

Not only do I not see goals throughout the team I don't see the threat. For example a fullback may not score but an intelligent run off the ball can throw a defense in disarray resulting in a goal threat. We are poor across the team as a whole

Anonymous_United repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    1) We've scored 5 in 2, should have scored 6, could have scored more still against Wolves but for stepping on the ball at a crucial moment.

2) A lot of our chances will come from the high press, winning the ball in the final third.

3) We will have 3 of the next 4 games now where we will be expected to win comfortably, where we won't be up against such a well disciplined defensive unit as Wolves. Let's wait and see how we get on there.