Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Zidane can solve our Pogba / Martial problem..

2. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    No.

As we saw with Luke Shaw - only a player can change their attitude.

Zidane might be able to get more out of Pogba/Martial. But if either of them want to reach their truly full potential, then only they can help themselves.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Attitude doesnt just change because you tell someone to change it. Jose has publicly called out Pogba and Martial on several occasions and has benched the latter for long stretches for no reason. Which of those actions are supposed to motivate a player to "change their attitude"?

A manager who is supportive, shows faith, rewards performances, and challenges a player is more likely to change their attitude than to criticize the player in public and bench them in hopes they change their play just to spite him.

Naboomagnoli, J'can and benni... repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as they recently did with Dave, the club has triggered the option on Martial's contract for next season. As talks are ongoing towards getting a new deal done.

6. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since the talented guys in the squad don't want to be here anymore, we turn to pressure tactics.Nice!

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What pressure tactics tbh? Those options Woodward adds on the players contracts is actually a smart move on his part, one that gives the club some measure of control that at times is needed.
    Sure, it looks like Martial and Dave might have left, if it weren't for the club option on their current deals. But things can change in 6mos but the club will have a good chance to extend them both. Something that might not have been possible if the club did not have them for another year.
    For me, this is a situation where Woodward should be praised.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1059 Ashur, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Now the negotiations will be more charming to Martial and agent..

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    and yet every time his name comes up pundits (including Gary Neville) question whether he is good enough

benni... repped this.
  13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It's been such a frustrating year or two listening to people swallow the bullshit excuse that our team wasn't good enough. Thank ******** that's over.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's funny and super ironic, as far as I'm concerned is how Martial has turned it up a few notches this season despite the lack of support from his manager. He was good in that period last season right before Sanchez's arrival.
    But this run he's been on, blows it away. More indispensable and unstoppable than ever: he and Pogba are our gems (Rashford is still not far behind in my estimation). And just as I'm excited to see how Pogs does in the coming months, it's very much the same for Martial. And he's starting to develop a swagger I love seeing from a quiet guy like him.

15. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Martial, if used properly, has the potential to contribute 50 goals/assists a year imo. In some combination of G/A.

benni... repped this.
  16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I think 50 would be high but surely 30-40 for him is gettable if we continue with same attacking philosophy and its so good to see our front 3 attackers interchange position.

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If it helps, Gary is a racist piece of shit.

EDIT: to make it clear, he's not Racist. Just racist. He's not even aware of his biases. He'd be shocked you could say that about him. He has black friends!

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If he played/started 3 out of 4 matches as he should, and we play attacking, fluid football, he could get 20 goals in the league. He's our most precise finisher and our best at interplay around the box and he can get a shot almost whenever he wants. 50 G/A in a season isn't a stretch at all.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Perhaps that could be a target for him next season. 50 G+A is very much tricky target for him usually he is at end of intricate passing he will score more goals with our fluid mobile front 3 and midfield setup to support attackers but he would also need to up his final ball to add to assist tally. The way we are playing if continue to improve furthur in attack he can get 20+ league goals add 6-10 cup goals. I think 40 is gettable but you need to aim moon to reach the stars.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I don't think anyone expects him to hit that mark this year. The original post was saying he has the potential to get that figure in a full season. He's not played a full season due to being sidelined for rubbish. I think getting to 30+ total this year would be a solid start.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He has played 14 league games and scored 8 goals so far which is a very good turnaround but he has no assist even when we include 5 CL (1 goal) games and 1 League Cup game so his current tally is 9 Goals and 0 Assists. Being realistic and given change of mood in camp i think 25 G+A would be a great tally anything over that or 30 would be astonishing.

22. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We've barely scored as a team though.

The assists will start coming frequently as we attack more often as a unit and get players into the box.

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    This is exactly what i suggested..

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, but you can't negatively evaluate his assists without considering that we weren't a team that attacked, took shots or even looked like scoring. Of course he didn't have assists. We didn't score goals!

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    "Change of mood" tend to cover that part? without adding too many words which i absolutely hate and im not good writing communicator.