Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Look, I have no problem with him staying. But I very much doubt that he told the club he was staying longer due to birth complications and they said no. It takes two seconds for him to make a call or instruct his agent to request a longer leave and by all accounts he didn't do that. If that's the case, he's in the wrong.

Now if he did ask for a longer stay and the club/Jose said no, then ******** em. Take the fine and stay as long as your family needs.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can't stand Jose either but this is rubbish. He may not like playing under Jose and he clearly wants to leave. Jose may make unrealistic demands and hold him to different standards than everyone else. It sucks but tough shit. He signed a contract where hes making millions. Suck it up, act like a professional until you get your move. If he wanted out bad enough, he'd hand in a transfer request. But he doesn't want to lose that extra money, so he hasn't. So until that's the case, train like a pro, play like a pro, and conduct yourself like a pro. Even if the manager doesn't.

Stud83 and jeff070 repped this.
  3. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Exactly. Child birth is important, but it's certainly not unexpected. You notify the club in advance that you may need to leave, the club then briefs journos and this whole thing is a non-story.

4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All of this is strictly conjecture. As far as everyone knows, Mourinho is controlling the narrative. So most everything we know is coming from his perspective. He is pissed about the tour, the lack of players, etc. He is pisses at Woodward, the under-20s, the World Cup, Martial for leaving...

Fact is, I am sure someone at the club knew Martial’s girl was pregnant. I am sure they knew he intended to leave when she went into labor. Now, as far as I know, unless it is a C-section, the length of childbirth cannot be predicted. It could be short. It could be long. If it was a long childbirth, a tough one, I don’t see the issue with him taking “extra” time (I am not really sure what length he was granted or when they told him to come back as that seems unpredictable within a one week span). It actually seems ridiculous that the manager is focusing on this at all.

Again, Mou is controlling this narrative. He will make it seem however he wants it to seem.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    When you’re sick do you call and ask for a sick day? No, you say I’m taking a sick day. I do the same with vacation. I recently changed jobs. When I did I didn’t ask them if they’d be willing to pay me at the end of July. I told them I wanted my final pay, my vacation payed out, my commissions, and my expenses all payed on the 31st. You tell, you don’t ask. Leaves them the idea that there’s negotiating room. There isn’t.

benni... repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    First, if all those demands you are talking about were made towards your previous employer, then you didn't really drive a hard bargain because they are legally obligated to give you all of those things unless you were fired. If they weren't cool with the payout time they would've just told you no and you'd have literally no negotiating power.

Second, sure you can call in and say you're taking a sick day...if you have sick days available or PTO based on your contract with the company. If you dont and you take a sick day...you don't get paid. Obviously a professional footballer isnt a normal 9-5 corporate job but the same applies. Hes given a certain amount of days off as agreed with his employer and extra days for extenuating circumstances (in this case, child birth). If he takes longer than the agreed upon time, he gets fined instead of not paid. In a normal job you would likely get fired but contractually that cant happen in football just like players cant get fired for playing poorly whereas you can for performing poorly at your 9-5.

So I stand by what I said, if he didn't specifically request or notify the club that he needed to stay longer then he's in the wrong. A phone call in this case is common courtesy and its just lazy and unprofessional not to reach out. If the club said no he has to come back then I'm all for him saying FU and staying.

Everything I'm talking about is typical corporate America and may not apply to other regions of the world.

jeff070 and Chaz Striker repped this.
  7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Just like maternity leave?

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maternity leave? Yes.
    Paternity leave? No.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Paternity leave is a thing!

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're in the age of SWJs. Of course it's a thing.

11. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SWJ - sluts whores and johns? :confused::thumbsdown::eek:

incighte and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  12. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Yeah, this is the perfect reference for the career path Anthony Martial is taking.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whoops. SJWs.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    [emoji848]

So that means Jose is even more of a fool for alienating him. Screenshot_20180802-165921_Chrome.jpeg

reddevilmike repped this.
  15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    And yet most people still know Allen Iverson for having a poor attitude towards practice, creating controversy with his head coaches, and never winning a Championship.

You advocating for a ********ing Stevie G, mate?

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Most places of work, when you say you have a family emergency, they say go on, take care of your family. Places that don't do that are places that employ essential personnel. Even essential personnel can say "I don't know" when asked when they'll be back from leave.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's likely his gf went into labor and he asked if he could leave to be there for the birth and club approved a certain number of days. Then after his gf apparently developed complications and Martial wanted to stay longer which is understandable.

The part where Martial dropped the ball by all accounts is not reaching out to someone at United and saying, "hey my gf has developed complications and I want/need to stay longer to be with her". The club would have almost surely said yes and this would be a non-issue. But instead he just no-showed when he was supposed to be back leaving the club to guess as to where he was and why he wasnt back yet.

Also, im pretty sure the club didn't just issue a release saying Martial would be fined without trying to reach him. I'm guessing they reached out and he didn't answer/respond which led them to issuing the warning.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hadn't seen all of Mizzou's rants. I ain't replying no mo. That's some dumb ass shit right there.

Red Jeph repped this.
  20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Most people I know tall about Iverson being the most influential player in NBA history.

His no. 3 is the most worn or requested number after Jordaans 23.

So you're telling me if you were an NBA franchise and you knew what Iverson was about, you still wouldn't draft him?

If Martial could have a career path similar to AI's, he'd be a United legend. Screenshot_20180802-191848_Google.jpeg

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    AI is vastly overrated. He was tough as hell and quick but he shot a terrible percentage. He shot 30 shots to get 40 on a night he was good. A good night for AI looked like a terrible night for Kobe or MJ or Carmelo.

incighte repped this.
  22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You wouldn't draft him?

23. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am sure he is WUMing. Especially since he mention Melo there at the end.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh I would draft him but not with a top 20 pick. Maybe top 15 if my team really needed a scorer.

No wum. I mentioned players with a shoot first mentality who weren't ATG shooters but on their night could score with anyone.

In retrospect, I should not have included Melo but even he shot better over his career than Iverson and he's also played on garbage teams shouldering a lot of the load. But a good night for Melo is the same as a good night for AI, I was wrong to include him.

25. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pregnancy isn't a surprise dude. You have that shit lined up months in advance.

MizzouMUFC repped this.