Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If one of your employee's did not ask for permission, but told you he was leaving. What would you do?

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally find it very hard to believe that Martial did not ask to leave. He does not appear to be that brazen. It's a very straightforward and simple matter, one no doubt everyone at the club was very aware of.
    At the very least, I would expect that Martial notified Mourinho or whoever at the club that the time had come and he needed to leave. The insinuation that Martial did not ask to leave or "forced" it upon Mourinho seems to feed exactly into the narrative he's trying to push (which of course is completely ridiculous and painfully obvious at this point)...

JC7rox repped this.
  3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have quotes to back any of this up? Don’t recall Jose being blind sided or Tony “telling” Jose he’s going.

4. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Didn't Jose say something to the effect of -

"the first I had heard of it was 2 or 3 days ago when he (Martial) told me he was flying to Paris."

5. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    JamesA said earlier he'd allow them no matter what.

The question isn't directed at me, but it wouldn't be forgotten. Personal entitlement is the one attitude that you CANNOT let run loose in a locker room. It can destroy chemistry and camaraderie with the worst of them.

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Details matter in this. Employer duty to respect family (births, family health issues etc). Employee responsibility to ask / notify (eg when returning).

From the outside hard to judge without the details - rest is speculation.

If I had to speculate think the history is of fault on both sides, so likely Martial is slow returning / communicating and also likely Mou is making too much of it.

incighte repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    By all account it sounds like he was given permission to attend the child’s birth and be gone a few days. His wife had some complications and instead of asking the club if he could remain with her he just went radio silent and stayed longer than agreed.

If that’s true, Martial is in the wrong here. Family comes first, sure, but you have a responsibility to your employer. They cant be understanding if they don’t know what’s going on.

jeff070 repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    exactly.

besides why is he going to rush back when he knows he is only "needed" because no one else is there and knows he will be benched upon Lukaku's return.

besides José's dumb ass saying he doesn't know is exactly that. when the club releases a statement regarding delinquency and punishment then we can talk

benni... repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jose manufactured this.
    1. He dropped him when he was in form
    2. He has publicly attacked him frequently
    3. Martial had permission to leave
    4. Mou talked shit the minute he left
    5. If performance meant you should lose your job, Mou would be gone before Tony.
    6. Same if disrespecting the club was cause.
    7. Mou is a grown man, a multi champion, Martial is just making his way in this game.

giggs88 and Pulp repped this.
  10. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Truth.

One can only hope Martial stays on for at least another year. Can't have Mou sabotage the team before he leaves.

11. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    #861 lynne, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Good thing we don't rely on him for anything much then, the poor little lamb.

Weird that there was no communication between Utd and Martial. Seems like that would be what a agent was for.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There was communication. Martial said he was going to be with his wife to see the birth of their child. I'm certain that conversation didn't end with, "ok but be back by Wednesday!"

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I bet it did. You think he was given an open ended vacation?

I bet they agreed he could leave for a certain amount of days and Martial didn't communicate that he needed more time away due to his girlfriend having complications.

14. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    This is bogus. I work for you, that doesn’t mean I owe you anything more than my allotted time. I will tell you when I’m leaving, I don’t ask. I’m not your child.

johno and benni... repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #865 Ashur, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    We pretty much know that there was some kind of communication between Martial and the club. Mourinho did imply in his post Pool match press conference that he had seen (pictures I presume of) Martial's child.
    I'm very confident also that Martial communicated with someone at the club (not necessarily Mourinho directly) about his partner's difficulties during delivery and it was passed on to Mourinho.
    Mourinho is on a concerted effort to try and turn public opinion against Martial and therefore went with the "I don't know where he is/have no idea when he'll return" explanation to portray him as a guy who does not care about the club. That followed the previous press conference where he mentioned how he should be with the team helping them, with the underlying meaning that he does not care.
    Mourinho is not stupid: he realizes full well that the majority of the fans do not want to see Martial go and they'd be livid if he were to be sold.
    This is part of a very deliberate and calculated move on his part, to try and turn people against him. It's pretty clear as day IMO. And to his credit, Martial still hasn't taken the bait and done/said anything stupid. Or just stoop at Mourinho's level. All he's said is that family is above everything: nothing wrong or inflammatory about that.
    It ought to be interesting to see what happens, now that he's back with the team. Betting that Mourinho is furious his plan, for all intents and purposes, did not work the way he hoped it would...

JC7rox repped this.
  16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If your allotted time cannot be met, then yes it does.

17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    For me it looks like Martial did not want to fly back to LA or Miami for another four days only and then come back to Manchester when he was in France. I do not buy the idea that she had complications.

18. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was literally gone for a week of preseason not the week before a CL final but preseason. Would it really make sense for him to make 3 transatlantic flights in less than a weeks time?

19. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I agree with you. Jose has an agenda and almost playing a game with his head. I am the boss and you follow my decisions.

Also, it looks to me as Jose is doing that to force the board to either choose his decision of selling Martial. It's me or him kinda thing.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    [​IMG]

Ashur, Chaz Striker and JC7rox repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It sounds cool to talk like this, but that's not how the business world works in 95% of situations.

incighte repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Everyone quit pretending that you're defending Martial based on his decisions and not because you like him and hate Jose. If the roles were reversed and this was a player we all disliked and a coach we all loved, you guys would be shitting on Martial for being so unprofessional.

incighte, Stud83 and jeff070 repped this.
  23. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What ever Martial decides to do from here on in regarding our club (while Mourinho is here)...I will not criticise. If he wants to play half arsed when called upon..fair enough. If he want's to choose his personal comitments over pointless games..all power to him. You can only push people so far before they push back. He has asked to leave, because the situation for him is untenable, and he is being held back from his professional goals...that wish has not been granted. There are times to be professional and times to say enough is enough. The bullying, public shaming and double standards of our manager has pushed him way beyond the 'be professional' stage.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Martial deliberately ignored the club or did not communicate with anyone there as to what was going on with him, then yes, it's completely unprofessional and wrong on his part and he should be punished in some way.
    Thing is though, Martial having failed to communicate with the club or him being fined, appears to be very much a matter of conjecture mainly from tabloids, as it was not officially confirmed by anyone at the club.
    This has nothing to do with "personal feelings" for Martial or Mourinho. From what we know from Mourinho, he has no qualms airing dirty laundry, if it benefits his cause.
    I think it's clear that we don't know the whole story here...

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Nah not at all. This is child birth.
    this is health and this is his family health