Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair enough, I suppose, just as long as he's not sold to a domestic rival. It's bad enough that we would have to see him go, but him ending up with Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea is an absolute no go. It can't be allowed...

2. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monaco has a 50% sell on clause so even if we sold him for that we would still be losing money with the additional fees we already payed Monaco. We’d still be on the hook for those add ons too I believe.

3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's 50% of any gains. So any profit of the original fee. So if we paid 50 mill and we sold him for 80 mill...Monaco get 15 mill.

I'm not sure he met most of those add ons either. Nominated for balon dor - No. 25 France appearances - No. So many goals in a season - not sure.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    http://www.skysports.com/football/n...rt-of-manchester-united-plans-for-next-season

again, the hope is we keep our best assets, toss Mourinho in 12 mths and hopefully start afresh with everyone. if we do keep Martial we also have to hope he won't be resentful either. some trophies would do well to prevent that.

we still have very good pieces of the puzzle here. we just need coherence and to "let the horses run free"

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He has fallen out because he hasnt been playing for his club.

Futbol_Head and JC7rox repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

United so far have paid to Monaco 2 of 3 preset add ons (worth just a shade over 7mil each), which means we've paid a total of £50mil for him so far.
    And in today's market, we really should not be looking to get anything less than 70 (and that's being pretty generous IMO).

7. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    He is not going to leave period. Here is why:

- the ball is in our court. Mou knows Sanchez is 30 and Martial is the future for this club.
    -This could easily be a tactic from the agent to have Mou show Martial that he really needs him and give him a large contract.
    - Contract is not expiring until 2019 with a year to extend.

contract ploy.

I wouldn't accept anything less than 120 for him.

doubletrouble and Rooney20 repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United definitely have the upper hand currently, no one is arguing that. The point remains however that it's evident also that Martial is not happy with his current situation under Mourinho.
    Things can change obviously, especially if a coaching change occurs by next summer. But it also stands to reason, especially if nothing changes this upcoming season that his resentment will only grow. By which time, his value, if we have to sell him then, will start diminishing.
    The bottom line still is that we better hope that Mourinho will see the light and start playing him more this season, in order to give him a reason to stay with the club beyond his current contract.
    It is already rumored that the situation with the #9 being taken away from him is something that never sat well with Martial. Add on top of that being an afterthought once more, when he rightfully feels he should be playing more regularly, will not push him to sign a new contract. Not when there is clear interest from a number of top clubs out there. We don't need to placate him, but he needs to be feel valued. Which at the moment, he may not believe it to be the case.

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Comedic

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unhappy players that attempt to force their way out usually get their way eventually. Plus it's not like he wants out and everyone is dying to keep him. Our own manager would be happy to let him walk if it meant he could bring in Willian.

11. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    His agent has pretty much said that Martial loves the fans and the club....but he sees no future under the present manager. Mourinho is a petty manager who holds grudges. If we thought martial was treated like crap before, if we force him to stay...Mourinho's spite will know no bounds. No player deserves that.

12. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be fair, we all thought Mata was a goner when Jose signed on. Instead, he has become an integral piece of his shit in a stick squad selections.

I am not optimistic about Tony Marshall but do prefer at least one more year. I love the kid. (Apparently, many United fans out there don’t think much of him. I am baffled)

benni... repped this.
  13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Can we just start our Martial Memorial thread already?

Can we reopen the ******** Off Moourinho thread as well please?

SyedZada and doubletrouble repped this.
  14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There's particularly one idiot on this board who feels he doesnt produce enough, despite having 13 goals and 7 assist before Sanchez came.

United 16 and doubletrouble repped this.
  15. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why did they close that thread anyway?

Some of the same fans who would not have cared if we sold a young, inconsistent show pony because Rooney was always going to be better. But still, baffling.

doubletrouble and benni... repped this.
  16. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Unfortunately there are many of them on Twitter like that as well

17. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    that's simply not true. he was not able to outperform other wide players (dembele, lemar, mbappe) when given the chance.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    How can he out perform other wide players when he barely plays?

In 2017 and 2018 so far, he has only had 3 appearances for France.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, I specifically remember a report about him falling out with Deschamps over something like how he was training because he was annoyed he wasn't playing for the National Team or something. It was rather specific and popped up an episode of ESPN FC and the BBC's Euro League's Podcast.

I love Martial. But the kid seems to have a few issues.

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    His two managers also have issues, Tbf.

22. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm fed up of this bullshit. You don't know the guy, you have no concrete reports from people close to him that he has caused any trouble or has internal issues. He is a quiet, unassuming lad, who probably has no greater issues than the rest of us in his personal life. Although he doesn't run around like a madman ala Sanchez and Lingard..the kid has gone out of his comfort zone to work hard when played, even to the detriment of his usual game.

Most of our attackers would excel under a different manager, and he is no different.

Canon, JC7rox, SyedZada and 1 other person repped this.
  23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lets defend Mou the dinosaur for no reason who has a history of alienating players.

reddevilmike repped this.
  24. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I do think there's enough smoke now that it's not exactly slandering Martial to say that he may be slightly difficult to deal with. He has always seemed a bit temperamental, moody, etc. and he does sometimes seem to carry off-field issues onto the field with him. His consistency has not always been there.

That said, selling him would be beyond idiotic. He's 22 years old and despite whatever the issues are he's already producing as one of the best wide forwards in the league. Almost every young talented player needs refinement in some areas. If Martial needs to improve his attitude somewhat then it's Mou's job to help him improve that, not to just toss him aside.

Woodward should put his foot down frankly if it comes to that (this is why we need a DoF truthfully). If we're being totally honest the odds of Mou being here past next year are what? 50%? 60%? Would anyone say higher than that? You can't be throwing away hugely valuable assets on the whim of someone who hasn't exactly cemented his status yet.

benni... repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Difficult to deal with, to me at least implies that he acts like a diva. Not sure that can be honestly said about him. He's been thru some personal difficulties (that he was the cause of obviously) but the separation to his wife and subsequent divorce looked to have shaken him big time, especially with his wife doing her best to rake him over the coals pretty publicly and in very vindictive fashion.
    That's not easy to deal with for anyone, much less a 21yr old kid.
    As far as his demeanor on the pitch, I also believe that way too much is made about it also. That's just how he is and I really don't think it means anything, much less make him a bad person. It's not like we hear anything about him being late or not turning up for training, or him being this party animal either.
    Unless I'm missing something, I don't see what makes him difficult to deal with tbh. It's not like he's a pain in the arse: the guy wants to play. I'd be worried if he didn't care whether he saw the pitch or not actually...