Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    why not wait and get the print on the black as well?

i always buy the stand out performer(s) for the season - defender or attacker. i might get Bailly 3 too. feel the front 4 might give me a huge dilemma this year

2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @sdotsom How do you like the black kit? Haven't seen it up close myself, does it look weird that the pattern isn't consistent on the back?

3. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    This is an excellent highlight reel for very few minutes

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, johno and benni... repped this.
  4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank Christ we didn't let him go to Inter. Love this kid.

Have Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, and Pogba been on the field all at once before?

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's fascinating about both Rashford and Martial this season is that they've played better, at least so far, as substitutes than as starters.

Anthony's impact in 5 minutes was far more substantial than Jesse's impact over 20 minutes. I'm still on board with Jesse as a squad man for us, but there's no question who has the greater impact. And more importantly, who has the greater potential as their respective careers unfold.

7. Zizou2017

Zizou2017 Member

AC Milan
    France
    Jul 14, 2017
    The only problem would if a team comes in that can guarantee him first team football but especially as a striker like he so wants to play there.

We all know rashford is an homegrown player which is always going to play against anthony even if he is better clearly,mourinho isn't going to make the same mistake he made while at madrid by getting the press and media on his back.

So i can see martial leaving to where not sure,to me i think he could play anywhere really even for real madrid or barcelona because he has it all and most importantly he is not selfish with the ball and can cover all the front of the attack but also still very young.

With gareth bale certaiy coming back to england next year i could see zidane asking for anthony as the mbappe train has passed for now.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like this version of Martial. Play for 60 minutes or so, Get some goals or assists, go back to bench and wait for the next match :) And what was the song again ?

12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is benefiting from higher tempo sand space due to Lukaku playing instead of Zlatan.

cr7torossi repped this.
  14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's actually true about most of our guys. We should be discussing this on season review thread but I am feeling that our frontline is sharing assists and goals this season more than last year. But of course we know the reason for that [emoji4]

15. michael24710

michael24710 Member

Jul 10, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Martial is also looking less lethargic than he did for large parts of last season.

On Zlatan, although we are undoubtably needed more upfront in case Lukaku goes down for any length of time. Is anyone else concerned when he comes back he will play too much and set us backwards?

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not concerned at all, because even though the point about Zlatan's style vs Lukaku's and how he affects the team is noted, I really believe it's a bit overstated as well. Zlatan is still a class player who will be able to help the team when he returns. I fully trust Jose to find the right role for him.

The biggest change with Martial (and quite a few players on the team) is that they fully bought into Jose's style, both in terms of the pay on the pitch, but also the mental side of the game as well. Martial is becoming a ruthless killer this season and that is what Jose wanted to bring out of him.
    Martial is the most obvious, but that mental change is apparent with other players as well (Jones, Fellaini, AY, even Blind among others). That, to me has been the biggest change and why the team has been so successful.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry, missed this Benni.

He's been much better. Let's see him crack the starting eleven consistently.

My point has always been about Martial and Mou. Not Martial in a vacuum.

benni... repped this.
  18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    That's why i tagged you. Not just about his play, but his actual demeanor, body language etc.

I felt the same way as you did. Its early but ao far he's looked for more focused or driven. Two things I believe Jose values in players.

19. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It absolutely seems happier too, probably leading to us seeing more energy and fight.

Maybe that girl truly did ******** up his whole season. It was a first love type scenario.

Hoping to see more for sure. He's got more natural talent than Rashford. Just needs to match the application.

Still needs to work on shooting from the edge of the box. Sometimes, I'd love to just see him put his laces through a ball. Can't ever remember that.

benni... repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There's little point comparing the two. Apart from being nominally used in the same position, there are no similarities.

I'm not a fan of Martial taking more shots than he does currently. He's so good at beating players, I figure the 2 or 3 shots from the edge of the box aren't worth the 1 shot he would get if he took on the defenders rather than shoot from further out. His finishing is almost all about placement and shape, don't want him to go away from that.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When defenders back off him though from fear, he's got to be able to take advantage. That's where I'm coming from.

johno repped this.
  22. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's great to see the Anthony Martial we got to know the first half of his first season with us return, but it's not hard to see that there's even more room for growth.

It's a small thing, and I could be completely wrong about this, but I'd like to see him play with more joy, perhaps even with a smile on his face. Maybe his jib just isn't cut for a smile on his face, but I'd like to see him look like a player who enjoys what he does on the pitch. It might lift his game to another level too.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never seen him go for brute power either but he's shown a willingness to take a crack from distance. He does seem to be more about placement (balls in the upper corner for instance).
    Would imagine that he is strong enough so in theory he should be able to hit it like a mule once in a while. Maybe, it's just not something he has in him (yet?).

24. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    When he's on he either beats defenders or backs them into their own 6 yard box and shoots from the penalty spot and there's nothing they can do about it.

benni... repped this.
  25. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Might be my favorite player in the team right now. Love seeing him starting on the wing with the ball.

jeff070 and cr7torossi repped this.