Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can say pretty unequivocally that last season's team was not as good as this one, yet he managed to shine. So the "poor team" excuse really can't fly. He's just not having the best of seasons so far and that is ok, especially if he can turn it on and finish strong.
    Regardless of the reasons, be it second year syndrome, or his family issues or simply adjusting to a new manager, with different ways, he's still young and there is little doubt he'll come good. As mentioned, it would be very timely for United if he can reach a rich vein of form.
    But there is no doubt that an in form Martial can change the team for the better: always maintained that he is needed and nothing has changed there.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Gilma1990 repped this.
  4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    United needed Anthony to step and he did just that today. No, it wasn't an epic performance but it was a solid first step toward recovering a shadow of his prior form for us. More to come?

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We shall see what position and role Mourinho has for him in future as it will impact heavily on our summer dealings.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #481 Ashur, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Looking forward to sign play with Rashford now. Rashford paired with Lingard has showed some promise. If he can have the same kind of understanding with Martial, it could be very intriguing.
    Most important point is for Jose to play so he can a pretty definite idea whether he feels he will work for him, or not.

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Still need a RW to relieve the marking on him.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If the plan is to play him through the middle flanked by Rashford and another then maybe not. I don't think Martial is the answer to our CF issues full time, but he can be a change of pace.

Just thinking on paper. It would be an elegant solution if the dribbler we find plays both flanks or on the left.

9. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Felipe Anderson :D, having a RW outlet would stop teams doubling tripling on Martial on the wing.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like him, I'm worried that he doesn't score at a decent rate to warrant attention. We have enough trouble shooting without replacing Mata/Mkhi with a guy who doesn't score. If we do, he has to be devastating on the ball.

11. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No wingers we can get does score at a rate which you would call decent. He does double figures in goals and assists every year.

12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Martial averages slightly above 0.5 g+a / 90.

All 3 of your frontline attackers need to be 0.6 or higher and if you have a clearly defined #9, he needs to be closer to 1

Pogba (with better luck) and Herrera have elite productivity numbers for their positions.

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally, I just don't think Martial will ever be intense enough long term for Mou.

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Federico Bernardeshi...

15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He scored 2 goals in the league last season, 6 overall. First season in double figures. Anderson have better numbers than him and just a year older.
    Also, most of his goals have come from central location, do not want another player better in the center.
    If you look at passing percentages, Anderson has a better passing percentage and more successful take ons, almost double.

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Felipe Anderson only has 3 goals this year.

Federico has 77% to FA's 75%

Have you watched him play?

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Did you watch that penalty..? :eek:

Gilma1990 repped this.
  18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I don't follow

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Fiorentina were 1-2 down and he tried to chip a penalty and got it horribly wrong. He was promptly hooked and Fiorentina scored four consecutive goals

Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I tuned in right after but never saw a replay.

They whistled him and he begged for forgiveness from fans. Shit happens though. For me he's top 3 options for the RW. He has shown that he provides exactly what we're asking for with a little more polish than most dribblers can can aquire

21. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't realize that Felipe Anderson has been deployed as a wingback occasionally this season. That puts his goal tally in a better light. If he has the work rate to play wingback, Mourinho would love him. I don't like that he completed only half or so of his dribbling attempts, but I do like that he is aggressive. He has taken on a stupid number of players this season. We need that.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

I've been on the fence with him. But all reports say he won't cost more than 40 mil pounds.

johno repped this.
  23. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Have we even been linked with Felipe since Mou took over? Chelsea has more interest than we do after Conte and Mou arrived.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Another note is we need end product. Certified.

Ashur repped this.
  25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed, that's why I think a central striker who leads the line well and can score goals that Rashford and Martial can't, will be helpful. Most of the pace merchant forwards are erratic finishers.