UWS 2017

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 11, 2017.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have to say, after the fiasco of whether teams would be playing or not, my interest kinda trailed off... I notice we're now heading in to week 4 of UWS play. Not much to read in to the standings just yet, especially with how uneven the schedules are. I'm guessing that the Indy Premier, the Michigan Legends, the Rochester Lances, and even the WNY Flash are already out of contention.

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Reports.
    Sat 6/3: WNY Flash: 0 Long Island Roughriders: 7
    Nice evening at Niagara University. Joe and Alex Sahlen and Alex’s older son were there. The Flash were outmatched and out played, as the score suggests. Unfortunately, I cannot cite any silver linings in the Flash performance. For the LIRR, I thought center forward Christina Dutcher (Bellport, NY), a 2016 Aldephi University grad, and Madison Vasquez (M, West Babylon, NY), a senior at Siena College stood out. My D3 vision noted that Sara Seper (M, New Hyde Park, NY), a junior at Vassar, started and played an excellent left wing for Long Island.​

Sun 6/4: Rochester Lancers: 0 Long Island Roughriders: 2
    The all-morning rain paused for this 1:00 pm game in Rochester on turf. The game was fairly even right up to the LIRR first goal, which I missed because I was looking for my roster sheet. The second goal was nicely launched from 25 yards out and found the side netting on the far post.

Christina Dutcher and Sara Seper did not play for LIRR. Morgan Santaro (M, Islip, NY), a 2017 Adelphi grad got the starting nod at center forward. She is tall and muscular, very confident on the ball and sees the game well (two-time NSCAA first team D2 All-American). She scored a 25-yard free kick goal vs. the Flash on Saturday. Overall the Lancers were way more organized than the Flash were, and played excellent team defense. The best players for the Lancers were: CB Dylan Patterson (Peachtree City, GA), a sophomore at Winthrop; midfielders Maddie Siclare (Hilton, NY), senior at D3 SUNY Brockport and Jai Jackson (Toowoomba, Australia), 2017 Winthrop grad; and right fullbackr Elysia Masters (Burlington, ON), 2017 grad of Memphis. [ I find it hard to believe that Patterson is just a sophomore].

The first LIRR goal was scored seemingly seconds after Jai Jackson was subbed out – I think the overall organization had not been re-established by the Lancers. Over the last 20 minutes or so, even though they were chasing the game 0-2, the Lancers subbed out several of their most dangerous players. In retrospect I think it was a good reading of the game by the coach – it is a summer league for amateurs after all. I was pleased that the style of play and team work did not suffer with the new players.

Music was played throughout the match (which I kinda like) and I could have come home with another tee shirt, but I gave the one I caught to a kid in the stands​

4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Report 6/17/17:
    WNY Flash 4 Rochester Lancers 1

Went to Niagara University for this one. Mid 80’s, low humidity, nice breeze. Quite a few Rochester fans made the 1-1/2 hour drive, including team owner Sam Fantauzzo (I did not see any Sahlen family there for the Flash, but I didn't look hard).

I had already seen the Flash 2x and Lancers 3x. Became more emotionally attached to the Lancers in the process, especially because 2017 William Smith grad Kara Shue is playing midfield. I followed first team All-American Shue intently for 4 years at W-S and love her play. Based on the early season games I saw the Flash play, I felt the Lancers were closer to playing as a whole team and expected a more even match.

In spite of giving up a goal 2 minutes into the game, the Lancers scored the equalizer five minutes later and they did have the better of play in the first 20-25 minutes of the game; but not at all thereafter.

The Flash put all their strength on the field for this game (which I had not seen before), especially up the middle, where they had players with experience, strength, skill, and credentials.

CB – Kelsey (Rdzanek) Ferguson: Richmond 2010
    2 years W-league, 1 year WPSL.
    Buffalo State asst. Woso coach.
    (Not that it is relevant, Flash Academy Director of Coaching Rob Ferguson is her husband).​

DM – Brittany Heist: Boston University 2012
    Capt. Of 2011 BU team. 2x NCAA All-Region.
    2 years WPSL.
    Now head Woso coach at St. Mary’s HS in Buffalo.​

CM – Jenna Raepple: Colgate 2016
    Coach at Flash Academy since graduating.​

F – Maddie Pezzino: Going to Florida State this fall
    Yes, she is younger; however she is strong, and is
    The all –time leading NY State high school goal scorer.​

On this night, for the Flash: Maddie Pezzino had two goals and two assists, matched by her running mate up top, Carissima Cutrona (5th year senior at University of Buffalo), who also had 2 goals and 2 assists.

blissett repped this.
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNY Flash 3 Rochester Lancers 2

I did not go because I went to the Courage - Breakers game in Boston. Here is the video of the game. Game starts at about11:50 on the YouTube:

Everything before 11:50 is typical Soccer Sam hoopla and fol-de-rol. I did not watch this video yet, except up to 15:00.

6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I find it interesting and slightly off-putting that the playoff format is not standardized between the divisions... West, just the table champion goes to the final four. East, top two play for a final four spot. Central, a full 1v4 - 2v3 playoffs for their final four spot. And then what's the wildcard?

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States