UWS 2017

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by SiberianThunderT, Jan 11, 2017.

1. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be sloppy reporting; could be something like a Southern / Florida division.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The thing I'm worried about is that, as far as we know to this point, WNYF brings UWS up to 22 teams. If there are still teams to be added to get to 20 teams total, new division or not, that means at least three or four teams we currently think are still in the league are slated to go POOF.

I mean, turnover has been a common theme in lower-division WoSo, but if UWS is wanting to look professional and they know some teams are pulling out for the 2017 season but haven't said so this late in the game, that's an issue. Transparency is a good thing.

3. A. Dufresne

A. Dufresne Member

Nov 7, 2015
    From what I understand, there will be some 2016 teams who may not return to the league this season. Whether some go on hiatus and/or fold is yet to be formally announced. Could be those 3-4 teams you mentioned. So... I guess we'll find out the final number of teams when they announce the 2017 setup.

The late nature of the Flash announcement is probably holding the official news up a little bit, especially if they want to release the whole league at once. It seems like there has been a lot of last-minute shuffling (SYR switching leagues, WNY re-organizing, etc.). But if they get the news out this week (like they posted last week) I'll be fine with the wait. Any longer than that? Well...

4. A. Dufresne

A. Dufresne Member

Nov 7, 2015
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ten days since the Midwest schedule release and still radio silence on the other two conferences...

I mean, it's normal in lower-division WoSo for clubs to come and go, so I don't think would have been any problem if UWS just announced who might not be returning the instant they knew, but the fact that nothing's being said makes me feel like UWS is trying to hide the fact that traditional lower-division-WoSo problems are affecting them, which is a lack of transparency that doesn't reflect well on them.

7. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been awhile since I checked in on the league and it appears a lot of changes are happening for this year. Does anyone have the final list of teams playing yet? I don't see it published on their website which used to be very updated but appears to have not been updated in several weeks.

With all the high profile signings as well as higher profile newer teams (Canadian and WNY in particular), is the league changing it's focus to more "Pro" than "Am"?

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    According to one article about WNY joining, we're expecting 20 teams to be involved this year, at least two of which aren't announced yet. Which also means that at least four teams from last year will go *poof*. Unfortunately, we've all been kept in the dark for several weeks now.

I think the eventual goal is to move as close to the "pro" side of "pro-am" as possible... USSF has literal definitions of what a D2 pro league would look like, though neither UWS nor WPSL comes anywhere close. If UWS could even meet the D3 pro requirements, though, that would at least mean they're officially a pro league, which would officially be a step above WPSL.

9. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Thanks SiberianThunder. So who is confirmed so far? And who is left to confirm 2017 participation and hence a potential "poof"? It would be pretty surprising for one of the founding members to be giving up on the league so soon, wouldn't it?

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #35 SiberianThunderT, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Just based on who UWS has been ReTweeting in the past two or so months, from the original 11 I would say that
    RSL
    SAC
    NJC
    NEM
    LAN
    LIR (maybe)
    look like they're definitely coming back. I really haven't seen anything significant from the other 5 founding members (HOU, COP, COS, TSF, NYM).

I wouldn't say it's very surprising to have league founding members go away the next year, considering the fact that teams coming and going has always been a regular part of lower-division WoSo in the US. Of the W-League's 19 founding teams, five didn't see the second season. I just want UWS to be a bit more transparent about the state of the league if they're trying to come across as more professional than WPSL is.

I particularly hope LIR is coming back... They're one of only three remaining teams that's competed at the W-League/WPSL/UWS level since the W-League was founded back in 1995 (the other two are current WPSL members).

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    SAC reporting their home opener will be against RSL, June 4th. I guess that means the rest of the West schedule (or at least more hints) will be appearing over the course of the week.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No other schedule information yet that I can see, but Calgary has announced three player signing so far today, and two of them were apparently on Santa Clarita last season. X-D The drama begins!

13. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    CoachJon repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be driving to Buffalo to see the Flash whenever possible, in addition I would love to see
    Santa Clarita play. SC has an exciting roster, including
    Deyna Castellanos - Venezuela NT & FSU
    Katherine Alvarado - Costa Rica NT captain
    Julia Hernandez - Spain [ youth NT experience] & current UCLA
    Chloe Castenada - US youth NT experience & current UCLA
    Lauren Sesselmann- Canada NT and lotsa other teams​

15. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the weekend I spoke to a LIRR player from last year who confirmed to me they will be playing in UWS this year.

16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNY Flash have released their home game schedule and one signing:
    http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/09/flash-ink-pezzino-first-player-united-womens-soccer-squad/
    It was a bit of a no-brainer, but Florida State forward Maddie Pezzino, the most prolific goal scorer in New York State girls soccer history, has decided to return this summer to play for the Western New York Flash in their first season in United Women's Soccer.

WNY Flash home schedule (all matches at Niagara Field at Niagara University):

*May 20, 5 p.m. vs. New York Surf
    *June 3, 7 p.m. vs. Long Island Rough Riders
    *June 10, 7 p.m. vs. New England Mutiny
    *June 11, 3 p.m. vs. New Jersey Copa FC
    *June 17, 7 p.m. vs. Rochester Lancers

The Flash also visit nearby Rochester for a 1 p.m. match on June 24 at Wegmans Sports Complex. The full United Women's Soccer East Conference schedule can be found here.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW: As of today, the UWS has 19 teams. http://www.uwssoccer.com/home
    The regular season runs 5/13/17 -7/16/17.

West: 5 teams; eight game schedule.

Midwest: 7 teams; ten game schedule.

East: 7 teams; ten game schedule.​

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually I think it's 20: the New York Magic are listed on all instances of the East division standings and are on the list is you go to the "clubs" tab even though they don't appear in the "UWS Teams" dropdown tab. The Magic are also on the schedule pages.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. BEAST442

BEAST442 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UWS website appears to be updated with schedules but a few things are confusing me.

1) It now shows an Orlando team (Orlando FC Royals) on the drop down menu?
    2) I could have sworn there was a Syracuse team announced but I don't see a team anywhere?

It seems they are still adding/dropping teams and the season begins in a few weeks.

21. A. Dufresne

A. Dufresne Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I did some research on Orlando and Syracuse...

Orlando are a UWS provisional team this year, in lieu of a Southeast Conference forming next year. They posted them on the site so they can roll the ball out for this summer's exhibition season. A release on them should be out soon.

Like a typically-run team from that other league, Syracuse committed than de-committed from UWS. Dirty pool it sounds like, pretty much. They're still in that other league, it looks. Rochester was ready to step up and in, so they took their place.

CoachJon repped this.
  22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #49 CoachJon, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Rochester LancersDylan Patterson (So. at Winthrop) and Jai Jackson (graduated from Winthrop this year) were on the most-listened-to morning radio program (Brother Wease FM 95.1) in Rochester this morning. They were promoting the home opener this Sunday. Both came across quite brightly. Patterson went to the same high school in Fayetteville, GA that Kelley O’Hara did. Jackson is from Toowoomba, Australia and had a pet Wallaby as a kid.

Sam Fantauzzo (“Soccer Sam” in Rochester) is an owner of the Rochester Lancers soccer club and also owns Salvatore’s Pizza, which sponsors the Brother Wease Show. I expect he will be promoting the Sunday home opener double header (UWS women and NPSL men) on his Saturday Morning radio program “Kick This,” on WHTK 1280 AM radio at 11:00 a.m. in Rochester.

The programs are archived as podcasts here:
    http://www.soccersam.com/kickthis/

FYI: His “Soccer Sam” persona is totally off the wall.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #50 CoachJon, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Game reports...
    Sat 5/20: WNY Flash: 2 – New York Surf: 2
    Nice afternoon in Buffalo at All-High Stadium. Joe and Alex Sahlen and Aaran Lines and Alex and Aaran’s kids were there. The two best players on the field were Flash Carissima Cutrona (M, Williamsville, NY), who is a 5th year senior at University of Buffalo, and Surf Meagan Doyle (F, Niskayuna, NY), who is a senior at Notre Dame. Doyle had a goal and an assist, while Cutrona bossed the midfield and did more to gain possession and keep possession than any other player. The Flash fell behind 2-0, played much better in the second half, and scored in the 61st (Cutrona) and 87th minutes to equalize.

Sun 5/21: Rochester Lancers: 1 – New York Magic: 1
    Also a nice, but heavily overcast, day in Rochester. For the Lancers, Taylor Wingerden (F, Palmyra, NY), who graduated from U Texas San Antonio in 2015, ran at and by the Magic back line all day. She was also good in possession, when she had to hold up to let her team mates flow into the play. For the Magic, 2008 FSU grad and MAC Herman trophy winner Mami Yamaguchi (M, Tokyo) had to be the best player (18 caps with Japan WNT). She was not dominant, although did assist on the Surf goal. Lancers scored first, 32nd minute, however gave up the equalizer just four minutes later [That darn “5 minutes after” strikes again one more time]. Lancers hit a post in the first half, and in the second half missed two excellent chances and had a PK (from Wingerden) saved.

Soccer Sam Fantauzzo believes in making soccer games an upbeat experience. Music was played throughout the game. There were lots of giveaways in the stands. I came home with a seat cushion and a tee shirt. One complaint I had was that none of the ball crew actually carried a ball to put into play before they chased the one out of bounds. As result there were no quick throw-ins and players had to chase after balls themselves. I would have thought the referee would have said something to the Lancers at half time. But nothing changed after half.

holden, Fracas and SiberianThunderT repped this.