Uvaldo Luna Martinez in Mexico

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Testudo, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The good news is he's a former US U-20 w/UANL Tigres:

Uvaldo Luna Martinez
    • U.S. National Team: U-20 MNT
    • Position: Forward
    • Date Of Birth: Dec. 21, 1993
    • Height: 5-10
    • Weight: 145
    • Hometown: Houston, Texas
    • Club: UANL Tigres (Mexico)
    http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/u-20-mnt/l/uvaldo-luna-martinez.aspx

The bad news is he's a current Mexican U-20:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/UvaldoL

"...(I)n the Mexico (CONCACAF U-20 Championship) squad is winger Uvaldo Luna, who was born and raised in Texas, but moved south to join Tigres UANL’s youth system and eventually elected to play for Mexico.
    A US-Mexico clash would be an extra special game for Luna as well, and one that may not be the easiest to deal with, considering he suited up for the US at U-18 level and was called into Tab Ramos’ US U-20 squad in early 2012.
    “It’s going to be kind of difficult but Mexico gave me that one opportunity,” said the right winger, who has featured in all of Mexico’s three games so far this tournament.
    Luna would potentially be up against US left back Juan Pablo Ocegueda if the two countries met next Sunday, his former teammate at Tigres and good friend.
    “He’s a good teammate, he’s a good player,” said Luna. “It’d be crazy. I’ve played against him against and he beat us and we’ll see how it goes.”"
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...r-will-face-bittersweet-moment-should-us-play-

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Has he gotten first team minutes for Tigres?

4. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt has never heard of him, so I think it's pretty unlikely.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. BiLLyHiLLo07

BiLLyHiLLo07 Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I agree 100%

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on... 7PM Sunday on Fox Soccer:
    http://www.concacaf.com/page/Under20s/NewsDetail/0,,12813~3094456,00.html

7. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid is fast, he is good player, did a great job yesterday attacking El Salvador through the right side. Too bad he doesn't want to be part of the US team.

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Never burn any bridges though. He still can switch as long as he does not get cap tied in an official senior match.

9. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't over till it's over:
    [​IMG]

Pl@ymaker and soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't know about you guys, but I just get a deep visceral negative reaction when I see US players having once wore the jersey of our deepest rival. Not a deep traitor mentality but close.

11. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    most mexican-americans want to play for Mexico, when they are not good enough for Mexico but good enough for the US they accept the call for the sake of their careers.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I get it, just don't like it.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Interesting point and we could debate this for hours, but what percentage of Mexican-American prospects born in the US would play for Mexico over the US if given the chance.

14. BiLLyHiLLo07

BiLLyHiLLo07 Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I dont get this.. You make it seem like Mexico is that much better than us.. But when I look at the 2 teams best XI, I dont really see how they are considered better..

15. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dos a cero

16. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    it has something to do with this
    [​IMG]
    you could add two U17 World Cups and two silver medals in Copa America

Nice, you got a trophy/medal for that?

17. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    How bout you look at modern history instead of the barren days of US soccer. From 1934- 1991 the US won exactly 2 games against Mexico.Starting in 1991 the US has 15 wins, 8 draws, and 10 losses and has outscored Mexico 39-35. So please tell me how Mexico is better than the US again? In modern days and from the perspective of the senior national team (which is the only one that really means anything), the US has been every bit as good as Mexico and in some ways better.

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Its ok to say Mexico historically is a better team but to use the Pan American games? When was last time the US played that? U20 championships? Its about qualifying. We just sent a few of our best players to their club teams? Can you do the same since 1980 and compare some valid points of reference. You really are using when we didn't really play the game from the 30s-70s? It fine but its seems you are using some odd examples to prove a true point that Mexico just might be a bit better than the US. 80% of all people misuse statistics to over emphasize their points.

19. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    really? that's why the US lost two continental finals against Mexico being outplayed every game since then, failed to qualify to the olympics and is almost eliminated from the WC by Guatemala?. I know american fans are really insecure and like to think the USMNT is a powerhouse in the region, but anyone would admit that Mexico is the best team in the region and any player with the chance to play in any of the two teams would choose Mexico unless he is really in love with the US, the same thing happens with the german-american players, this is going to happen until the US begins to produce all their own stars and not just two or three of them.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Don't let facts get in the way of a strong opinion. I thought you were going to have a legit back and forth on who may be better but that was just a troll response. This just in the US is pretty good. Didn't we just beat Mexico in Azteca? When you beat us tomorrow in the U20's are you going to claim superiority because we couldn't bring some European players in for qualifying and let 2 of our best go home. If that's the way you play it.

21. Goodbye Orbit

Goodbye Orbit Member

Nov 28, 2012
    What did you guys gain from that? It's been more than a decade and have you guys won anything? No offense but it seems that you guys have built a central american team's mentality. More specifically, an El Salvador's like mentality. They have a chant in which when translated says, " To the World Cup we wont go, but at least we'll beat Mexico". Don't let a victory over Mexico be your just purpose, they are other stronger nations than Mexico and other trophies other than the "I just beat Mexico in a friendly" or my personal favorite one " first victory in Mexico after god knows how long" . Any who good luck on sundays match, here's to a injury free game for both sides.

El Spooky repped this.
  22. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was only the most important game the two teams have ever played, but you just play that off all you want to. when was the last time mexico advanced to the WC quarterfinals? outside of mexico? try nineteen ninety never.

i have plenty of respect for el tri, they're a worthy rival & i wish them well when they're playing outside the region. but the idea that they're a superior team in the international arena is just not something backed up by results on the most important stage, particularly recently.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  23. Goodbye Orbit

Goodbye Orbit Member

Nov 28, 2012
    It is and you won what exactly? You claim that the two arent far apart football wise, yet all the prove you have is a game in 2002. Is Mexico better today, or does 2002 prevent that from being the case? So if Mexico where to last one more match then the US in this upcoming World Cup, what will you fall back to, 2002 again?

24. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    & when was the last time mexico made it that close to a world cup final? & where was that tournament exactly? what's their best finish ever?

what aspect of el tri's international superiority am i missing here?

25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Friendlies don't prove who is better. Mexico are the defending Gold Cup champs, and have romped thru WCQ so far. That record posted earlier is meaningless because friendlies are lumped in. You gotta look at World and Gold Cup participation, along with Cup America. Mexico has been better since 1991. Hands down.

I won't. Both teams are qualified. The true test will be in Turkey. There, we will see which Mexican team is better: yours or ours.

soccersubjectively repped this.