Utterly co-pious! Twente 2011-2012 [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's a done deal, Co Adriaanse is our new manager. Bring on the new season.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Re: Utterly co-pious! Twente 2011-2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Translation:

Says Co Adriaanse: "But the Arabs paid me three times as much."
    Munsterman: "You're in Holland now Co. PSV and Feyenoord are bankrupt and Ajax has de Boer. And nobody wants you abroad. So sign here at the dotted line please."

4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will admit to having a soft spot for Co in my heart. I think this is a much better choice than Van Basten or Koeman.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

It'll be fine I'm sure. Twente aren't allowing him to bring his own assistants and he's just signing for one year (trend in Dutch football that!) so he can't do any damage really. The Dutch media are loving his appointment by the way.

I personally am not going to watch post match press conferences this season.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
  7. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007

Congratulations with the signing of Co Adriaanse.
    One of the best there are.
    He has the ability to do wonderful things with mediocre teams, so he is at his place at Twente :p

Almost champion with AZ, actually the builder of the successful team where van Gaal got all of the honour.
    Just as in 1995, where he was head of the youth system from 1992-1997 where Ajax won everything nationally and internationally with homegrown players.
    Almost reaching the final of the Uefa cup with AZ until a 95th minute goal from Sporting.
    The double in Portugal, coach of the year
    Promotions of Den Haag and Zwolle

And last but not least, don't forget reaching the Champions League with Willem II !!:D

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

Since AZ he never coached a club for longer than a year because he got into trouble with the management! We'll see.

I've no idea whatsoever what our squad will look like in a week's time let alone at the start of the season so I'm not making any predictions just yet.

9. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007

That's a cultural difference.
    Coaches in Holland don't want the board to get involved in how the team plays or who's playing. That's the way it normally goes here.
    And Co and Louis van Gaal are extremists in that matter.
    If the results will be a little disapointing after a while and Munsterman is going to put pressure on Adriaanse, he's gone I'm sure.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

The Twente board doesn´t get involved in football matters. Adriaanse was hired on the basis of talks he had with Schreuder and the other assistant coaches, for example. It wasn´t until those assistants gave their nod of approval that Van der Laan and Munsterman moved in. Continuity is key at Twente. The support staff IS the club, head coaches and players are passers by. That´s why the Twente head coach job has been relatively easy, you can pretty much slide into the job without much effort.

If Adriaanse wants to succeed at Twente he has to leave the infrastructure that´s already in place alone and get used to delegating. The head coach at Twente is the person in charge of match day. His powers don´t extend much further than that. So if Adriaanse can get used to that, I´m sure he´ll do well.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    About the Guidetti saga.

As some of you may know he had and passed his medical in Enschede a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that in the presence of his dad he not only gave his verbal agreement but also actually signed a preliminary, and legally binding, contract. Since then however Man City has offerred him a contract extension and a couple of other clubs made him offers, all no doubt better paying offers than Twente´s. Now Guidetti himself has not said a thing about this whole saga. His agent however has, and is accusing Twente of foul play. Now far be it from me to argue that Twente are angels. To survive in the cynical world of football you have to play dirty games sometimes. But here´s the catch. The Twente chairman claims that Guidetti´s agent is not his agent, as the two have fallen out. Which brings back memories of the Cisse thing. Who later ended up at Feyenoord (which was a blessing really because only because he went to Feyenoord we ended up signing Ruiz).

Anyway while our chairman says he´s pretty much in daily contact with Guidetti, he also says he´s going to sue him if he doesn´t comply with the contract. So overall yet another interesting player power issue it seems.

In other news, our new coach Adriaanse has apparently not asked for new signings, and Ruiz has said he will leave Twente only for a club that´s a significant step up, and a league that´s a significant step up. Janko has said he´s not going anywhere which makes sense as he was in the running for European topscorer when Adriaanse coached him at Red Bull Salzburg. Which in itself brings up an interesting issue. Who´s going to be our striker? We all know that Adriaanse plays a 4 3 3 only.

12. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Luukinho Skywalker of course...Janko is a battering ram but doesn't have the ball skills that Luuk does.

How about your midfield?

W.Janssen--Brama--Landzaat?

13. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    WHAT? You forgot the legendary "all-out-attack" kerstboom formation introduced by Co Adriaanse while being the coach of PEC Zwolle and ADO Den Haag?

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I remember Adriaanse playing three number 10s at AZ. It´s precisely the type of system that requires an out and out goalscorer like Janko! That´s why I think De Jong might become the victim in this.

The idea is to have Fer in left midfield. If he doesn´t sign we´ll be looking for another left footed creative midfielder.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Organised chaos I think the players called it at the time hehehe. However it will work out, it won´t be a boring Twente season that´s for certain.

16. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Is Willem Janssen not left footed? I have no clue but looks like he played primarily on left side of midfield with Roda last season for whatever that is worth.

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes he played from the left for Roda but he´s right footed. His preferred position is number 10. That´s what he claims himself anyway.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Some good news in the print VI this week. Janko staying, not a single club in a top league wants to sign Ruiz so far, and the third expansion of our stadium could already happen next year (the closing off of the ´canals´ with seats, in other words pulling the stands right over to the edge of the pitch the way they have it in England typically). Our commercial director Jan van Halst hinting at leaving at some stage though which is slightly odd.

Theo Janssen has left of course but otherwise looks like we´re going to keep our squad pretty much intact. The only player we in turn seem genuinely interested in is Fer.

19. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two questions for you, Johan.

1) What will be the final capacity of the stadium? IIRC it is going to be about 70,000. Is that correct?

2) Do you feel like your squad is going to be stronger with a new coach but essentially unchanged on-field personnel? Are you worried that, while everyone else is adding new players, Twente isn't?

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    70,000! Haha no we're not THAT ambitious. The maximum they can expand this stadium to is 44,000.

No I'm not worried at all. We'll likely get a new left back and a creative left footed midfielder. That should be enough for us to compete for the top spots in the Dutch league (if no-one else is leaving that is).

21. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Don't know where I got that number from. :eek:

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That'd make the Grolsch Veste the biggest stadium in the country by far! I don't think that'll ever happen to be honest.

Anyway transfer rumours: we're apparently VERY close to signing Fer.

23. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Great move by Fer, great move for the Eredivisie, great move for the Dutch NT and great move for Twente.

I'm happy that he stays in the Eredivisie.

24. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Echoed. Excellent move, hopefully no last-minute trip up!

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What I heard through the Twente grapevine is that Fer has pretty much agreed personal terms with Twente. Now the hurdle is the transfer sum.

The poker game between Van Geel and Munsterman has started and it´s pretty hilarious. Especially in light of the history between the two. Twente tried to get Willem Janssen last summer when Van Geel was still working for Roda. They asked too much money. Then Twente tried again at christmas, when Janssen still had five months left on his contract. Van Geel asked for over a million which of course inspired Munsterman to respond No Thank You (we zijn gekke Henkie niet). As a result we got Janssen for free this summer.

Now Munsterman says Twente have no money to spend. Which is pretty much a lie of course, but it´s also clever. He does have a point when he says that Dutch players are overvalued.

Don´t get me wrong, Feyenoord has every right to ask whatever they want for Fer. But Twente simultaneously has every right to refuse to pay silly money for a player who´s never played on a high level and who´s got one year left on his contract. If Van Geel wants to do another Janssen, and if Feyenoord wants to do another De Guzman, go ahead. Meanwhile this is another story illustrating why almost all clubs in the Dutch league are up financial shite creek and Twente is not as far as I´m concerned.

So we´ll have to wait and see how businesslike Feyenoord is and whether they can get over their pride and get real.