Utah Royals 2020 - And * Poof * They're Gone

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by KendaReal, Jan 3, 2020.

1. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word on the street is Laura Harvey is leaving the Royals for an opportunity with U.S. Soccer. Royals news has been pretty quiet this off season up until now. I really thought the team performed disproportionately to the amount of talent they had on the roster so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one but we'll still need to find someone to take the helm.

15 to 32 and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  2. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Jill Ellis is up to?

El-ahrairah and Ismitje repped this.
  3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the rumor when Ellis left the USWNT, but I didn't think that anything would come of it since Harvey hasn't been setting the world on fire with the Royals. I guess that shows how much I know about women's soccer.

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought she should be the next RSL coach but Royals would be ok, I guess.

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    We know one thing for sure, Laura will have the OLDEST U20 players possible.

6. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such a good point. What about how Laura managed the Royals made someone think "Yeah, she's our youth coach!".

Ismitje and goobx1 repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am only bothered by the timing of this vis-a-vis the start of the season. Otherwise I can't see much in her two seasons that suggests her coaching is indispensable to any success in 2020. With the resources Dell Loy has made available compared to other teams, and the lack of improvement to the side in the offseason, I foresaw a third year very frustrating year not making the playoffs.

@BlueCrimson might have a suggestion for outside coaches (roster builds are still underway so I don't think we need to stay with current assistants).

rslfanboy repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have you seen how things are being ran at USSoccer? Harvey must have a relative in the organization...

As for the Royals, this might be the best news and get my interest back into the club. I really had a hard time watching them pull the same slow old crap they pulled in year one. I was fine watching that team struggle with the belief that, with a proper off season to address the problems, they'd improve. Instead I felt like I was just watching a really poorly made shot for shot sequel.

PLEASE go get Jill Ellis (who, like Harvey with Petke) will be a better coach than that on the RSL side.

goobx1 repped this.
  9. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this organization has taught us anything it's that we can trust them to do a proper search for a head coach.

Buckle up, gang.

BalanceUT, El-ahrairah, 15 to 32 and 2 others repped this.
  10. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royals make a trade to move up the draft board. Goodbye allocation money, hello #8 spot!

RSLer repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes tree draft picks acquired in a week plus; it really isn't Laura Harvey in charge any longer.

SenordrummeR2 and RSLer repped this.
  12. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A tidbit about the direction we may be taking for roster builds now and in the future, courtesy of The Athletic:

"On Friday, Utah general manager Stephanie Lee said that she had the green light to use the team’s entire allocation budget — but she wasn’t necessarily going to do so in a way that most would have guessed.

“From a league perspective,” she said, there was an expectation that the Royals were getting the green light to spend big. “They look at Utah, they look at Portland, and they say, ‘They’re going to go spend that money, they’re going to go bring in big-name internationals and try and make a splash.’”

Lee, on the other hand, was hoping to use it specifically for trades. “How can we make the asset pool for trades more robust? Right now, people just have picks. It’s just picks and players,” she said."

15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what that last paragraph indicates tbh. Is she saying they hope to trade away current players and sweeten the deals by throwing in some cash in order to bring in better players?

Ismitje repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that part is from the general league portion of the article: allocation money can be traded for the first time in league history.

RSLer repped this.
  17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only speak from past experiences, but Riley didn't take over the Flash until late in the offseason in 2016, and they ended up winning the championship that year, so the late arrival didn't have a negative impact on the team's fortunes. Honestly, the Royals might be better off sticking with Parkinson until they're actually sure they've found the right fit.

Ismitje repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've taken nearly a month so far and reportedly interviewed fifteen people. I'd think if it was internal, we'd be done - unless we've offered it other places and been turned down a la RSL last Fall.

RSLer repped this.
  19. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Seems odd that they haven't found the right fit in 15 interviewees. RSL appears to me to be a top 4 place to coach in NWSL, unless we are lowballing or there's something else going on behind the scenes we haven't heard about.

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Seems odd” and “the FO” just seem to go together.

acima and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That number feels made up and like a way to appease fans who reacted so negatively to the RSL hiring being done without any real search.

Also, Jill Ellis

2nd Mouse and RSLer repped this.
  22. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royals announcing new head coach tomorrow.

23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who is it? News like this usually gets leaked somewhere.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christen Press has been insanely good in CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers, and has scored in six straight games going into the championship game against Canada. O'Hara and Sauerbrunn look good too, though the latter has a slight knock.

Allez RSL, trackrunner and RSLer repped this.