uswnt youth teams

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My guess on Tierna is she needs a bit of a break. I still thinks she suits up for the U20's if she is healthy. Heck if Mal Pugh wasnt injured she is still age eligable. Does anyone know when they are scrimmaging the Thorns? Camp breaks on Thursday, I would suspect she will name her roster before the week is over

2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Davidson is not going to be on the U20 roster. She's not played any recent games with the team and isn't at this camp. She's a regular on the senior squad, and I'm sure that's her focus now. It would be nice to have her on U20, but it's a lot to play on two NTs. Some do it, of course, but it's a lot.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

What’s the point for her? If she doesn’t get citizenship she gets good practice for the Brasil seniors.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    would ussoccer be facilitating that tho?

what's the point for them when a u.s. player could be getting that valuable practice? (which is why i think she may be closer than we know).

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i thought the same about pugh in the last u20 wc, but they still included her.

in our discussion at the time, one poster argued that the purpose of entering the tournament is to win it. i had heard that the (ussf's) purpose of entering YOUTH tournaments was to develop players for the senior team.

i'm hoping that they include tierna in the TON & give another young defender the chance in the u20 wc.

we'll see.

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The U20 roster should be named at any time...

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #57 luvdagame, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    ...hoping today. checking ussoccer constantly.

looking for answer to the davidson question, and whether kuhlman made it. they only take 4 or 5 forwards, so I doubt it.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    caps/goals:
    GK:
    00/00 Hillary Beall (Michigan)
    12/00 Laurel Ivory (Virginia)
    10/00 Amanda McGlynn (Virginia Tech)

DF: (total goals = 4)
    32/03 Emily Fox (UNC)
    17/00 Naomi Girma (California Thorns FC)
    11/01 Samantha Hiatt (Stanford)
    22/00 Tara McKeown (USC)
    19/00 Zoe Morse (Virginia)
    16/00 Kiara Pickett (Stanford)
    19/00 Isabel Rodriguez (Ohio State)

MF: (total goals = 13)
    36/05 Savannah DeMelo (USC)
    26/02 Jaelin Howell (Real Colorado)
    22/03 Brianna Pinto (NTH Tophat)
    12/02 Taryn Torres (Virginia)
    23/01 Viviana Villacorta (UCLA)

FW: (total goals = 43)
    04/02 Erin Gilroy (Tennessee)
    09/03 Penelope Hocking (So Cal Blues)
    24/06 Abigail Kim (California)
    33/11 Ashley Sanchez (UCLA)
    03/00 Alexa Spaanstra (Virginia)
    25/21 Sophia Smith (Real Colorado)

Smith + Sanchez have outscored the rest of the team, 32-28 :p

Namdynamo repped this.
  10. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #60 olelaliga, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Interesting that Torres is now listed as a midfielder. I personally think Emily Fox may be the best attacking center mid in the group, but it seems the USSF prefers to play their creative players on the flank. In her case as an outside back.

Very heavy in the PAC 12 and UVA (Swanson’s still on the sideline often shown speaking to Ellis)
    Sanchez has a large total goals at least in part because she has so many caps. Although I like her a lot at UCLA and think she is a multidimensional player. Some of the newbies, although with a much smaller sample size and I am sure less statistical significance, have as large or larger goals/cap ratios.

Lots of repeats from the u17. Hope they do better in France than they did in Jordan. However of interest the 2 duel u17 wc kids, kuhlman and tagliaferri, didn’t apparently make it. Although I think Kuhlman may be injured.

Of note I think
    Girma, Pinto, Spaanstra, and Smith I think are 00s and age eligible for 2020. I am really wondering how Pinto is going to do at UNC.

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Credit to Gilroy of Tennessee. Got invited to the penultimate U20 camp--her first U20 invite, I believe. Impressed enough to be taken to the tournament last month in France, where in four appearances had two goals and an assist and has now made the WC roster. That's not a typical or easy route to an WC team spot, to say the least.

olelaliga repped this.
  12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    in fact, the criticism of the ussf is that they don't do this. they pick their favorite players and stick with them. but this is how youth players develop - in sudden bursts. it's just that you can't destroy the whole camaraderie of the (especially girls') team by changing too many of them close to the tournament.

so gilroy is an interesting pick. have to keep my eye on her in the tournament.

olelaliga repped this.
  13. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redshirted in college, relatively low ranked out of HS. This is good news/inspiration for players who don't get press at early ages.

14. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Does anyone know if she redshirted because of injury or to add developmental time? I agree with you her inclusion should offer hope to others. I hope she is a starter.

15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Gilroy had been invited to at least one U17 NT training camp and I think one other training camp as well, not sure, but wasn't named to any rosters, which I read was a disappointment to her, unsurprisingly. She redshirted at Tennessee because of a knee injury--but Pensky seemed high on her before last season and she made an immediate impact as a right-footed right forward. Was one of the better players in the SEC last year. Has pace but is not super-fast; very tough-minded and competitive; good at getting the ball to center forward or others in the box. Has a good shot and would probably score more if she played on the left side of the field. Not sure if she'll start but should definitely see action--started the last friendly against Brazil, I think. I've not seen this team play, so eager to see them in action and the tournament, generally, which should be quite competitive.

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I saw Gilroy against us at the Sud Ladies cup, she was not bad, as I mentioned in another post.

One player that I found impressive against us and England in midfield when the teams were U19 was Taylor Kornieck who completely disappeared from the picture this season. Although not as technical as other midfielders who are selected, she brought, power, strength and a goal threat.

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  19. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    TimB4Last and L'orange repped this.
  20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    Namdynamo repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Namdynamo and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ...so they win the tournament.

jnielsen and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah when Sweden beat England all they needed was a draw to win it.

The interesting thing for me is how it pertains to U20s theories and how despite all the world is catching up stuff the US is still always a top team. This tournament was hardly an example of what ud get with a U23 WC but even with this small sample u can see that this still comes down to pros vs college students in the U20s. Once u throw a team team of US players with pro experience into the mix it levels the playing field. I think if there were a U23 WC the US would be competitive despite its failings at the U20 and U17 level because it would be our young pros against the young pros from the rest of the world.

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heinrichs will step down as Youth WNT Director at the end of the year. Thank god.

jnielsen, TimB4Last, Patrick167 and 3 others repped this.