USWNT vs Thailand P/M/P Discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kernel_thai, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Geez ...

This score looks like a Lyon French league match.

BlueCrimson and Calci0 repped this.
  2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    She loves these bad angle opportunities, and at times she does have success.
    We'll have to start calling her 85 degree Morgan.

Just one more touch over, and it's an even 90 degree angle.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Thailand GK made 6 or 7 really good saves.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's tough to find fodder teams in this trough in the cycle.
    European teams have Women's Euro quals, so they're not available at all.

Did we break a bunker with precision? Or was Thailand so bad that we just applied heat and they melted?
    (I was at a home match at exactly the same time)

5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    What a football game, and what a shutout.
    Touchdown for Carli Lloyd.
    Heather O'Reilly gets a "safety" by sacking the Thailand player into the goal net.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think the USSF releasing that statement during the broadcast translates to we asked her not to and told her if she did...

Namdynamo and RUfan repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ur free to take a crap but if u do it on ur bosses desk it probably wont end well.

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Anyone is free to act like a total @SS on a message board, but it doesn't mean you won't face a potential yellow card or even a potential suspension after too many yellows.

Or so I have heard.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As to HAO every time they give her a chance to play I wonder why they want to get rid of her.

lil_one, Semblance17, EbaJones and 2 others repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They didn't bunker. They probably should have. They rarely had any possession or crossed midfield q and only a couple of shots although one should have been a goal.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    So with O'Reilly gone, and Rapinoe facing potential punishment, it sure looks like Ohai may finally get that call up in October.

12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felt bad for HAO when they were honoring her.
    After watching the 1st goal, boy, that Thailand team average height makes the USA players look like giants. :ROFLMAO:

13. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I've tried not to comment on this whole issue. But my take is they are covering themselves. They are saying they don't "condone" the act, and explained what their standard is. But I don't see them taking action, as they'd be the 1st organization to do so. And probably don't want that publicity.

14. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Wambach would tear this Thailand team apart, even though she can only run as slow as she can walk now.
    She might not be fit, but at least she is slow.

15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they don't have to wear those low-cut, Colombia-style jerseys. :eek:

16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    yeah, but at least they had skimpy sports bras layered on underneath those jerseys. :eek:

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Well, at least Hao had a better (and more successful) final game than Wombat. :thumbsup:

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Probably because she was sober. :laugh:

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    True. This is not the sport to go out there as "non-sober".
    Although, I would hate to play against Abby when shooting some pool, or even in bowling.
    That "tunnel vision" she has would be too hard to compete against in those two sports.

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I have a few comments.

1) Why would Ellis use a lot of starters to beat up on a team that most U18 Club teams could beat? What did we get out of this other than padding Lloyds stats. Do it against a big team Lloyd and Ill be impressed.

2) HAO is a very good player and never deserved that shafting she got from Ellis since she took over. She could have contributed significant minutes if we werent stuck with a bonehead coach that is clueless. Her play last night showed she can deliver the ball consistently.

3) USSOCCER is setting up Rapinoe. The messeage they delivered is step 1 of a two step plan. If she pulls that crap in the next game they will suspend her and I hope it happens. Protest all you want on your own time. Don't embarrass me and every other patriot watching the game with your childish nonsense. I hope she does and I hope the league gives her a Solo because what she is doing is worse than what Solo did and the league needs to stop it NOW. If only the NFL would grow a pair and stop it as well

MRAD12, MiLLeNNiuM, kernel_thai and 3 others repped this.
  21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    As I said, someone being free to do something does not mean they are free of the consequences of doing so.

She's free to disrespect the country, but her doing so may (and should) mean she no longer gets to represent it.

skybolt, Semblance17 and FLaves repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully she will be suspended.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd has been playing well since the WWC last year, and won the FIFA WPOY. That's impressive. She had a hand (or foot) in 7 of the 9 goals last night, which is not an easy feat.

Thailand looked slow, but putting up 9 goals, and doing it with great ball movement, was a nice confidence booster. It's been a very long time since I've seen them put up so many goals. Also, I noticed at the end of the match a couple Thailand players hugging Lloyd and staring at her with admiration. Finally, Thailand came out and played an open game and got robbed 1 goal. The score could have been much, much lower for the USA if they bunkered.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree with it or not, it was an act of courage for Rapinoe to express herself at risk to her career and her reputation.

It's all too easy to go along with the herd -- to be "patriotic" when all you have to do is stand while they play the national anthem.

No meaningful change was ever achieved without somebody protesting about what they perceived was a problem -- and the complaints about the protesters are always the same: they're unpatriotic, inappropriate, attention-seeking, communists, etc. But a large percentage of the people we most admire were protesters.

I'd be a lot more upset about Rapinoe if I learned that she cheated on her taxes or didn't pay her plumber.

exref, blissett, BlueCrimson and 3 others repped this.