USWNT v Switzerland, Oct 23, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former player, I agree that chemistry matters...a lot. IMO, talent only takes you so far; chemistry and luck get you the rest of the way. Chemistry is not only learning to trust each other, but learning each player's tendencies and preferences. What type of run does player x typically make? Does she prefer the ball to her left or right foot? Chemistry also involves the team leaders: do you have players who are not only willing to step up and lead but are strong communicators and are players that everyone else respects and will follow.

And as a female, I'll say that chemistry may matter even more on women's teams. You don't have to be best friends, but in my experience, you just play better when you like the people that you're out there with.

Namdynamo and jackdoggy repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continuing the Chemistry theme - 6 months to experiment leaves 2 years to develop Chemistry. Jill has already stated that (# of existing) Caps mean nothing.........after this 6 month period, I'm expecting to be surprised with the makeup of the team - - - 22 yr. olds who will be 24 at the WC vs. 31 yr. olds who will be 33.
    But, as always, what the H. do I know. Jill is the one in her impenetrable bunker complete with all the test tubes and beakers.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Amen. I wanted add that. But, it seems like I already recently posted the same recently. And, I was in a hurry. But, yes, for sure.

4. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Oh, man. I used to coach an adult womens rec league team for fun. Adding new players to replace the natural attrition was brutal. I learned that you can't learn anything about a player from their 1st game with the team. A player's apparent ability would double, if not more, from the 1st game to the next - as they got more comfortable with the ladies and vice versa. The difference was amazing. Literally night and day sometimes.

And, it would take years for players to be accepted by the old guard. If they were accepted.

lil_one repped this.
  5. harold.kwok@comcast.

Oct 2, 2007
    USA
    I have no idea what people mean by having chemistry but for me, a good understanding of each other's play is important. With good understanding, a player can assume where the other player will be to receive back the pass. At the moment, it looks to me many of the players still have to look for where the other players are before she can send a pass. To break down a good defense, we need good understanding between our players so that when one runs into an empty space she can expect to receive a pass to her to score.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    I remember when Christen Press first joined the Red Stars and it was pretty frustrating to watch because it seemed like her teammates had no idea how to work with her or play her in. Then, quite a ways into the season, Melissa Tancredi rejoined the team. She had just gotten her chiropractor degree and had not been playing pro for months and months. Within about 3 seconds of her stepping on the field she and Press were connecting, effectively. It was a real light bulb moment for me to see what a difference the vision and experience of a mature professional made in getting an attack into high gear. I don't know that I would say that was "chemistry" as Christen and Melissa did not have a history of playing the game together, but their knowledge and sophistication in playing in a high level environment was totally apparent.

cpthomas and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.