USWNT v Switzerland, Oct 23, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to an article on ASN, Ellis says that she is giving herself about 6 months to experiment and then start determining a system and players:
    I'm expecting/hoping to see a rotation of newbies and veterans for the next few camps.

(The article also includes some quotes from Ellis, Long, and Sauerbrunn on the 3-5-2.)

BrooklynSoccer and lunatica repped this.
  2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would hope that she finds a system and then populates it with the best players to make that work as opposed to past practice of picking a group of players and key holing them into a system

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Pardon
    Interesting quotes from Ellis about a centerback being the QB of the team.

I thought that was what killed us vs. Sweden. Johnston was playing the QB role - really badly. Her passing was very poor. And, Sweden was just baiting us into that. They were shutting down our CMs and Sauerbrunn - leaving Johnston wide open to dribble into the midfield and give it away.

Namdynamo repped this.
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's all one way or the other. Rather, it's a process of looking at the potential players and the potential systems and figuring out what the best meld is of players and systems. It's not something that always is obvious, one way or the other. It takes experiments, some "no" results, some "maybe" results, and hopefully an ultimate "yes" result, that may keep evolving over time.

CoachJon, CrankyDefender and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    kernel_thai,
    since it's coming down once again to US vs Germany for world domination of the woso world, what you think of Jones new look? She's got them playing a lot speedier than Neid. Here they totally destroy the Dutch in the first half, Jones shows mercy and takes out all her goal scorers in the 2nd half.

the thing what gets me about the US despite they're impressive wins is that it takes them the 2nd half to do it, and that's against teams from small countries like Netherlands & Switzerland that don't have any quality subs to spare, so exhaustion on the part of the regulars usually kicks in

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to interject, but the funny thing is that the USA wears down even great teams, like Germany, in the 2nd half.

Calci0 repped this.
  7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    like they did against Sweden?(in their biggest game of the year)

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was more a tactical (or strategic) chess match more than anything else.
    I thought we were discussing wearing down teams from small countries (with fewer quality subs) versus really great teams that are stacked?

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    then why mention?

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your post.

My understanding of your original statement was that the USA's impressive wins were against weaker opponents (who didn't have quality subs), and that those wins were only happened in the 2nd half after the USA wore them down. My counter to that statement was that the USA beats even excellent teams in the 2nd half (i.e., that they are a slow start group, for whatever reason).

My apologies, if that's not what you initially meant.

Dundalk24 repped this.
  11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree but take the current system she is playing with. U have to have a lot of speed to pull it off. The fewer players u commit to guarding the same size space, the faster they have to be. If I were experimenting with a three back the first CB I would have looked at was Menges.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think the first step a new coach does is clean out people that were there because the coach liked them more than they were the top quality options. I think ur going to see that from Jones. The biggest problem the Germans have is the Bundesliga is like Rollerball. How many times in the last cycle was Neid able to put the 18 healthy players she really wanted together on the pitch?

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    my original post was mean't on the new Germany(new coach Stef Jones) vs the new US(all the new players Ellis brought in. In the past the US had it's way against Germany cause their coach, Neid, would gamble by playing a short passing possession game and bringing her fb's way up. But that would prove disaster the moment a high pressure, faster counter attacking squad like the US got a turnover. But at least Neid could say she had the last laugh by winning the Olympic games. Now Ellis has countered by finally bringing on way better performing players like Williams, Ohai, Dahlkemper. Still, Jones has switched the old German style to a much swifter attacking team while still keeping one eye on defense. Both clubs looked good in their last couple of squads, it's just Germany takes control tight away whereas the US only seems to do that in the 2nd half. So right now I would say Germany is better

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I look at Sweden as 1) a one off, PK win by a bunkering team and 2) Ellis's stubbornness in going at Sweden full force, leaving the back exposed. Maybe she panicked a little since we didn't have a target to lob balls in to. 3) we had a pretty fair amount of turnover pre-Olympics. The new players may have been better, but the chemistry was significantly reduced. Players like Dunn, Pugh, Long, Press had were not enmeshed into the team. (I know Press has been in the squad for a while, but what was her role in the WC? - Germany, otoh, is a machine, in that they've all played together forever. They could make passes into their teammates runs with blindfolds on).

I'm not saying Germany's not ahead of us right now. Hey, they just won the Olympics.

Ultimately, I feel like we as USWNT fans have a sense that it is now a birthright of the WNT to be the best team in the world - and if they're not, something is wrong. On the other hand, the snapshot from the Sweden match is not really indicative of where the team is going.

Namdynamo and cpthomas repped this.
  15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice conversation going on. I'm going to digress a second. I don't know where else to stick this but if it wasn't mentioned, attendance was a very nice 23,400. Also, on Equalizer, a reader named Som Termanni posted the TV ratings for US matches this year.

Please carry on

16. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Can you please expand on this.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, until the two teams play each other, everything is conjecture.

Although, historically I would say that Germany always seemed to get off to a fast start, whereas the USA always seemed to a slow start in their matches.

18. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I think it's nigh on impossible (for me) to say "right now" who is better. Funny how only one year can change the outlook for some observers. But I'm not going to read too much into things in terms of the future, even the next stages of this Quad. Time will tell whether Germany's struggles against the US have been more of a coaching/tactical issue or a German mental issue completely separate from Neid. Germany are the Olympic champions but obviously didn't have to face their biggest historical nemesis. The US were coming off a World Cup victory and no World Cup champion has been able to back up the next year and win Olympic Gold. I used to engage in speculating how the US will fare against teams based on the eyeball test but it has always proved to be a fool's errand so I've learned my lesson. The results (and quality of play) so often countered expectation. Matches against overmatched opponents can be flattering to the eye and likewise frustrations against said lower opponents can often prove deceptively heartening to future opposition. And it goes much further than just playing down or playing up the level of your adversary. The complexion, formation, and look of the US team in a couple years is a fun speculative activity but is really reading tea leaves at this point. It won't really be until next summer we start to get a more meaningful glimpse of how things are really shaping up.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, we didn't really have a meaningful glimpse of how things were shaping up in 2015 until half way through the World Cup.:D

CoachJon and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.K., I would suggest 4-6 matches per month.:D:D:D

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I immensely dislike the idea that "chemistry" on attack is a requirement to success. There should be a system that any good/great player should be able to learn & inject themselves into instantly, regardless of who else is on the field. Know the system and do your job & it shouldn't matter if you've never played with half the people on the team.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I really disagree with this. System or not, people have their own idiosyncrasies. You learn to minimize the weaknesses, capitalize on the strengths. Get your timing down. Learn to trust each other in the system - so you make that run knowing your teammate is going to make the pass. Or, make the pass knowing your teammate is going to make the run. Or, improvise your own variations on the system.

Just my opinion.

lil_one, jackdoggy, cpthomas and 3 others repped this.
  23. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chemistry is ridiculously important. I agree with RalleeMonkey here completely. Teams that ignore this (or other areas of psycho-social elements) are the ones that lose while leaving people scratching their heads as to how and why.

24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, however, I though it important to add that the reason chemistry matters. I believe it's because teams cannot take timeouts or breaks during a half; therefore, the coaches cannot help their players figure things out on the field (except if you have John Herdman's lungs ;)). Therefore, teams which are made up of players who know how to work together (to solve issues), typically play more cohesive football. And a good team beats good individual talent most times. Ellis harps about this all the time, and I cannot disagree.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire