USWNT v Switzerland, Oct 23, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Oct 20, 2016.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're insinuating that the noobies would do better against top 5 competition if we used a system that, objectively speaking, was best?

Or did you perhaps mean to separate the two points?

2. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohai played as one of the 5 midfielders. Short played as one of the 3 back.

I don't know if charity cap really is the right phrase. Almost more of a "every commentator in the sport is saying this player should get a chance" cap.

Admittedly, some of my thoughts on Short come from her amazing NWSL play. If she could replicate that at the national level she would likely stick.

skybolt repped this.
  3. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Agree. I would definitely give her more than one camp/two games to make that call. She has a lot going for her and I would most definitely not be writing her off at this point. Thought some of the facial close-ups we got of her, she was looking either stressed or disappointed with herself, of course I am just totally making that up from thin air, but not a good time to get in your head about your performance.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I was referring to the "5" in the 3-5-2. I'd never in a million years play Ohai as one of the "3".

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #80 kernel_thai, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Id be real surprised to see Sullivan called back for Romania. Why take her during the NCAA tournament...I think she already did enough to get a ticket to Jan Camp. On the other hand u may see Lavelle who could be done playing by then.

6. CrankyDefender

Apr 24, 2014
    Winning the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths is history making, pitching a world series perfect game in Yankee Stadium is history making; delivering a heavyweight championship TKO in the 14th round in Manila, Philippines is history making; long jumping 29ft 2-1/2 inches in the Mexico City Olympics is history making.

Making a goal in one second less time than somebody did 4 days prior is not history making.

MRAD12 and cpthomas repped this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis seems like she prepares and follows a script. Some posters don't like that, but it seems to be the case. So, you're probably right. We'll most likely see a good number of brand new players in November.

lunatica repped this.
  8. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Sullivan doesn't have a wikipedia page. That won't last long.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont agree...I think the fact that she didnt cap 4 of 10 tells me she is already close to plumbing the depths of the NWSL as she sees it. I might expect a couple new pros and maybe Lavelle from college if Wisconsin is out of NCAA's. There may be a couple other college players she'd look at if there teams were done for the season. For example, the only age appropriate players on the NWSL 1st or 2nd XI that havent been in r DiBernardo & Menges and Id be fine with both of those. It's also too early for anyone she may like from the 20s as theyll be in PNG.

The most interesting area for me is GK. I would have expected someone other than Campbell brought in so maybe we get some keeper this next camp.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or Cubs making the World Series?

11. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perception challenge question: Would you add "scoring a hat trick in the first half of a WWC" to your list?

The things that you've listed are not just historical, but also memorable. I was using the term historical implicit. Regardless of whether the previous record was set 4 decades ago or 4 days ago, she still broke a record & will be known as the fastest debut scorer for USWNT.. at least until someone else scores faster... then we celebrate that moment. It doesn't need any qualifications of memorable, it doesn't need any "yea, but" from some crab apple telling you why it doesn't mean anything in the long run... just celebrate it, damn it.

Dundalk24 repped this.
  12. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Because her college team is doing great without her and they don't need her for that 1st round? She would still have 5 days after camp to prepare for 2nd and 3rd round.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll see if she calls more in and, if so, how many. Your reasoning for her not calling many more in makes some sense, if you're right about the age appropriateness of potential NWSL candidates. I wonder about college players -- the target is the World Cup, which is three + years out, so she might bring some in, to see if they might pan out over a couple of years when they'll be in their young 20s, although that doesn't seem to be the ordinary route to the WNT (as distinguished from the youth WNTs). But, I'm thinking she might not want to poach players from college teams that are likely college cup contenders, and that's where a good number of the best players would be (and a lot of them already have been poached by the U20s).

My impression from something I heard on one of the Switzerland game broadcasts is that she sees the next 9 months as a period to give players looks. That suggests to me that she wants to be pretty settled on her basic player pool by the end of the summer 2017. Maybe I misheard on that.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    not necessarily better than against the swiss....

...but any uswnt team (old or new) would, it seems to me, do better against top teams by utilizing 4 in the back, than by playing 3.

practicing 3-5-2 against lower level teams, and when behind late against higher level teams is really valuable tho.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That plays both ways...they dont need her for Romania either.. It might be different with a better opponent.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If Lunatica is right and NCAA isnt a hindrance I could see her giving Jordan a look before the next NWSL forward.

17. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    You are right, they don't need her against Romania, but she needs every USWNT experience she can get, if they want her ready for 2019 WWC.
    I was speaking only about Stanford, so please don't apply my words to any different team. IMO Florida needs Jordan from the 1st round.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I just think Sullivan is a done deal. This isnt Williams where u can say Morgan, Leroux, Rodriguez arent there so sure she played. Ellis had her whole midfield there and Sullivan still stood out. And yeah u wanna build on that but the next big thing is way down the road and Jan Camp would be plenty of time IMO. I see this similar to letting Pugh concentrate on the 20s.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    On the other hand with Long getting married soon maybe she wont be in next camp and then Sullivan is a definite.

20. CrankyDefender

Apr 24, 2014
    Yes, I would add Lloyd’s WWC hat trick to the list, but way after the US Men beating England in Brazil, 1950 and way, way after the US beating the Russian Hockey Team in Lake Placid 1980. I think her feat, especially with the third goal to top it off, will have staying power over time.

So now you are parsing “memorable” from “history making.” How fast a goal is scored in a player’s debut is a pseudo-stat that TV and other sports wanks feel compelled to spout, like “The Knights have never won a game on Tuesday in the State of Maine.”

I did raise a glass for Kealia Ohai when she scored. She ought to get many more opportunities on the Nats, but it seems Ellis will continue to stand in her way.

21. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    #96 skybolt, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    It's interesting that Morgan was finally given the opportunity start a match against Canada in 2012 after 30 or so appearances as a sub. This was only after she came out of her shell and told Pia she didn't like being replaced by Leroux as a super sub against Mexico. Lauren Holiday was also given a chance to start after she confronted Pia. On the other hand, I feel that Ellis does not necessarily like outspoken young players who step out of line. When Ohai stated a few years back that she should've received a call-up after the 2012 U-20 WC, it probably rubbed Ellis the wrong way. Pia would've seen it as a positive act by a hungry player, but Ellis probably took a pen and crossed a big "X" over Kealia's name.

kernel_thai repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I was very critical of Sundhage holding Morgan back at the time but now I find myself concerned that young players r getting starting spots too quickly. If ur Mallory Pugh and already starting for the #1 ranked woman's team, what drives u to keep improving ur game?

23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing to Sweden :D

:cry:

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Character? Professionalism?

25. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The Ohai career has just begun to rise.
    But maybe Jill only brought her in to cap her, and prevent Ohai from playing for another country (Hawaii). :sneaky:
    Or maybe Jill will eventually warm up to Kealia.