USWNT v Switzerland, Oct 19, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Oct 6, 2016.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we have a roster, I thought I might as well go ahead and start a game-day thread.

The USWNT face off against Switzerland on October 19 in Sandy, Utah, at 7 pm MT. The game will be televised on ESPN2.

The roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Stanford), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

DEFENDERS (7): Abby Dahlkemper (Western New York Flash), Arin Gilliland (Chicago Red Stars), Merritt Mathias (Seattle Reign), Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), Danielle Colaprico (Chicago Red Stars), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Samantha Mewis (Western New York Flash), Andi Sullivan (Stanford)

FORWARDS (6): Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Shea Groom (FC Kansas City), Ashley Hatch (BYU), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Lynn Williams (Western New York Flash)

With so many new faces, I'd love to see everyone's guesses on a starting line-up. Who gets their first cap?

MiLLeNNiuM and puttputtfc repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... where it will directly oppose the 3rd Presidential Debate in Las Vegas :laugh:

Wednesday, October 19, 2016
    Third presidential debate
    Time: 9pm ET (8pm CT, 7pm MT, 6pm PT)
    Moderator: Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday
    Read more at http://www.uspresidentialelectionne...idential-debate-schedule/#tq3cDED5PymyUaBA.99

I'm predicting many stoppages, and a card for persistent infringement. That ref must issue some warnings early on, or he'll lose control ...

kolabear, exref, MiLLeNNiuM and 4 others repped this.
  3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you three guesses on which event is more important.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And o which event I'd rather watch.

kolabear and Semblance17 repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #5 kernel_thai, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Obviously it would be nice to see Ohai and Hatch get some time in front of friends and family. Here's a quote from Ohai snatched from Keepernotes.com about her family being at the match.

Nice family. I remember they had footage of her mom and dad in the stands celebrating her goal in the 2012 U20 WC.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to need the 12 days to memorize all the new names and faces.:D:D:D

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Actually, the numbers might be fun. Usually u dont see veteran's numbers handed out even if they arent in camp so with 11 new players it might look more like a bingo card than a roster.

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    This new roster should make a lot of people on this board very happy. ;)

So, NO Alex Morgan, Mallory Pugh, Julie Johnston, Meghan Klingenberg, Ali Krieger, or Megan Rapinoe.
    I'm really surprised that the first four are not on the roster (well at least Pugh and Johnston, the younger ones).

Or is this a subtle hint by Ellis, to the veterans who were called in, that they need to compete for their future? :eek:

exref repped this.
  9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Uh, isn't Pugh is training extensively with the U20s getting ready for the WC? Ellis probably thinks this is more important than a training camp 3 years from the next wc

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The 20s r have two matches with Venezuela starting today and after that they r headed to Australia where theyll have their last camp so her plate is full.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    When the CBA ends this might be the new reality.

12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis has said she's going to bring a bunch of new players in for looks. Some of you (k_t and others) were happy if she really meant it, but were skeptical. Apparently, she meant it. How about if the complaints stop for a while and we just see what happens?

Some players were not on the current "call in list" -- both NT veterans and players who haven't been called in yet. Maybe there's going to be a rotation of players in and out -- both NT veterans and players who haven't been called in yet. Why not wait and see what happens with the next couple of camps, rather than make unsupported assumptions, treat them as facts, and then complain about them? I know that requires keeping an open mind for a while, but is doing that so hard to do?

kolabear, CoachJon and taosjohn repped this.
  13. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    K_T yup that's my point

14. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    What complaining? I see some comments and opinion. Isn't that what a forum is about?

babranski and exref repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well, K_T and others feel a bit vindicated for having been complaining long and hard about giving the players in the NWSL a look if their play deserved it and on making the usual NT suspects a little more accountable. I had a driver ed teacher who told us the reason he only spoke up when u did something wrong was he didnt see the point in saying "good left turn". But hey, good left turn, Jill.

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who coached for almost 20 years, I can say unequivocally that a coach who "only spoke up when u did something wrong" doesn't know how to coach.:eek:

In coaching, :thumbsup: should be much more frequent than :thumbsdown:.

Airox repped this.
  17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G - i - l - l - i - l - l - i - p - p - i!

Oops! Boarded the right train, but stayed on too long :unsure: missed my exit

19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    GOALKEEPERS (3): 18-Jane Campbell (Stanford), 1-Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars), 24-Ashlyn Harris(Orlando Pride)

DEFENDERS (7): 14-Abby Dahlkemper (Western New York Flash), 11-Arin Gilliland (Chicago Red Stars), 15-Merritt Mathias (Seattle Reign), 5-Kelley O’Hara (Sky Blue FC), 4-Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), 8-Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars), 12- Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8): 6-Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), 22-Danielle Colaprico (Chicago Red Stars), 17-Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns FC), 9-Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns FC), 10-Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), 20-Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), 3- Samantha Mewis(Western New York Flash), 19- Andi Sullivan (Stanford)

FORWARDS (6): 16-Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), 2-Shea Groom (FC Kansas City), 21-Ashley Hatch (BYU), 7-Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), 12-Christen Press(Chicago Red Stars), 13- Lynn Williams (Western New York Flash)

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/nt/i...set-to-face-switzerland-on-wednesday-in-utah/

20. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    788155106969649155 is not a valid tweet id

exref repped this.
  21. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Can't wait to see Kealia Ohai, Ashley Hatch, Lynn Williams, Shea Groom, Andi Sullivan, and Jane Campbell.
    Dahlkemper and Gilliland as well.

The new era is just beginning.

Soon we hope to see Savannah Jordan, Rose Lavelle, Morgan Andrews, and Ashley Sanchez join the party.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not surprised Brian to grabbed 6 with Engen gone. Thought Press would go back to 23 tho maybe she has as both she and Sonnett r listed as 12

23. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Yeah, I think it's a mistake and Press will go back to 23.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All, please leave even humorous takes on the election in the Politics forum. Thanks in advance.

lil_one repped this.
  25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sullivan and Short are earning praise from Ellis:

Ellis quote from above link: "I don't know her [Sullivan's] internal feeling, but it has been a somewhat seamless transition to look at her in this environment. ... It's her high comfort level on the ball."

I'm excited to see who'll get first caps tomorrow.

lunatica repped this.