USWNT v South Korea, Oct 19 and 22, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    83' 6-0 Rapinoe harasses at 10m mid-right, pokes ball away and chases to 2m mid-right, stops ball and turns to face far touch. Ball trickles to 0.5m, Rapinoe scoops a cross over Kim Jung-Mi -- Kim reaches high, but only slaps ball across to 2m mid-left. Horan lurks thereat, one-touch backpass to 9m left post. Long is unmarked thereat, one-touch right instep across mouth, under Kim into 1/4 right back low.
    http://www.espnfc.us/video/latest-videos/600/video/3239898

FT 6-0. This NC crowd must have amped up the team.

MiLLeNNiuM and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thank you Smallchief. I wasn't able to watch the game today but I see Sofia Huerta played the whole game.

Does anyone else have comments on how she played today? It would be interesting to read.

Her normal position is not defender on the CRS so I am curious as to how quickly she is learning this position and if you guys think she is good enough to continue getting looks. We like her a lot in Chicago but trying to make the roster of the USWNT is a different ball game.

Thanks.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched and thought she did well as an outside back, from a defense perspective. Surprisingly, I thought she didn't do so well when she moved up in the attack. She seemed too prone to want to kick no-target crosses into the middle. But, I think she needs more time and experience with the team, she's young. Also, she's competing for the same position as Taylor Smith, who has impressed me when she played with the team. Time will tell ....

MRAD12 repped this.
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Huerta didn't have a lot of influence on the game. The US has a tendency to play toward the left side of the field, especially when Rapinoe is in the game, and Huerta was ignored on the right for much of the game. Likewise, as Korea's was mostly defending on the U.S.'s left , its players were mostly there, and Huerta didn't have too many defensive duties.

As a comment on strategy, Rapinoe should shift to the right flank more often and try to catch the other team's defense off guard. She and O'Reilly used to do that.

I recall that Huerta made several long through passes up the sideline to streaking forwards, mostly Williams and got forward to the endline a few times, winning a corner or two, or putting a good cross or two into the center of the field. Huerta demonstrated that she can boot that ball a goodly distance with either foot.

MRAD12 repped this.
  5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    different eyes...just the opposite.

to me she hits them with pace and little float. that's why she became the ck taker for the courage, and now even sometimes for the wnt.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost count of how many corners she had this year that floated so much that the keeper had plenty of time to get to them without any difficulty.

8. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sulli's been looking pretty good for Stanford and in her USWNT half.

Rose hasn't been back on the field except for about 10 minutes for the Breakers. I'm concerned/sad that she's not on the roster for the games vs. Canada.

RalleeMonkey repped this.