USWNT v New Zealand, August 3, 2016, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    http://totalsoccershow.com/podcasts/uswnt-2016-olympics-preview-10-things-to-watch-for/

good listen for those of you bored at work. Interesting talk about tactic lies *US saying we are in X formation, however, they really aren't* which is true and one thing Ellis talks about...how inter changeable she wants everyone to be. which is the best thing she's done for this team and program, imo. she's forcing everyone to be a better all-around player.

Bleed Blue repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    First time Ive listened to them and found it enjoyable and pretty knowledgeable. I will say it did have the feel of two guys who only pay attention to woso around a big event which I guess is better than not at all. Do the women feature often on their show?

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    crickets up in here.

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    lil_one repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its definitely a podcast that only focuses on woso in big events. I can't remember any mentions of the WNT since the WWC except for some on the wage/CBA stuff. For men's football, its a fairly intelligent podcast with pretty good discussions of tactics; I enjoyed their coverage of the Euros.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

yes, i really liked the HowlerMagazine podcast as well, despite the interviewer continually saying "i'm going to put you on the spot" followed by something like: "you don't have to answer this". I don't know what you mean about PSG, but thought both brought up interesting points and the more information and press the better for not only USWNT but women's soccer in general.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I certainly didnt think it was awful. They had a very practiced banter which didnt bother me but I could see how it could. They made a very good point about Morgan's true value to the team being about more than the goals she scores. As I mentioned above, I did get the impression that they were big event fans and not woso fans. It seemed that they watched the last few friendlies and were basing everything on that. There were also some factual errors. Also thought the part of Ellis being up for some men's jobs was off the wall.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lunatica and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  11. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013

12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    3rd stage group play.... oy vay.

13. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Prepare for lots of corner shanks against NZ and France.

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    First page!

Definitely not the buzz the WWC had but due to a much farther away, Visa-requiring, Zika invested, venue ... way less fans traveling (me included). Also some recent reports make it sound like lead in the air (re. "daily gunfights")may be a greater concern than mosquitoes or the water quality.

15. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'm not talking about fans IN brazil posting. I'M talking about everyone at home watching and posting.....and getting excited.

16. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should update my Shared Rosters spreadsheet from WWC'15 :laugh:

... really must finish some papers tho.

17. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I had to finish some things for UCLA this fall but I'm now focused on the Olympics. Woo Hoo lets get em girls! May you guys not come home with mosquito bumps filled with Zika virus.

cpthomas repped this.
  18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #19 BrooklynSoccer, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Thanks for posting this. I still think Tony is the mastermind behind this team, has been for 8 years. I think Jill has learned a lot from him and embraced him and become a much better coach in the last year.

This team is incredibly organized and very systematic in their approach.

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I hope the team understands a lot more of this than I do. To me whether u think Ellis is genius or a fool, she has never struck me as good at getting her points across in interviews.

21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Its time guys and gals, its time. Time for our Ladies to once again prove their superiority.

[​IMG]

Stadium opened in 1965 and holds around 62,000.

Belo Horizonte - - 280 miles north of Rio. 77 for the high on Wednesday, minimal wind, 50% humidity.

3 days shy of the 4 year anniversary of the Greatest Athletic Contest ever (well, my favorite at least) vs. Canada in Manchester. If we have a moment that approaches that Match in the next two weeks I’ll be thrilled.

Huge congrats to Hope, Carli and Tobin on being 3-time Olympians - tremendous accomplishment.

18 hours and 18 minutes to Kick.

2 0 1 6 W I L L B E G L O R I O U S

22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to have something good happen in 2016 for once.

Semblance17 repped this.
  23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    hahah, really?

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team: